Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for a 4 month cross country road trip with my 2018 Ti Sport. I've owned it since new and have ~24k miles on it and have had zero issues with the car. I was going to do a few things before the trip:
  • Window tint to cut back on the sun/heat
  • Tire rotation
  • Replace back brake pads and rotors ~3-5mm on my back brakes and the back rotors are pitted
  • I switched to non-run flats and have a slime repair kit (really hoping i don't need to use that)
  • Oil change isn't needed until late Fall but was considering doing a pre-emptive one..maybe not needed?
  • What am i missing? (beyond ripping it up on the back roads)
My lease is up in less than a year and I was considering swinging by one of the high volume dealers on the way back to the East coast to see if they would be open to taking over the end of my lease for a QV :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I would change oil maybe half way through trip. The rest should be fine since you are considering trading for a QV anyway. No need to spend extra money. Car is solid. Should be fine.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,568 Posts
Have the battery checked. Mine just died out-of-the-blue, and you wouldn’t want to be stranded by that.

Reactions: Theo and EZPZ

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
828 Posts
I was so close to posting the exact same thread, as I'm thinking of a road trip in the summer. I too have a 2018. Had a few issues; all electrical(taken care of under warranty).

I had the starter-relay issue(the car wouldn't start), taken care of as well. That's the only thing I can think of, which could be an issue on a road-trip. I'd suggest talking to your dealer about it, if it hasnt already been addressed on your vehicle. They might not do anything, as they would need error codes to diagnose and address it. But worth a check before you set out IMHO.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you like the local dealer can you have them do the oil change and an overall inspection? You might also consider making note of Alfa service locations on the trip just-in-case. Lastly, you should post photos. Bon voyage!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Replace the air filter if you haven't done it recently, and take some rags/micro fiber cloths with you for cleaning windows, headlights, back up camera. Put some wax and polish on the front of the car, and the back of the side mirrors to help make it easier to clean off all the bugs you'll accumulate.

Check tire pressures before you go, then enjoy your trip. The Giulia is a wonderful trip car.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
452 Posts
Pack a torque wrench and socket for wheel nuts.

Pack some invisible glass and micro fiber cloths

Tire gauge

Extra usb cables

·
Registered
26 Posts
Recently went on a cross-country trip between LA Canada

Before the trip:
oil change(previous change done by dealer 5000 miles ago, but the oil was already black after 5000 miles)
tire pressure check and fill
wash and wax(to avoid attracting extra dirt during the trip)
install dash cam and parking monitor

Packed for the trip:
electric tire pump
hydraulic jack
wrench and sockets
extra Engine Oil and funnel
detailer spray and microfiber cloths

how far is your trip?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recently went on a cross-country trip between LA Canada

Before the trip:
oil change(previous change done by dealer 5000 miles ago, but the oil was already black after 5000 miles)
tire pressure check and fill
wash and wax(to avoid attracting extra dirt during the trip)
install dash cam and parking monitor

Packed for the trip:
electric tire pump
hydraulic jack
wrench and sockets
extra Engine Oil and funnel
detailer spray and microfiber cloths

how far is your trip?
  • Interesting thought on the Dashcam/monitor any chance that messes with the battery?
  • Since I don't have a spare not sure i need the jack thinking about getting a road side service membership for the time being.
  • Wrench + Sockets for replacing the wheels?
  • Good idea on the oil

I'm driving ~8k+ miles it's a long one. I'll be stopping in mostly major cities for extended periods of time in case I need an oil change or any other maintenance.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Bartering ram or proper documentation for the Canadian border?

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,263 Posts
A radar detector to make the drive between cities more enjoyable 😈

I may be taking a road trip myself in a few months, so watching this thread

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
828 Posts
A dash cam sounds like a good idea.

Regarding the battery, maybe you can use a battery pack? But id imagine since you’re going to be driving most of the time the car’s battery should be fine.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
562 Posts
How many times have you used it? Do the cables reach both underhood terminals?
I haven't used it on the Giulia. To be honest, I have only driven the Alfa about 1,000 miles since I got it (bought it the week of the very first COVID lockdown) and we mostly drive my wife's lease. I do not think it would reach the recommended underhood terminals - would likely have to directly connect positive post on battery and a bare ground. Another option would be to carry jumper cables to use as an extension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts