Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't kept track/notice of US fuels and RON content since moving to the states. Been filling up with V-Power (Shell) thus far which seems to be doing a nice job and it's what I used to use back in the good ole days, but in general are there any gas stations to avoid for crappy RON numbers? Thinking Mobil, BJ's that kind of stuff? Casting my mind back to recall BP doing some high RON in England, not sure if they do it here?

·
Registered
658 Posts
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/09/octane-ratings
In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures (R+M)/2, called the AKI (anti-knock index). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States.

From Giuia specification sheet
ENGINE: ALL-ALUMINUM 280-HP DIRECT-INJECTION 2.0-LITER 16-VALVE TURBO
Fuel Requirement Regular unleaded, 91 octane (R+M)/2

ENGINE: ALL-ALUMINUM 505-HP DIRECT-INJECTION 2.9-LITER 24-VALVE BI-TURBO V-6
Fuel Requirement Premium unleaded, 91 octane (R+M)/2

One thing to perhaps lookout for is the Top Tier Detergent Gasolines which exceed the mandated standard for detergents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

Hope that helps
Alan

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
glad I asked! Thanks that's really interesting. So the regular unleaded octane here is the same as the premium.. that's pretty crazy! I only ever once put Unleaded in a turbo'd car out of desperation and it ran like total dog and when my Alfa dealer said "Premium only" I assumed it would be there same here.

Going to start paying more attention to the pumps!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Some people swear by Chevron's 93 premium gas in US as being the best, maybe due to superior detergent capability of Techron, but I don't know if it's hype, it may help older fuel injectors systems work better.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some people swear by Chevron's 93 premium gas in US as being the best, maybe due to superior detergent capability of Techron, but I don't know if it's hype, it may help older fuel injectors systems work better.
I'll give it a try! Not used it before

Im a Shell VPower Nitro+ Fan
aye! and Shell take stop and shop points too ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts