Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had not seen a thread yet of dealers trying to screw customers by charge $10K to $20K over MSRP. My dealer in Seattle listed the car at MSRP on the Alfa dealer website but wanted $10K more when I got in the showroom. I made such a stink threatening to go a Yelp / social media rage that I got them down to MSRP but I was wondering what the experience was like for other owners?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Which Seattle location? Ferrari Maserati of Seattle is great to work with and they are asking MSRP. My Quadrifoglio is currently there getting the amp replaced. They do great work and take care of me well. In a Giulia loaner now. Q4. Nice car, just doesn't compare to my Quadrifoglio!

I bought mine in Idaho though. I paid MSRP. No price haggle at all. Easy buy.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Premiums

really market dependent....dealers in my Brother's area (Bay Area)were asking for 5k to 15k over MSRP for Quads..
the initial batch of cars, launch cars for lack of a better word, were MSRP...some people paid a premium...myself and Kanundrum didn't..we paid MSRP for our cars which we got in Dec. of 2016.
member mc3456 actually got a discount on his car, though I believe it was the very next batch of Quads that arrived in Feb./March?
as far as dealers asking premiums...let em ask...buy elsewhere...it's their choice...they may find someone who can't wait and will pay...though that has happened less frequently...not sure if anyone on this board paid over MSRP

·
Registered
44 Posts
really market dependent....dealers in my Brother's area (Bay Area)were asking for 5k to 15k over MSRP for Quads..
the initial batch of cars, launch cars for lack of a better word, were MSRP...some people paid a premium...myself and Kanundrum didn't..we paid MSRP for our cars which we got in Dec. of 2016.
member mc3456 actually got a discount on his car, though I believe it was the very next batch of Quads that arrived in Feb./March?
as far as dealers asking premiums...let em ask...buy elsewhere...it's their choice...they may find someone who can't wait and will pay...though that has happened less frequently...not sure if anyone on this board paid over MSRP
...I had to fork over 5K "premium" to get the MC Blue QV off the Floor in Tempe AZ....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I paid MSRP without any haggling and got them to ship it for free, since I bought it halfway across the country.
You dont have to buy from your local dealer if you're not happy with the deal.
That's what the internet is for?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I had not seen a thread yet of dealers trying to screw customers by charge $10K to $20K over MSRP. My dealer in Seattle listed the car at MSRP on the Alfa dealer website but wanted $10K more when I got in the showroom. I made such a stink threatening to go a Yelp / social media rage that I got them down to MSRP but I was wondering what the experience was like for other owners?
I will pay MRSP when my Q arrives (August hopefully) on Long Island, NY. I'm 100% in favor of the free market, but that also means we consumers can decide never to buy from a dealer that's asking a premium. If you decide to pay the extra, then you can't really complain if there are alternatives.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Kirkland dealership was asking 10% over MSRP for their base Giulias back in late Feb - told me that Quads would be around $120k....lol I subsequently bought in Tacoma - very pleasant experience

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Back in March, where mc3456 got his, the salesman I know was saying they might try for 5 to 10K over. I sat in the car that mc got and took lots of pics. I knew that I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger until later this year so I didn't worry about it too much. Since mc got the discount and the next quad there sold slowly with carbon brakes, I don't think the premium is going to apply, or did in the second case either. When I order, which may anytime between now and October, I will see what they say. If they try for a premium I will consider it and tell them I can got to 4 other dealers, including Miller in CT or even FoNE down the street here. I think Boston DMD ordered from the midwest. Maybe he will chime in soon?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
$1500 over invoice which equals to $4000 off MSRP on my MY18 Q.....
Don't get taken advantage of.....

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I think MSRP is acceptable on this "lower" volume car. It doesn't deserve the call for a "premium" or essential "gouge" especially with a company trying to gain a foothold here.

I am sad to hear some dealers are continuing to do this, it hurts the brand. An established brand with a main stream following can get away with this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Simey, Second attempt at this post: tech challenged. I bought an RC Quad from Brown's in Patchogue after canceling my order in the city. Short version is that they had a terrible offer for my 4C trade so I starting looking elsewhere and found the exact options I ordered from Manhattan at the dealer on LI : RC w/ black and red interior, HK, driver assist package, bright technicos with black calibers. Only thing missing was the cf steering wheel. The point is that the Manhattan dealer now has my ordered car for sale if you get impatient waiting for yours. I can't recommend the dealer but......

·
Registered
261 Posts
The dealer where I ordered my Qdrfgl wouldn't negotiate, or budge at all on price... wouldn't even throw in the measly $325 car cover. But I did get MSRP; after he told me he could have charged me $5000 more (the implication being, I should be happy I got MSRP, and stop whining).

I can vote with my dollars however. After I take delivery I don't ever have to spend another penny at that particular dealership, or recommend them to anyone else.

·
Registered
440 Posts
When we were calling around to dealerships trying to find a Quad we were told if you can purchase at MSRP to "take it" as the Quad is hard to find that is available for purchase. One dealership told us they are getting "at least 10k over MSRP". But that was in a major metro area so dealership location and the demand from so many buyers has some significance.

Sh*t I remember years and years ago when the Miata first arrived it was I believe around $10-15k. You would see people buying them and listing them in private sales for $35-40k. At least that was my experience when I was living in Los Angeles at the time. It blew my mind on THAT mark-up.

Seller's market at this point in time for the Quad.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
The dealer where I ordered my Qdrfgl wouldn't negotiate, or budge at all on price... wouldn't even throw in the measly $325 car cover. But I did get MSRP; after he told me he could have charged me $5000 more (the implication being, I should be happy I got MSRP, and stop whining).

I can vote with my dollars however. After I take delivery I don't ever have to spend another penny at that particular dealership, or recommend them to anyone else.
I'm not surprised given where your sig. says you live in Belmont CA....your 12 minutes from my brother and he is in the market for a new car right now and dealers in your/his area are notorious for marking up the "next hot car".....they were getting 5k over sticker for the new MY18 S4 he was looking at.
NO ONE should be paying more than MSRP for a Quad. Like it or not it is still not a mass produced car. There is no volume like an M, AMG or even a P-Car, but to pay more than sticker is just dumb...sorry if I insulted anyone who did..0:)

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
No offense at all here. In fact, I think the whole markup chatter was in anticipation of the the positive reaction and hype. Well, if it hasn't materialized you can take that off the table. I plan to ask around including FoNE because I know the sales and service staff there. If I have to, I will see if they can pull some strings. Even still, If it takes 6 months, I don't care because to me it's worth it. And maybe they can install some updates or new parts ;)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Simey, Second attempt at this post: tech challenged. I bought an RC Quad from Brown's in Patchogue after canceling my order in the city. Short version is that they had a terrible offer for my 4C trade so I starting looking elsewhere and found the exact options I ordered from Manhattan at the dealer on LI : RC w/ black and red interior, HK, driver assist package, bright technicos with black calibers. Only thing missing was the cf steering wheel. The point is that the Manhattan dealer now has my ordered car for sale if you get impatient waiting for yours. I can't recommend the dealer but......
Montana, thanks for that. Very tempting to move the transaction along with your unsold Manhattan Q. I do want the dark 5-holes though so will do my best to be patient. How are you enjoying your new Quad?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmm, maybe the dark 5 holes are being strengthened or are out of stock due to replacement of bent ones? ;) Haha, I want bright 5 holes and pray I can get them, with color Ti center caps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd heard another reason for the jacked prices is the length of wait for an ordered QV is not really the commonly 4 - 6 months quoted, but more like 10+ months... Pay to play supply and demand stuff... It is true that many dealers forget that in today's world, remote purchasing and vastly greater communications about dealer experiences, is possible. I went to a dealer in Scottdale AZ, and it was so iffy and full of attitude, and the people were so untrained in the Giulia, that I went further away in Tempe AZ (further for me, in Flagstaff, but it's all >2.5+ hours away).

I have found that dealing with the little fixes one needs for a new car require alot of coordination if you don't have a repair capability in your city, for Alfa. The dealer in Tempe has a good shop, and did a great job trying to find me better warranty options closer to me for littler things, but Alfa North America said patently "No", to them - I had to come down to get the work done. I'm sure that's a litigiously-based consideration for them - but not terribly good customer support thinking. The good news was, even though it was a hassle, the Tempe dealer combined some work and made my trip to Tempe efficient. They even paid for my hotel room after work on the retrieval trip, and all 4 legs of gas - AND the rental car. It was Enterprise, and I asked for a Ferrari like replacement (they rent those, not QV's LOL) - I was given a Chrysler 6000 :)

In this case my headlight squirter cover fixture broke and popped off... luckily I found it on the side of the road later that night of all miracles! This happened 3 days in, and the Tempe dealer researched, said it was a trend in breakage on QVs. Also, they noted an ABS brake alert Alfa put out, that is likely to become a "recall" in a few months, so they got THAT also out of the way....

The bad news is, AFTER I took re-possession of the QV on sunrise and got 3 hrs back north in rush hour in Phoenix... I discovered in sunlight that - even though they numerically matched the paint, the little bumper cover was painted what seems a slightly less-dark Monte Carlo metallic 092 Blue, than the other one, or the bumper & rest of the car. It's annoying, and for the price of the car, I want it right - so they are taking it back... ughhh... Maybe when they open up the bumper I can stay down there and sneak in a remote radar detector in the grill on their time with the bumper open LOL...

I guess the relevant moral to that last part is, it MAY be useful to go far and wind out of the local area for a better QV price, but DO consider the warranty and repair capability locally... or be content to deal with long range fun...

paul
Flagstaff AZ
MC Blue 17 QV

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I'd heard another reason for the jacked prices is the length of wait for an ordered QV is not really the commonly 4 - 6 months quoted, but more like 10+ months... Pay to play supply and demand stuff... It is true that many dealers forget that in today's world, remote purchasing and vastly greater communications about dealer experiences, is possible. I went to a dealer in Scottdale AZ, and it was so iffy and full of attitude, and the people were so untrained in the Giulia, that I went further away in Tempe AZ (further for me, in Flagstaff, but it's all >2.5+ hours away).

I have found that dealing with the little fixes one needs for a new car require alot of coordination if you don't have a repair capability in your city, for Alfa. The dealer in Tempe has a good shop, and did a great job trying to find me better warranty options closer to me for littler things, but Alfa North America said patently "No", to them - I had to come down to get the work done. I'm sure that's a litigiously-based consideration for them - but not terribly good customer support thinking. The good news was, even though it was a hassle, the Tempe dealer combined some work and made my trip to Tempe efficient. They even paid for my hotel room after work on the retrieval trip, and all 4 legs of gas - AND the rental car. It was Enterprise, and I asked for a Ferrari like replacement (they rent those, not QV's LOL) - I was given a Chrysler 6000 :)

In this case my headlight squirter cover fixture broke and popped off... luckily I found it on the side of the road later that night of all miracles! This happened 3 days in, and the Tempe dealer researched, said it was a trend in breakage on QVs. Also, they noted an ABS brake alert Alfa put out, that is likely to become a "recall" in a few months, so they got THAT also out of the way....

The bad news is, AFTER I took re-possession of the QV on sunrise and got 3 hrs back north in rush hour in Phoenix... I discovered in sunlight that - even though they numerically matched the paint, the little bumper cover was painted what seems a slightly less-dark Monte Carlo metallic 092 Blue, than the other one, or the bumper & rest of the car. It's annoying, and for the price of the car, I want it right - so they are taking it back... ughhh... Maybe when they open up the bumper I can stay down there and sneak in a remote radar detector in the grill on their time with the bumper open LOL...

I guess the relevant moral to that last part is, it MAY be useful to go far and wind out of the local area for a better QV price, but DO consider the warranty and repair capability locally... or be content to deal with long range fun...

paul
Flagstaff AZ
MC Blue 17 QV
your dealer wasn't kidding...my headlamp washer cover came off, as did board member @kanundrum. the color did not match mine RC much either...problem is actually inside the bumper...the clips snap off and need to be secured better....and they ordered it via the color code but it doesn't match 100%
these are the stupid, silly, nits that plague us...welcome to the world of Alfa:grin2:
but on the nicer note....the Quad is an absolute blast to drive....nuthin but grins!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.