Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the dealer for the price of a new key. Parts told me the fob is $160. Perfect. The second part is the laser cut key on the inside, which is $250! This seems a little crazy. Plus there is a programming charge.

Has anyone else bought an extra key?

CptSternn

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Haven’t bought a new key/fob but was looking to get a copy of the emergency key inside the key made so I can lock my glove box...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I called the dealer for the price of a new key. Parts told me the fob is $160. Perfect. The second part is the laser cut key on the inside, which is $250! This seems a little crazy. Plus there is a programming charge.

Has anyone else bought an extra key?

CptSternn
Will they sell the fob only?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I haven't even thought of this. I need to do this. I occasionally have a need to lock... Things...
Yeah the few times I valeted the car I was like DOH! Can’t lock it in there. Of course they have the fob and if you leave the key in there they can still get in there but really it’s about discouraging a lookielou more than anything...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
I dunno about the use of lasers in the cutting of the key, but the key is quite obviously cut with an ordinary end mill. Not the fastest process, but any CNC milling machine should be able to whip out a replica key in a few minutes.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/Milling/End-Mills?navid=12106227

End mills break a lot while cutting slots, especially if using a hand feed machine.

·
Registered
Giulia, 2.2 diesel
8 Posts
Does anyone sell new 5 button key? I can't order it from my dealer. And I can't program used key.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
If there is a nearby locksmith with the right tool it is possible to program the car to recognize a different fob.
Reference abrites.com. This package is too expensive to be a practical solution for 1 time use, but ask around for a locksmith that has it or similar.
I think MES claims to be able to do it, but you need the PIN for the car. Your dealer might be able to give you that information. The abrites package can extract the PIN.
At last check,, used fobs are readily available on ebay.

A Giulia fob is one time programmable, so you cannot reprogram a used fob to match your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
20$ fixed. I only have one fob for my Giulia but the metal key inside disappeared. So I went to my dealer and show the registration. They will take your VIN number and 20$ with tax and shipping added.

·
Registered
14 Posts
20$ fixed. I only have one fob for my Giulia but the metal key inside disappeared. So I went to my dealer and show the registration. They will take your VIN number and 20$ with tax and shipping added.
Which dealership? Are they just duplicating the mechanical key or reprogramming the fob/key as new and erasing the original?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which dealership? Are they just duplicating the mechanical key or reprogramming the fob/key as new and erasing the original?
In my case no reprogram needs. (1fob 0key)
I went to the dealership in north of Indianapolis. They create the metal key base on their data by giving out the VIN number. Find a way to prove you are the owner of this vehicle. You might not be there but waiting your key ship to your home

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my case no reprogram needs. (1fob 0key)
I went to the dealership in north of Indianapolis. They create the metal key base on their data by giving out the VIN number. Find a way to prove you are the owner of this vehicle. You might not be there but waiting your key ship to your home
Thanks for the info! How long did you have to wait for delivery?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same issue. I always like to have a 3rd key set for my cars because there's a lot of drivers in the household and they get misplaced/left in pockets, for short periods of time. So called "smartkeys" typically cost about $500 to have duplicated at a dealer but I have found local locksmiths that can order/program/cut a dup for more like about $200 for my Toyota, BMW and Infiniti. However they tell me that at this time they simply can't order or program the Alfa keys. Anyone had luck with this at any source other than a dealer?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have the same issue. I always like to have a 3rd key set for my cars because there's a lot of drivers in the household and they get misplaced/left in pockets, for short periods of time. So called "smartkeys" typically cost about $500 to have duplicated at a dealer but I have found local locksmiths that can order/program/cut a dup for more like about $200 for my Toyota, BMW and Infiniti. However they tell me that at this time they simply can't order or program the Alfa keys. Anyone had luck with this at any source other than a dealer?
There is solution to re-use key fob, but price is close to new key at dealer so not worth it. Just order new key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I needed a spare key, and found a local key replacement place that could order me a fob for about $150 but their programmer doesn't yet recognize the Alfa. The dealer price on the fob was $165, and they charged an hour of labor ($170) to program it. However, the dealer price on the key blade was something crazy, like $175, and they claimed they had to order it from Italy and it would take a month or something.

So I went back to the local place. They ordered the blade, which took a few days, and cut it using my original key. Total cost about $30.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Wow I had no idea Keys were that expensive, although I did have to go through that for a previous Lexus, and those weren't cheap either so sounds on par with other brands. Lucky for me when I picked up my car dealer handed me 4 keys with it, and all worked! It's nice to have spares...and spares, and spares lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts