Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my Giulia since March 2017 and done 12,000 miles. During the routine service in December, the dealer noticed oil in the expansion tank. No warnings, no problems. It was off the road for 7 weeks and I still have a dark coloured liquid in the expansion tank.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Oil in the coolant is a serious problem and IMO the dealer should find and fix the problem or replace the engine promptly.

I think there is both oil and coolant in both the turbo and oil cooler, providing venues other than the engine for oil to get into the coolant. However, if coolant is getting into the oil the oil is not lubricating properly.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Yikes! I also think this is serious. Dealer is investigating, I presume?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I’ve had my Giulia since March 2017 and done 12,000 miles. During the routine service in December, the dealer noticed oil in the expansion tank. No warnings, no problems. It was off the road for 7 weeks and I still have a dark coloured liquid in the expansion tank.
What do you mean still? Wasn't the problem fixed?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
what model do you have?? and is this the first service your car has received??
reason for my questions: as you did not have any bells/whistles go off, trying to see the timeline....because if it was in for a service prior..they (dealer) either did not pick it up (unlikely as they picked it up now) or this is something that is recent..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s a 2.2 diesel, Speciale. I’m still concerned but the dealer assured me that no coolant had mixed with the oil in the engine. The heat exchanger has been replaced, system flushed x7 and I’ve been told to keep a check on the consistency of the fluid in the expansion tank.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK, then there way just be some residual oil left. Keep an eye on it. Was the tank removed and flushed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, tank removed. I got the car back 8 days ago and have been checking the consistency of the fluid in the tank to make sure no oil is in there.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
It’s a 2.2 diesel, Speciale. I’m still concerned but the dealer assured me that no coolant had mixed with the oil in the engine. The heat exchanger has been replaced, system flushed x7 and I’ve been told to keep a check on the consistency of the fluid in the expansion tank.
okay so your in Europe? as we have no diesels here in North America....please keep us posted.
Also if I may, how is your dealer network there? in the US it can be hit or miss unfortunately..
hope it gets resolved quickly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer network hit and miss here......6 Alfa’s down and the current dealer is the best I’ve found. Great at sales, good at service so far.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Great at sales, good at service so far.
The bane of Alfa in the U.S. so far...Service is looking like a weaker point than anything else, but hopefully it's just due to ramp-up time...but worrying to hear it's a problem elsewhere too.

Interesting to hear about a diesel, how does the engine perform?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts