Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took my Ti in for its 10k service I was informed that I needed to replace at least two of the tires (3/32) and I am not a boy racer! Others having this experience? I am looking to replace with Bridgestone Driveguard Grand Touring All-Season run-flats. Other ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I took my Ti in for its 10k service I was informed that I needed to replace at least two of the tires (3/32) and I am not a boy racer! Others having this experience? I am looking to replace with Bridgestone Driveguard Grand Touring All-Season run-flats. Other ideas/suggestions?
What is the nature of the wear? Is it even across the tread or is it heavily worn on an outer or inner edge that might be indicative of an alignment issue?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
John,
Please reply to the previous questions.
What brand and model tire did your Giulia come with?
What tire pressures are you running?
What is the nature of the wear.
Can you post images?
As this is premature tire wear (for non-Boy Racer driving), what does the Dealership attribute it to?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
You don't want to simply replace prematurely worn tires without first figuring out why the tires are worn. Otherwise the new set may wear out just as fast. Any good tire dealer should be able to diagnose the fault, although the adjustable toe in on the rear wheels is unusual.

The point of the setup questions others are asking is that Giulia are delivered to the dealer with the tires grossly over inflated (55 to 60 PSI). This will cause the centers of the tires to wear out, most notably the rear tires. It can also be dangerous, as one forum member had a tire pop because of this. Your dealer is supposed to reduce the tire pressure to the correct value (32 to 37 PSI depending on the model) before delivering the car to you, but a lot of them do not.

Giulia has adjustable front and rear toe in. The corresponding tires will wear quickly on the edges if the toe in is incorrect.

Tire suggestions are somewhat personal and regional and require more information about what you expect from the tires. Good grandtouring tires are quiet, give superior fuel economy and superior wear as compared to performance tires. However, they have less traction than performance tires and usually are heavier than performance tires. Heavier tires don't stay in contact with the road as well as lighter tires, reducing traction. All season tires are needed if you plan to drive in temps below 40F (45F for some models of summer tires). Summer tires will have a different tread compound and a different tread pattern. The different tread pattern can make them quieter than all seasons.

Run flats do not ride as well as non-run flats, although I think the differences have been reduced in the most recent models. You can buy a flat fix kit and choose non-run flats if that is acceptable, or you can rely on a tow service with non-run flats; at least if you are driving in urban and suburban areas.

Snow tires are also available, should you need to drive your car on deep snow or ice. They are expensive and noisy though compared to performance or grandtouring tires.

Tirerack chat provides free tire advice. Tire rack also has a tire comparison tool so that you can choose the best tire amongst similar models. Give them a try

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You don't want to simply replace prematurely worn tires without first figuring out why the tires are worn. Otherwise the new set may wear out just as fast. Any good tire dealer should be able to diagnose the fault, although the adjustable toe in on the rear wheels is unusual.

The point of the setup questions others are asking is that Giulia are delivered to the dealer with the tires grossly over inflated (55 to 60 PSI). This will cause the centers of the tires to wear out, most notably the rear tires. It can also be dangerous, as one forum member had a tire pop because of this. Your dealer is supposed to reduce the tire pressure to the correct value (32 to 37 PSI depending on the model) before delivering the car to you, but a lot of them do not.

Giulia has adjustable front and rear toe in. The corresponding tires will wear quickly on the edges if the toe in is incorrect.

Tire suggestions are somewhat personal and regional and require more information about what you expect from the tires. Good grandtouring tires are quiet, give superior fuel economy and superior wear as compared to performance tires. However, they have less traction than performance tires and usually are heavier than performance tires. Heavier tires don't stay in contact with the road as well as lighter tires, reducing traction. All season tires are needed if you plan to drive in temps below 40F (45F for some models of summer tires). Summer tires will have a different tread compound and a different tread pattern. The different tread pattern can make them quieter than all seasons.

Run flats do not ride as well as non-run flats, although I think the differences have been reduced in the most recent models. You can buy a flat fix kit and choose non-run flats if that is acceptable, or you can rely on a tow service with non-run flats; at least if you are driving in urban and suburban areas.

Snow tires are also available, should you need to drive your car on deep snow or ice. They are expensive and noisy though compared to performance or grandtouring tires.

Tirerack chat provides free tire advice. Tire rack also has a tire comparison tool so that you can choose the best tire amongst similar models. Give them a try
My plan for our Q4, when it arrives in October-November, is to run the OE tires and wheels through the PA winter and then purchase a second set of wheels with summer performance tires.
Currently, all of our daily-driver passenger cars have two sets of wheels. One with dedicated snow tires and the other with summer, or all season treads.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
When I purchased my Quad, I knew full well the P Zero Corsas would not be the tire of choice for me...I purchased a second set of rims (from a Giulia Forums member - great transaction, a gentleman to deal with) and just ordered Michelin Pilot sports to be my full time tires....the P Zeros on the Quad are a notoriously soft compound, but on the Q 4's, for you to have experienced such wear at 10 K miles and not to have been abusive in driving pattern, I would suspect the tires were over inflated....JMHO....D

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Having read this thread it got me wondering about the alignment of the car as delivered. Having been a track rat (mostly in a GTV6) for the last 30 years, I happen to have the tools to measure and my car had only about 600 miles on it at the time, so I thought I'd do a reference check.

Granted this is only a single data point, but it was interesting to find that the toe-in readings were spot on, perfectly center of the range all the way around. In contrast, the camber readings were all on the outer edge (maximum negative) but still within the acceptable range. They weren't quite as perfectly uniform as the toe readings but they were all well more negative than center of the range. I am happy to leave them there. I just thought it was amusing as it makes me wonder, did they want to make sure it really turned in well on test drives? I didn't check caster as that's quite a bit more work with my tools than the other two, but thought some might find this data point interesting.

Also another interesting observation that came out of this, that I was previously unaware of is that the rear track being several inches wider that the front. I didn't measure, or even notice it initially until I got to the back and had to put my toe gauge into a notably different range. As they say....your mileage (or is that tire wear) may vary.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Having read this thread it got me wondering about the alignment of the car as delivered. Having been a track rat (mostly in a GTV6) for the last 30 years, I happen to have the tools to measure and my car had only about 600 miles on it at the time, so I thought I'd do a reference check.
Also another interesting observation that came out of this, that I was previously unaware of is that the rear track being several inches wider that the front. I didn't measure, or even notice it initially until I got to the back and had to put my toe gauge into a notably different range. As they say....your mileage (or is that tire wear) may vary.
Rear track is several inches wider that the front... Interesting.
The older Giulia, 105 and 115 series cars were narrower in the rear.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
That is a good point, however 10 K miles is still only 2/3 of that....shouldn't be to that point....

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I believe the OP is a possible Troll.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Your OEM tires had a UTQG of 220 which suggests an average tire life of only 15,840 miles.
That is a good point, however 10 K miles is still only 2/3 of that....shouldn't be to that point....
Thread starter stated that his car is a Ti.
Aren't those tires all season with much higher UTQGs?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Depends. The 19" staggered package uses Summer Performance tires, with the Bridgestones rated 280 and the Pirellis rated 220.

The 17" and 18" packages the tires are Grand Touring All Seasons, either 400 (17") or unrated (18") Bridgestones or Pirelli P7's rated at 500 (both sizes). I would expect the Bridgestones to end up rated around 400. There are some Giulias that might get Continentals in the 17", also rated at 400.

Reactions: DaneARFOM

·
Registered
418 Posts
220 is the treadwear for the Ti 19" sport package w/ option for 19x9.0 rears allowing 255/35 p zero rft summer tires. I'm noticing Ti's now coming in with Bridgestone potenza summer tires which have a 280 treadwear. The 225/50r17 bridgestone all seasons have a 400 rating, pirelli 225/45r18s are 500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I have the 18" Bridgestones (made in Poland). The wear is uniform, so I do not think adjustment is the issue.Pressure is 33 front, 36 rear. Scratching my head, but going to order a set of Bridgestone Driveguards (run-flats), which should wear much better. Of course I will have toe-in, etc. checked when they are installed.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I have the 18" Bridgestones (made in Poland). The wear is uniform, so I do not think adjustment is the issue.Pressure is 33 front, 36 rear. Scratching my head, but going to order a set of Bridgestone Driveguards (run-flats), which should wear much better. Of course I will have toe-in, etc. checked when they are installed.
Since the Bridgestones are still listed as unrated, but the Pirellis in the same figment have a 500 treadwear rating, I'd ask Alfa for a goodwill adjustment.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
45 Posts
After 13 months/20600Km I changed my tires (asymmetric 3) because the front ones were obviously in trouble.
My conclusion is that the 91Y load index is the problem, but because the 95Y equivalent was not available for some time, I bought the same.
Also I decided to use higher pressure (38 instead of 35) on the front

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went w the Michelins.
Wider footprint, more square side wall, fills the fender wells better. A nice looking tire. Hope it performs as good as it looks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts