Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Guilia Quad. My question goes to its power driver seat with three pre-sets. Alfa does things differently (no surprise there) than other luxury manufacturers insofar as once a pre-set position is programmed, all one does is turn on the ignition and hit the appropriate pre-set button briefly and everything moves to that particular pre-set position. (Cadillac, for example, requires you to hold the appropriate button down until you get to your position... and this is probably a better approach in light of the fact that if you hit the wrong button -- like say a smaller person's settings, it's easy to end the routine by simply lifting off the button and then pressing the right one.) But my question is slightly different -- namely isn't Alfa seat supposed to go move to a more "open" position when one ends one's drive? If that's confusing, let me explain a bit more: I've become a fan of how U.S. stock car drivers position themselves when driving their cars. By this I mean that they sit a lot closer to the steering wheel than the typical street driver. I tried this about 20 years ago and found not only is it a more comfortable position but I can see better. Problem is that this position is cramped when one wants to exit or enter the vehicle, thus making things a lot better if the seat goes back on its own after I'm done driving -- so I can exit easily and re-enter (later on) easily. Alfa tells me that this is supposed to happen automatically in my car and -- sometimes it does when my wife drives it -- but not me. Alfa also tells me I can take it in (under warranty) and have it fixed, assuming it's actually malfunctioning. (The owner's manual doesn't address the power seat's features in any great detail.) My problem is that the nearest Alfa dealer is 95 miles away and that makes it an all-day affair even if everything goes right at the dealership. Any thoughts on what I may not be doing right in terms of unintentionally thwarting this convenience feature? It doesn't seem to be malfunctioning, I think I may be doing something wrong or that there is some magic I've missed regarding the pre-set routine. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I think if the seat is already back a certain distance, it won’t go further back when you stop the car. I’m guessing your wife has shorter legs???

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes that sounds right. If you are far enough back it won't retract on shut down.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think if the seat is already back a certain distance, it won’t go further back when you stop the car. I’m guessing your wife has shorter legs???
I can confirm this in my 17 QV...I'm 6'3" so I have my seat all the way back. It doesn't move. My wife is 5'3" and after she drives the car and I get in the seat starts moving forward to her prior position.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
the "easy access" function is only active if your standard driving position is in front of the B-pillar.....

from manual:
The movement is activated only if the
seat is set to a driving position which is in
front of the B pillar of the car

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is there anyway I can turn this off? I would also like to be able to turn off the folding mirrors in the winter. I fear that if they ice up they may force the electric motor until it breaks.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Is there anyway I can turn this off? I would also like to be able to turn off the folding mirrors in the winter. I fear that if they ice up they may force the electric motor until it breaks.
re the seats, only on the latest models in the infotainment. There's a setting there,I think it's called easy access on/off

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
Like the OP, I am also a fan of sitting close to the steering wheel. 10-12 inches from the center of the steering wheel to center of chest (the minimum distance in a car with an air bag in the middle of the steering wheel) yields both comfort and control.

The rearward movement of the seat should work from such a position unless you are extraordinarily tall. I am 5' 10" and it works for me. I can manually run the seat back 2-3 inches (I have not tried more) and the seat still runs back when I open the door. Also like the OP if the seat does not run back when I open the door (e.g. engine still running) I have a lot of trouble getting out of the car. I have one seat position preset just for running the seat back so I can quickly hop out and get my mail without waiting for the engine to cool down and then shutting off.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you lock the car from the button on the inside of the door it doesn't fold the mirrors. Just lock it before you close the door.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you lock the car from the button on the inside of the door it doesn't fold the mirrors. Just lock it before you close the door.

Awesome works! I am guess the alarm is still on.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The lights on the front door lock buttons do light up, but I'm not sure if that means the alarm is active or the doors are just locked. I would assume they are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts