Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to bring my car in to get some PPF on it. My question is how much or what areas are most of you getting covered. I’m absolutely going to get the front bumper covered , my question is what other areas, front part of the hood or all of it ?, mirrors, ect ? Any advice would be great , thanks as always !!!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,235 Posts
That would depend on where and how you drive. I had the entire car wrapped with Xpel and it has saved the paint numerous times on the front, back and sides.

So many people somehow scrape the snot out of the exterior door handle cups that some mfgs now install PPF in the cups as standard equipment.

OTOH, I have driven Giulia in a 70MPH cross wind that pelted the car with rocks (ripped the Xpel on the rear fascia). The windshield is covered in tiny chips.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I too have the entire car wrapped- at a minimum I would do the front fascia, hood, front fenders(half), mirrors and the rockers. At almost 8k on my car(PPF installed at 50 miles) the rockers are showing some wear right in front of the rear wheels. Mine is a QV, so the rockers are different than a non QV. Obviously the front fascia takes some hits, bugs and rocks, but its holding up really well. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do NOT do a half hood. The line across the middle of the hood will start accumulating wax and/or dirt build up which will make the line more and more noticeable over time.

Full hood, front bumper and mirror caps at bare minimum.

Also, you don’t mention ceramic, but if you do, don’t waste your money having it applied anywhere you plan on having PPF. The PPF won’t adhere as well and it is pointless. You should, however, have the paint corrected beforehand if needed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Our family has had five new cars PPF'd. On all, full hood, front and front fenders, A pillars, a foot wide across the front top of the roof, and behind the rear wheels. Also mirrors. But a caution. We have used Extreme Detail in Charlotte, he and his team are masters at PPF. His shop always has expendsive Supercars in for his treatment. But my son a few months ago in Columbia SC went ahead with an approved XPEL installer in his city, and it was nowhere near as nice and perfect as Extreme's work. So XPEL has agreed to pay for a removal and new PPF film on his new Defender. So look over the work on other cars your installer had done very closely. Extreme's work is absolutely perfect.

My QV was about $2.8 K two years ago. NV

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
312 Posts
Do NOT do a half hood. The line across the middle of the hood will start accumulating wax and/or dirt build up which will make the line more and more noticeable over time.

Full hood, front bumper and mirror caps at bare minimum.

Also, you don’t mention ceramic, but if you do, don’t waste your money having it applied anywhere you plan on having PPF. The PPF won’t adhere as well and it is pointless. You should, however, have the paint corrected beforehand if needed.
Very true, but what I did have done is have the paint corrected, then the PPF, THEN Graphene coating over everything including the PPF. unless you get down close with a magnifying glass you can't tell the difference between paint and PPF. The Graphene/Ceramic adds another layer of shine protection.

Reactions: Saxman

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get what we call the "track pack" which will cover the hood, front bumper, front fenders, mirror caps, headlights, rockers, lower doors and rear bumper just after the wheels. If you want, add the A pillars for extra care if the shop you go to does not offer it in the package.

You should expect to spend north of $2k for that coverage and a good shop should have it done in 24-48hrs tops. Prep is key to installing PPF like pretty much anything else. If you were in the STL area I'd tell you to stop on by. My biggest suggestion would be to get to know the shop if you can before spending the money.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
51 Posts
Another vote for track pack. I did pretty much that minus the lower doors. Did do the rockers and had them tuck the PPF inside the door jams. If they do just up to the exterior edge on the rockers, then it gets lifted up from from shoes when exiting the vehicle.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
On ceramic coating; it goes over the Xpel/PPF, not under. Xpel will absorb bug guts and UV (and tar?), making it discolor. Xpel dulls the shine of the OEM paint as well. A coating over the Xpel restores the shine and provides some protection against discoloration.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Or do it yourself for about $800 that's what I did for me and I did the track pack.
No offense, I'm sure you took pride in laying it but if you don't do this as a profession, I wouldn't recommend it. Now if we are talking vinyl then by all means go for it. The cost of material for a first timer isn't worth the potential (eventual) mess up. PPF isn't as forgiving as vinyl without knowing some tricks in advance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
No offense, I'm sure you took pride in laying it but if you don't do this as a profession, I wouldn't recommend it. Now if we are talking vinyl then by all means go for it. The cost of material for a first timer isn't worth the potential (eventual) mess up. PPF isn't as forgiving as vinyl without knowing some tricks in advance.
I used PPF it turned out pretty good. Watched a lot of videos on YouTube but your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I did nose, hood, mirror caps, rockers, doors, A and B pillars*. I also have splash guards F/R.

*B-pillar because it’s the scratch-prone gloss back trim likely to be destroyed over time

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm taking my car in right after delivery on Monday for a full car wrap. For me, living in California means some of the shittiest roads with tons of construction going on all the time. Rocks are going to fly up and absolutely destroy any paint that isn't protected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi

I just did my car with PPF on the full front bumper, mirrors caps and door handle cups. To protect the hood/bonnet I went for full sticker coverage.

Cheers

Catweazle NZ

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I went with front bumper, full hood, fenders, mirrors and rear trunk area. The shop was recommended by several friends and the dealership. im excited to get this done, never had PPF on a car before and always hated how the front end looked after 1 year of ownership . This should be great , thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wish I would have done my A pillars too. Just got a chip. :(

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
FWIW: My one of my Xpel covered piano black panels on doors (not the same as B pillars) has a small divot in it. I keep forgetting to ask Imperial Works to repair it. Without the Xpel there would undoubtedly be a chip in the paint.

Rock impacts may be concentrated on certain areas of the car, but just about anywhere can "take a hit".

0 hits on the roof of the car so far, but some bird apparently dropped a deer bone on the roof of my house in order to break it open and get at the marrow...
Also, I have gotten a roof hit in my pickup truck from a large "too slow to take off" bird.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts