Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I would not recommend "drive on it until it breaks".
Yeah I am gonna get it replaced as soon as I can find one. Prefer not have my car fall apart on the motorway. Particularly a very fast spinny bit. :)

I have forwarded this thread to my mechanic. Mopar centre very nearby so should be able to try out that part pretty easily / and chase down the Mercedes’ part if not.

great thread with excellent info. Thanks all!
I will be reporting back so others have the info once we work it out.

·
Vendor
3,743 Posts
All I see is something that looks like a disruption in the flashing around the stress relief hole.
I would not recommend "drive on it until it breaks".
Forehead Face Cheek Lip Chin

"HAHA" at the end should have gave away something to you.

·
Vendor
3,743 Posts
Yeah I am gonna get it replaced as soon as I can find one. Prefer not have my car fall apart on the motorway. Particularly a very fast spinny bit. :)

I have forwarded this thread to my mechanic. Mopar centre very nearby so should be able to try out that part pretty easily / and chase down the Mercedes’ part if not.

great thread with excellent info. Thanks all!
I will be reporting back so others have the info once we work it out.
I don't have access to the guibo right now but me thinks the 75 rear will work. If you can measure distance front hole to hole and so forth I can tell you if it does. I have plenty of them available.

·
Supporting Vendor
705 Posts
I don't have access to the guibo right now but me thinks the 75 rear will work. If you can measure distance front hole to hole and so forth I can tell you if it does. I have plenty of them available.
I just snapped a photo of the Milano (75) Front, Center, and Rear flex discs, with a Giulia flex disc in the foreground.

The front and rear Milano (75) discs are close in bolt circle but a little thicker than the Giulia part. Moreover, there are enough design differences that I wouldn't recommend trying to use one.

I have replaced the disc on a Giulia and it is not a pleasant job. They can become quite attached to the yoke on the driveshaft and require some violence to remove, even with the driveshaft removed from the car.

White Bicycle part Rim Font Circle

·
Vendor
3,743 Posts
It is pretty unique for sure, typical Alfa. I would not mess with other flex discs that may look like they will work it never works out in the owners favor.

I do have a good used one but it comes with the shaft.

These flex joints are more advanced than the older styles. Due to the combination of materials, the permissible tension in the rubber-fiber composite it is about 15 times that what elements made purely of rubber would be able to withstand. This allows extremely high torques to be transmitted without any problems in very tight spaces.

One major method of differentiating between the various designs is according to their internal structure. For one, a distinction is made between flexible drive couplings with a preferred direction and flexible drive couplings for reversible operation. Even though I laughed at the fact that maybe we can use another application, I realize that is way too simplistic. There is much more going on with the flex disc and another application may not be suitable at all and fail or cause other components to fail besides the flex disc.

I am sure in the near future we will have replacements from the aftermarket but until then, replace with OEM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I have sent a complaint letter to FCA/Stellantis. Will see if anything comes from that.

In the mean time -- it seems like plenty of Jeeps are in the same boat - 2011 Grand Cherokee rear flex coupling replacement - Jeep Cherokee Forum

But the most interesting pickup is the GAD01-010-0 - I can pickup an SGF (OEM for a number of germans) locally for minimal cost - SGF Drive Shaft Coupling/Flex Joint - GAD01-010-0 - so I have ordered as they will do free returns if it's not right.

It's quite an adventure this Alfa ownership.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,189 Posts
It is pretty unique for sure, typical Alfa. I would not mess with other flex discs that may look like they will work it never works out in the owners favor.

I do have a good used one but it comes with the shaft.

These flex joints are more advanced than the older styles. Due to the combination of materials, the permissible tension in the rubber-fiber composite it is about 15 times that what elements made purely of rubber would be able to withstand. This allows extremely high torques to be transmitted without any problems in very tight spaces.

One major method of differentiating between the various designs is according to their internal structure. For one, a distinction is made between flexible drive couplings with a preferred direction and flexible drive couplings for reversible operation. Even though I laughed at the fact that maybe we can use another application, I realize that is way too simplistic. There is much more going on with the flex disc and another application may not be suitable at all and fail or cause other components to fail besides the flex disc.

I am sure in the near future we will have replacements from the aftermarket but until then, replace with OEM.
If you were replacing the disc on an Alfa Giulia, how did you get the replacement part?

Maybe the OP should try APE in Tracy California? Probably still discs + driveshaft, but the price for a (barely) used part will be lower than for new.

Is Nylon really flexible enough for this application?

I guess all of us should be periodically checking these.

·
Vendor
3,743 Posts
If you were replacing the disc on an Alfa Giulia, how did you get the replacement part?

Maybe the OP should try APE in Tracy California? Probably still discs + driveshaft, but the price for a (barely) used part will be lower than for new.

Is Nylon really flexible enough for this application?

I guess all of us should be periodically checking these.
Driveshaft and coupling only
Font Tool Elbow Parallel Titanium

Newer Flex discs have Nylon bands in them and I am not sure I am interested in making something for this. I am not seeing an issue with them yet to be concerned enough to make something.

Flexible drive couplings have multiple bolt holes that are surrounded by wound fiber bundles and rubber. The bolt holes are alternately connected to the drive flange and the output flange via a bolt connection, a threaded bush, or a socket pin. The torque is transmitted via the fiber bundles in the flexible drive coupling.

During this process, the fiber bundles are subject to stress along the direction of pull, and exhibit elastic behavior under strain. Apart from compensating for axial, radial, and angular misalignment, flexible drive couplings can therefore also be used to dampen torsional vibrations. Drive shaft couplings have a particularly high degree of efficiency due to the fiber technology used. This fiber technology allows the strength of fiber bundles to be combined with the damping properties of rubber (Figure 2). It allows extremely slim space- and material-saving designs to be integrated into all types of couplings. This not only has the advantage of reducing the weight of the coupling, but also provides good accessibility and makes maintenance extremely easy.

In flexible drive couplings, the elastomer (RUBBER SURROUND) serves to support and protect the fiber bundles, and also insulates against noise, as the solid-borne noise is disrupted via the structure of the material.

Automotive tire Automotive design Audio equipment Automotive wheel system Font

Auto part Circle Metal Composite material Household hardware

Unlike common rubber couplings that work with shear load or pressure load on the rubber, SGF says the tension load principle ensures that the cord inlays transmit most of the load providing a better tolerance to shock loads and a higher power density ratio, resulting in the ability to transmit higher torque with a smaller coupling.

SGF cautions workshops and mechanics against using cheap copy couplings as they say these do not offer the same NVH cancelling properties as the original SGF product, resulting in vibration and noise issues. Further, it says that in many cases, copy couplings cannot handle the vehicle torque and RPM and so have the potential to cause serious injury and damage.

Font Auto part Engineering Bicycle part Circle

From the original post, I am not sure the flex joint is failing at ALL but is more superficial cracking. I don't think it is failing. These are not like OLD style flex discs.

My suggestion? Leave it alone, otherwise replace with original unit. Do not mess with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Fascinating. I have ordered an SGF coupling as per the link above, so it should be quality as well, however looking at the internal structure it certainly looks like that could just be superficial cracking to the rubber dampening. I can return the unit for a full refund anyway. Will forward this to my mechanic.

Awesome information! Thanks.
Anyone want to chop up an old disc and see what’s inside the OEM one? Considering they are impossible source - I figure not

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So after rummaging through a lot of BMW, Merc/AMG forums it seems like a couple cracks aren't much to worry about in these modern discs. The expected lifespan would be 100-150K KMs, or 8+ years or so depending on the environment and treatment.

There were even photos of complete failures and people driving on complete failures for a few days before they realised what the problem was!

So I think we'll leave it be. Going on the hoist in a couple of days for a couple of other things, will get the mechanic to take some photos and will monitor it over the next year I think.

·
Vendor
3,743 Posts
So after rummaging through a lot of BMW, Merc/AMG forums it seems like a couple cracks aren't much to worry about in these modern discs. The expected lifespan would be 100-150K KMs, or 8+ years or so depending on the environment and treatment.

There were even photos of complete failures and people driving on complete failures for a few days before they realised what the problem was!

So I think we'll leave it be. Going on the hoist in a couple of days for a couple of other things, will get the mechanic to take some photos and will monitor it over the next year I think.
I am pretty sure I saved you that time. ;) lol Glad we are now on the same page. ;) Leave it alone, it will let you know when it it's going to fail.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I am pretty sure I saved you that time. ;) lol Glad we are now on the same page. ;)
Ahaha. Sometimes I just like to be sure, to be sure, to be sure. Particular when it comes to a driveshaft coming loose on the motorway. :)

Thanks heaps for your help @Alfissimo ... still interested to see how other people's cars go over the next couple of years with these parts. I am planning on keeping my Giulia for few more.

·
Vendor
3,743 Posts
Ahaha. Sometimes I just like to be sure, to be sure, to be sure. Particular when it comes to a driveshaft coming loose on the motorway. :)

Thanks heaps for your help @Alfissimo ... still interested to see how other people's cars go over the next couple of years with these parts. I am planning on keeping my Giulia for few more.
Haha, just giving you a hard time. No worries. Let's hope the aftermarkets come up with a solution. I will light a fire under their arse to get something going.

·
Vendor
3,743 Posts
Just for fun. The QV Driveshaft and Coupling is about $1000 less than the RWD and Q4 models.

55272617-AWD

$1890

55272616- RWD

$1,890

55275620- QV

$795.00

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I just snapped a photo of the Milano (75) Front, Center, and Rear flex discs, with a Giulia flex disc in the foreground.

View attachment 121054
I just came back to this - the Giulia coupling in the foreground, is that OEM? It is stamped SGF -- whereas the previous picture is stamped Hitachi. SGF make them for heaps of OEMs so it might be possible to source directly from SGF or channel -- or get some information from them at least (considering how helpful Alfa and FCA are).

·
Supporting Vendor
705 Posts
I just came back to this - the Giulia coupling in the foreground, is that OEM? It is stamped SGF -- whereas the previous picture is stamped Hitachi. SGF make them for heaps of OEMs so it might be possible to source directly from SGF or channel -- or get some information from them at least (considering how helpful Alfa and FCA are).
The OEM flex disc has SGF stamped on one side and Hitachi on the other. The part is under an OEM contract with Alfa and can not be sold in the aftermarket, unfortunately.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Cool, well it's nice to know that SGF have a good track record with other manufacturers and it should hold together for a while, despite a couple of cracks.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts