Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting on the side of the Indiana tollroad waiting for the AR roadside flatbed to come get me. Pothole got both righthand tires. Talk about the big bang theory!

Took out both runflats. Reading 10psi each. Took a big chunk out of the front wheel and probably enough damage to the rear as well.

Roadside service only tows for free, to closest dealer. Not mine.

Towtruck service called Evanston Autobarn, who was exasperated at their pronouncement but readily said they would cover the ‘extra’ charges (bout $80). Way to go Dion!! That is the way to treat owner!

I have 7177 miles on my run flats. Do I need 4 tires? What else should I check? Alignment? Car tracked stright as an arrow. Surprised me to see 2 tires blown it was so true.

Waiting probably for 90 minutes.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Ugh! That stinks!

Probably with only 7k miles on the tire you could just replace the two. If you wanted to be extra careful, maybe put the 2 old ones on the rear, two new on front, and see if it feels okay. You can always get two more tires if the old ones are unevenly worn and feel weird.

Definitely get alignment checked.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chadster. I see 18 wheelers and other cars on the sode of the road now. I don’t think I will get anywhere with Indiana DOT for reimbursement, according to the internet on the subject.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
You are probably looking at two bent wheels as well.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,794 Posts
you might be able to get some sort of warranty pro-rata on the tyres
i have recently been after my first replacement set and along the way i was told Bridgestone runflats have replacement warranty on the first X kilometres, cant remember the exact figures and then a pro-rata refund on the rest

might be worth chasing that up at the tyre place

edit: here is the Aussie version, you may have a similar thing in USA
https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/safe-drive

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Papa. I will inquire. I was told the wheels are pretty fast to arrive if they don’t already have a set. Worried about collateral damage like the oil.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,794 Posts
no way is the oil worth worrying about at that reading

i had that and just topped it up, then it went down by two notches, so it used 3 notches in the first 10,000 klms - changed the oil, topped it up, hasnt moved at all in over 7,000 klms

just a bit of early running in use, get the dealer to top it up under warranty

sorry to see that damage -

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Ouch! Sorry for your pain. And here I was thinking how much better Indiana's roads are than Michigan's. Glad you were able to pull over safely.

You're racking up the miles. It took me just over a year to reach 10,000.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ouch that’s quite a chunk taken out of that wheel. Potholes suck but I was able to repair my wheel at least. Good luck!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chipshot, yes on the miles. My daily driver. That is why I bought it instead of leasing. On the top end, a day can be 400 miles.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very good point neiltyme. I will have it all checked. Service said they have an AR loaner, last one of the day.

Thing is, I just had it in to service for the T57(?) and general stuff. Now I think I will just have the first oil change too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts