Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined!

I have been a long term Alfa Romeo fan and my Italian roots only support that. After few years with the germans (which are great cars by the way), I decided to come back to Alfa, by ordering a Giulia Ti Sport in Misano Blue. Very excited to have an Alfa again!

Bruno Cavalcanti

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just joined!

I have been a long term Alfa Romeo fan and my Italian roots only support that. After few years with the germans (which are great cars by the way), I decided to come back to Alfa, by ordering a Giulia Ti Sport in Misano Blue. Very excited to have an Alfa again!

Bruno Cavalcanti
Congrats Bruno - you're going to love it!!

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Just joined!

Bruno Cavalcanti
Ok so I have to ask on behalf of the Italians on this forum...How did you(your family) end up in Iowa??:grin2:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Ciao Bruno! Avanti! :biscione: :D

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
M, believe it or not, there are all kinds of people in Iowa.

people should visit more places more often.
I'm sure there are, did not mean any slight....but frankly as an immigrant myself...to set roots down in Iowa is not common because when we came to America, family that was already here was very important in helping us assimilate in our new home....I have family in California that moved on and left the East coast as well as in Toronto Canada...was just curious....
and as far as visiting places more often...I do travel quite frequently only not as much in the US as perhaps I should

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok so I have to ask on behalf of the Italians on this forum...How did you(your family) end up in Iowa??:grin2:
Not sure if this is relevant to the OP, but there is actually a large Italian-American community in Des Moines, particularly on the south side. Many immigrated to the state in the early 20th century to work in coal mines, which used to be a big industry in the state.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Not sure if this is relevant to the OP, but there is actually a large Italian-American community in Des Moines, particularly on the south side. Many immigrated to the state in the early 20th century to work in coal mines, which used to be a big industry in the state.
Really interesting....there is a nice Italian-American Cultural Center in Des Moines....and yes Italian's from the North immigrated for work in the coal mines....thanks for the tip...learn something new everyday:wink2:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
you mean they aren't there to escape la familia?
it's not all witness protection relocations?

the biggest employers in Cedar Rapids are Rockwell (aerospace) and Transamerica (insurance), so maybe some are there for employment opportunities.

or if a farmer in Italy, NYC might not have been their preferred destination in the US.
although I confess to not seeing any lamborghinis at the tractor museum.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
you mean they aren't there to escape la familia?
it's not all witness protection relocations?

the biggest employers in Cedar Rapids are Rockwell (aerospace) and Transamerica (insurance), so maybe some are there for employment opportunities.

or if a farmer in Italy, NYC might not have been their preferred destination in the US.
although I confess to not seeing any lamborghinis at the tractor museum.
now why would you say something stupid like that?? about organized crime and witness protection
and those that immigrated to Iowa, I read in their article, came from Northern Italy for work in the big coal mines that were there.
further Italian immigration came from different parts of Italy at different times, and clearly not everyone stayed in NY for lots of reasons...
if you have a problem with me...let me know...I speak from personal experience only....can you say the same?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
hey M, sorry.

meant as a light hearted joke on a very common stereotype - and your first post expressed "wonder" that Italians would be in Iowa, especially with family ties.

I think I did try to point out there were a number of reasons for Italians to be there, even beyond coal mining.

the only Italians in my family are indirect through marriage, but it's not that different from other immigrant groups that I do have more personal experience with. if it matters, Italian neighbors and work colleagues everywhere I've lived - and yes, more here in MA.

and yes, I have been to Iowa, there's also a pretty good motorcycle museum there.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
hey M, sorry.

meant as a light hearted joke on a very common stereotype - and your first post expressed "wonder" that Italians would be in Iowa, especially with family ties.

I think I did try to point out there were a number of reasons for Italians to be there, even beyond coal mining.

the only Italians in my family are indirect through marriage, but it's not that different from other immigrant groups that I do have more personal experience with. if it matters, Italian neighbors and work colleagues everywhere I've lived - and yes, more here in MA.

and yes, I have been to Iowa, there's also a pretty good motorcycle museum there.
I apologize as well, I am sensitive to those things as I have experienced that kind of stereotype....
My family immigrated here (USA) just after WWII..my Mom in 48 and my Dad in 54. They met & married here...both from the North...they came for opportunity and the fact that Italy was FLAT after the war...(Dad managed to get work in Zurich in Hotels but that is another story LOL)
I ended up being born there and lived there until the age of 5/6....
I consider myself American-Italian....:grin2: all that I have is because this country gave my family opportunity...
again I apologize for jumping on your post...

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
hey, I wasn't sure if you were yanking my chain with the stereotype (some like to play it up) or if I had stepped over that line. sometimes I step into it with my wife's family - they can say stuff but I have to be a little cautious.

my 90 something next door neighbor here (his wife just passed away) were also postwar Italian immigrants; their children moved them out here to the boonies when they got older, and they miss(ed) the community they had in S. Boston.

my Italian next door neighbor in CA was like my Dad, trained in WWII in CA, served in the Pacific, and after the war decided to leave the east (Dorchester) and family and move to CA.

seems half the people on my block in CA were from MA - nobody on my block here is from CA.

a famous non-Italian from MA relocated to our CA town; ****** Bulger .

of course after your post I'm a little nervous about having offered my home as a meeting of the quads location. (joke intended!)

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
hey, I wasn't sure if you were yanking my chain with the stereotype (some like to play it up) or if I had stepped over that line. sometimes I step into it with my wife's family - they can say stuff but I have to be a little cautious.

my 90 something next door neighbor here (his wife just passed away) were also postwar Italian immigrants; their children moved them out here to the boonies when they got older, and they miss(ed) the community they had in S. Boston.

my Italian next door neighbor in CA was like my Dad, trained in WWII in CA, served in the Pacific, and after the war decided to leave the east (Dorchester) and family and move to CA.

seems half the people on my block in CA were from MA - nobody on my block here is from CA.

a famous non-Italian from MA relocated to our CA town; ****** Bulger .

of course after your post I'm a little nervous about having offered my home as a meeting of the quads location. (joke intended!)
we are good..no worries at all....:smile2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hehehe, fair question. In fact, my originally Italian family immigrated to Brazil for better opportunities. I am a Dentist, moved to the US few years ago to get trained in Michigan and received a job offer to move to Iowa City. It has been just a year now. Good to know about Italian-Americans in Des Moines! I do not see many here in Eastern Iowa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am probably way too excited to find this thread. I also live in Iowa, Council Bluffs actually, and I have yet to see another Giulia. So I was pretty surprised to see this thread, and to see somebody else from CB in here.

I've only had mine since the end of February, but I'm still shocked that I haven't seen any on the road.

Oh, and to add into the discussion about Italians in this area. Omaha Nebraska (across the river and basically a suburb of Council Bluffs) has a HUGE Italian population, with a long history in the area. Some of the local Italian history is steeped in some old American mob stories. Meyer Lansky (associated with the Jewish Mob) used to own a dog track in CB, and strongly influenced the growth of the Italian Mob and it's ties to Vegas. Omaha used to be the home of some of the largest bookies in the country, the Kansas City and Chicago bookies would lay off a lot of their heavy action with the Omaha bookies.

Sorry, back to the car. The Alfa Romeo dealership in Omaha had about a dozen 2017 still on their lot (with about 40 2018s) in Feb. My old lease was about up, so I started looking at the Giulia. I found a base model Q4, in Montecarlo Blue, I think the only extra it has is the 'winter' package of heated seats and a heated steering wheel. I love it! This car is exceptional in every way.

Anyway, just excited to find other owners in the state.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.