Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you mean Auto Start/Stop? It will not engage if your battery is low or maybe even when A/C is set at maximum. There's also a button to turn the feature on and off on the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Hi,

Conditions in which the auto stop may not engage:

1) Your car brand new with less than 300 miles in the ODO. The battery has not yet been fully charged by the system and needs a few miles to active the system.
2) The AC temp is set low and the HVAC system has not yet been able to reach the desired temperature setting.
3) Engine has not warmed up enough.
4) Drivers seat belt not fastened.

You should see a small notification on your dash signaling that the "auto stop/start feature is unavailable". This does not mean there is a problem with the system.

If the system is actually faulty, you will see the picture below on your dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
My auto stop/start has been coming on with less than 300 miles on the car, so it is probably for one of the other reasons. Now that I see the parameters, I think I have noticed that it does not always come on at the first stop or two for me, so now it makes sense, either due to #2 or #3.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Speaking of disabling Start/Stop, my Porsche guy said he can permanently disable Start/Stop on Porshes (before they caved in and let the button remember previous setting) by using his fancy ODB2 scan tool/programmer. I wonder if the same is available on Giulias. It should be just a software toggle switch or change the default value of a single variable.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Speaking of disabling Start/Stop, my Porsche guy said he can permanently disable Start/Stop on Porshes (before they caved in and let the button remember previous setting) by using his fancy ODB2 scan tool/programmer. I wonder if the same is available on Giulias. It should be just a software toggle switch or change the default value of a single variable.
Take your car to him and let him figure it out. We have been waiting for such a feature to be introduced. The Auto Stop/Start feature gets old really, really quickly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Take your car to him and let him figure it out. We have been waiting for such a feature to be introduced. The Auto Stop/Start feature gets old really, really quickly.
You know what, I will. As soon as I get it back from the shop hopefully in a day or two. He was able to disable automatic lowering on a Range Rover during highway speed, so why not this.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There are several conditions which inhibit Stop&Start from being activated, among which:

- Engine still cold
- Outside temperature too low
- Insufficient battery state of charge, state of function or state of health, or battery monitoring system still performing calibration
- Wipers at maximum speed
- Driver door not shut
- Unbelted driver
- Car in reverse
- Cabin temperature too far from HVAC set temperature, or HVAC set to Lo, Hi, or Max Def
- Barometric pressure over threshold
- Steering angle over threshold (more than half a turn)

·
Registered
483 Posts
There are several conditions which inhibit Stop&Start from being activated, among which:

- Engine still cold
- Outside temperature too low
- Insufficient battery state of charge, state of function or state of health, or battery monitoring system still performing calibration
- Wipers at maximum speed
- Driver door not shut
- Unbelted driver
- Car in reverse
- Cabin temperature too far from HVAC set temperature, or HVAC set to Lo, Hi, or Max Def
- Barometric pressure over threshold
- Steering angle over threshold (more than half a turn)
As always, thank you for the info.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So, just talked I my guy that specializes in Porsches, old Ferraris and such. He said YES, the auto Start/Stop can be permanently toggled off or made to default to OFF, you need a gadget called Leonardo Programming and Diagnostic Tool https://www.leonardodiagnostictool.com It is normally for Ferraris but it will work on most Italian cars. He has the tool, but unfortunately does not have the latest software update that would include the Giulia yet. Soon.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So, just talked I my guy that specializes in Porsches, old Ferraris and such. He said YES, the auto Start/Stop can be permanently toggled off or made to default to OFF, you need a gadget called Leonardo Programming and Diagnostic Tool https://www.leonardodiagnostictool.com It is normally for Ferraris but it will work on most Italian cars. He has the tool, but unfortunately does not have the latest software update that would include the Giulia yet. Soon.
The cheapest one is $3,000? I think I will just keep pushing my button!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think the idea is to find a shop that already owns one and I'm sure they'll do for $50

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
The box is $3000 or more, but I think you have to buy an expensive annual SW license to go with it.

I wonder if the guy(s) at Torque Pro can implement something like this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts