Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for some feedback on the Giulia in terms of major issue reliability. I do not expect it to be as carefree as a Japanese car but would anyone say it could be on par with an Audi A4 or 3 Series? Also interested in comparison to Jaguar XE.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
was looking at the same cars. I don't think it's possible to tell but after test drives for me there was no issue deciding and I looked at S3/4 too. Not a lot of help though my 2c is drive them all and it'll become clear :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was looking at the same cars. I don't think it's possible to tell but after test drives for me there was no issue deciding and I looked at S3/4 too. Not a lot of help though my 2c is drive them all and it'll become clear :)
My experience was the same driving but I really don't have the time for problems. My expected mileage is about 10k a year, so my thinking it should be just fine. The Jaguar XE leases are very heavily subvented so they are attractive.

The Audi's and BMW's are so incredibly boring.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
yeah agree! I set out for the Jag to start with. I don't think 10k is a lot, I'd put my bet on the Alfa. Don't think Jag are renowned for relability either in fairness as much as I like them too

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think it's going to be about the same as any other European car. It's built very well, and everything seems thought out. My son's car has about 2000 miles on it, including relatively severe duty at the Dragon and it's been flawless.

Greg

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was looking for some feedback on the Giulia in terms of major issue reliability. I do not expect it to be as carefree as a Japanese car but would anyone say it could be on par with an Audi A4 or 3 Series? Also interested in comparison to Jaguar XE.

Thanks
fun fact: there is no actual word for reliability in italian

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Going on 5k Miles with 0 Issues. I don't think the boards are a good place to judge reliability as the majority of the owners are not on here. The ones that are on here are specifically for reasons of the following:

Issues with car, Die Hard Enthusiasts, and forum warriors.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
reliability or affidabilita.....will take time to see plain & simple...the new cars, new platform etc. have shown teething pains for first run cars...
so if you are in the market right right now, you will roll the dice to a certain extent like the rest of us....I suspect that by next year models (2018) many of the little gremlins will have gone and perhaps Alfa will address the infotainment nits that have been picked by many....
the 3 series has had YEARS of practical use/development....only when they switch to a new platform has there been some minor issues with the cars...
ie: wife had a 2013 328 X-drive....sounded like a **** diesel on start-up, was not smooth at all, the steering was so vague it was laughable....she was given a 2014 loaner one day equipped the same and it was like a different car...motor mounts were changed, steering input was addressed...nits to pick gone...
I believe/hope that Alfa responds the same way...
Good Luck in your search!
Hope you select an Alfa
Salve
M

·
Registered
288 Posts
The forums are also the place where you go to when you want to get scared because majority of the times it's where people come to vent their complaints lol. But in terms of reliability, I think it's just too soon to really tell. That being said, you'll have to expect issues with any vehicle, it happens.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As stated before, time will tell.

I'm a mechanical engineer and after looking at the design details and build quality, I'm optimistic about the long term reliability. Alfa put a lot of thought into this vehicle. The only design flaw I have found so far is the low speed brake feel which seems to be shared by other "brake-by-wire" vehicles.

My Ti has had no reliability problems after 2 months and 1200 miles.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The Giulia went on sale on February 2016 making 2017 the second year of production. Remember it's a global car sold across the world.

I believe that the delays seen for the US market ere due to the decision to let some of the kinks fixed before bringing the Giulia to AR's most important region.

My prediction is that it won't be bad at all in terms of quality. FCA invested $6B on the platform and failure is not an option. Reading Italian boards doesn't seem to indicate massive quality issues. The ratings so far are great. I'm much more concerned with the human factor of the service departments.

Of course there will be constant upgrades and fixes as time goes by and hopefully some will be possible via software upgrades. There is a lot of firmware and software in today's cars.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The question is IF Alfa will do incremental updates.

The old way of doing things was to wait until next model year to fix issues, but that will really hurt Alfa as reputational quality moves at the speed of light now. Alfa needs to be nimble. Tesla, Porsche and even Volvo make assembly line changes to fix issues incrementally. I hope Alfa does the same...if necessary.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The question is IF Alfa will do incremental updates.

The old way of doing things was to wait until next model year to fix issues, but that will really hurt Alfa as reputational quality moves at the speed of light now. Alfa needs to be nimble. Tesla, Porsche and even Volvo make assembly line changes to fix issues incrementally. I hope Alfa does the same...if necessary.
I'm sure that is the intent. We cannot make any repairs other than listed updates with out consulting with corporate. That type of monitoring displays a high level of concern/attention

·
Registered
39 Posts

Thanks
Just get a Lexus IS350 ? Or Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400

Jk.

I agree with others that time will tell.The only reports to look at are ones in Europe at this time. In the JD Power surveys some FCA brands do better then others. Seems like that would be a bad judge of how Alfa will be.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There are obviously questions on how the Giulia works out over the long haul..for now it's too soon to really tell. Logically it's a car that makes more sense to lease as you can turn it back in before the warranty is finished. But all that said - this car is a helluva lot of fun to drive - so much fun I took the purchase plunge without too much concern.. I would suspect that over the long haul it will be similar to one of the Germans in terms of cost of ownership..

Of all the cars I have owned, the lowest cost of ownership is my Toyota Tacoma work truck.. Going into year 13 and so far not much more than just oil changes, and occasional brakes and tires... but I didn't even think of going with Toyo or Lex for my "fun" sedan... I wanted something with style, and so far the Alfa is not disappointing - this thing is a blast!.. It may cost me more on a per mile basis to drive, but isn't it ok to spend a little on driving enjoyment? Oh, by the way... my biggest cash sink for a car? My wife's Merc Gl450.. **** that air suspension is expensive to keep up, and what a finicky transmission it has.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.