Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Referring to the power seat moving back when you shut off the car, and then coming back to normal when you get in and start it...

Am I the only one annoyed at this?

I looked through all of the car settings, and it doesn't appear to be able to be disabled. I'd much rather the seat just stay where it is.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Mine doesn't work consistently for some reason (I haven't investigated the myriad, quirky ways in which this feature may be implemented), so it isn't too bad for me.

I really have no idea why it slides back sometimes, but not others.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Referring to the power seat moving back when you shut off the car, and then coming back to normal when you get in and start it...

I looked through all of the car settings, and it doesn't appear to be able to be disabled. I'd much rather the seat just stay where it is.
I had the same issue, seat was driving me nuts. A fix that several of us tried worked - but it didn't work for everyone. It's worth a shot - What you do is program the seat button for where you like your seat (first of the three on the side of the driver's seat). That's it. Mine stopped moving on its own, as did others.
Hope it works for you.

Reactions: chaadster

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I had the same issue, seat was driving me nuts. A fix that several of us tried worked - but it didn't work for everyone. It's worth a shot - What you do is program the seat button for where you like your seat (first of the three on the side of the driver's seat). That's it. Mine stopped moving on its own, as did others.
Hope it works for you.
Oh? Well I do have a seat memory programmed, and come to think of it, I did adjust it away from the setting once, to better accomodate someone in the back, then used the memory again after installing new floor mats...maybe that's what it was!

I wonder why they would program it that way, though?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hope it works for you.
I went ahead and programmed the seat the way I wanted it and the "auto" feature stopped just like DragonKart described. I did that when I first got the car and now it only does it the first time after a dealer re-set. Its pretty annoying, I'm glad mine doesn't do it anymore ....

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts

If you sit at a distance from the wheel that gives optimum control of the car, the seat moving back makes it significantly easier to get out.

That said, it would be a lot better if this behavior could be selected rather than always on. At least on forum member has had a rear seat passenger's feet get trapped by the seat moving back. If you put your frail grandmother back there, there is a real chance of personal injury.

If the feature didn't exist at all one of the seat memory positions could be used to have a user controllable version of this feature--a lot better way to get it done.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Couldn’t you just disable the motor that works fore and aft?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Couldn’t you just disable the motor that works fore and aft?
Then how would you ever move the seat?

This has been discussed before, depends on where the seat is when you open the door, if back enough-no movement, if foward pass a certain point it will move back even if memory is programed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I can’t remember who posted the following tip, but it works great: as soon as I open the door and the second the seat starts to slide back, I just give one little tap forward on the button that slides the seat up. It instantly disables the seat from moving back. I have to do it every time, but that fine it’s me, as long as it stops moving. At some point, and I’m not sure when/haven’t cared to figure it out, the seat slides back, but that’s always long after I’ve exited the car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On another thread about this feature, I had mentioned that my seat did not move back while exiting the car. It was pretty confusing to me because when my wife drives the car the seat does move back when she exits. Eventually I discovered in the manual that the seat only moves back if the seat is set somewhere in front of the B pillar. Since my seat reaches the B pillar, it doesn't move back on exit.

BTW, I now love this feature because when I enter the car after my wife has driven it I can easily get in the car and then push my memory button which moves it back just a little bit further.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Then how would you ever move the seat?

This has been discussed before, depends on where the seat is when you open the door, if back enough-no movement, if foward pass a certain point it will move back even if memory is programed.
You could just put a switch inline with the motor to turn it off and on when needed. Obviously not as nice as a software preference somewhere to just click it off. Personally I like the feature and as it keeps the steering wheel further away and then slides you in but I can see how if you don’t like it it’d be annoying. Even the start stop thing bothered me for a day or two and I just clicked it off after the car came to the first stop but I now instinctively just hit the button right after hitting the engine start button when getting in...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
You could just put a switch inline with the motor to turn it off and on when needed. Obviously not as nice as a software preference somewhere to just click it off. Personally I like the feature and as it keeps the steering wheel further away and then slides you in but I can see how if you don’t like it it’d be annoying. Even the start stop thing bothered me for a day or two and I just clicked it off after the car came to the first stop but I now instinctively just hit the button right after hitting the engine start button when getting in...
I think the obvious, so far unanswered question is how does the seat controller know that the door is open? Perhaps something as simple as clipping a wire would "fix" this? Of course if a CAN bus command is used this change could be harder to implement (this seems likely since seat forward is triggered by starting the engine, not by closing the door). If there is a CAN bus connection to the seat, the first question is if it does anything useful other than the seat back operation?

It seems to me that it should be possible to "hack" the CAN bus by cutting the bus and installing transceivers to each end. Then put in software to copy content from one cable to the other, except for certain commands which would be intercepted and discarded or modified. Of course this would be very unwise on any critical safety systems. One could argue that if your seat started moving on its own while you were driving you have a safety issue...

Apparently building such a device is illegal under the digital rights ownership act and at least some manufacturers zealously enforce said right. This is part of why you rarely hear anything about vehicle hacking on the news: only criminals can try it and they are not inclined to announce their progress.

Has anyone tried this variant: Stop, put car in park, open door, then shut off engine? My car is in the shop right now so I can't see if that works.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I personally like the fact that the seat retracts upon exiting it. It reminds me of the slider seat on my race car where you have to slide the seat back in order to clear the roll bar on the door to exit. Not quite sure what the big fuss is, besides “crushing grandma in the rear seat”....

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't have this issue, seat is already adjusted nearly all the way back because of my long a$$ legs. It's a good thing I have long arms as well or it would be a real challenge.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I don't have this issue, seat is already adjusted nearly all the way back because of my long a$$ legs. It's a good thing I have long arms as well or it would be a real challenge.
Same here. I am 6'8" and it is actually handy for me to get out the car

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For me (and quite possibly only me), the seat moves back far enough that the b-pillar is in the way of my shoulder. I'd have a much easier time getting out if the seat were forward, as I have no problem clearing the steering wheel.

I do have everything set up in the "classic" Italian driving position: seat close to pedals, steering wheel as far away as possible. So the tilt of the seat is far enough back that when the seat moves back, the b-pillar is right there in my way.

One potential solution is to never leave the car...not really a bad idea at all, but slightly problematic.

:grin2:

I personally like the fact that the seat retracts upon exiting it. It reminds me of the slider seat on my race car where you have to slide the seat back in order to clear the roll bar on the door to exit. Not quite sure what the big fuss is, besides “crushing grandma in the rear seat”....

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
This is what my '19 manual says:

Easy Entry Function
The Easy Entry function is designed to retract the driver side seat automatically by 2.36 in (60 mm) to make it easier for the driver to get in and out of the car. The movement is activated only if the seat is set to a driving position which is in front of the B pillar of the vehicle. The function is associated with power front seats for each of the three store positions. The Easy Entry function can be activated/deactivated through the Information and Entertainment System.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts