Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we're probably getting close to a mid-cycle refresh (does that happen at AR?) I thought it might be good to list a few areas for improvement in case anyone is listening. I don't think there are too many... Don't get me wrong, I love this car. Yet I imagine there could be a list of specific quality issues and design issues to consider. My thoughts after living with the car a while and coming in from a quick polish:

Quality:
1. The front fender stamping on the QV has creases extending below the triangle which break up the light reflection. They over/under estimated metal fatigue when stamping. The stamped shields on a Ferrari never show this.
2. There are 4 small dimples on the outside of the fuel filler cover also from metal deformation, perhaps when spot welding to the hings. I never see this on other cars.
3. A few vertical ripples in the rocker panel and the carbon insert on the QV are visible which break up the otherwise fascinating light reflections off the rockers.
4. The windshield is set 1/32 to 1/16 inch too low (not flush) with surrounding area including leading edge of roof.

Design:
1. Hard plastics at lower doors and B-pillar could be improved; seat belt sound clanking on B-pillar is horrendous.
2. Door pocket could be enlarged to allow a drink to be inserted - but this would require raising the arm-rest (maybe not doable).
3. Gap between tail edge of hood and windshield (canyon in which wipers sit) is huge and deep and bigger than on most cars I've seen.
4. The rear hip (kick-out) beginning at middle of rear door is too subtle and looks like someone leaned on the exterior door sill and dented it. This is a case for when subtlty backfires.

Any others?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Applicable to all except current QV- some sort of wound spring on the child seat latch covers at the base of the rear backrest that keeps it shut when not in use. fold your back seat down while those are open, potential puncture in the seat back material.

Don't ask me how I know this.

rjp

·
Registered
422 Posts
More-

- Teach the BCM to shut the parking monitor nanny up with the e-brake on or car in park
-True last radio setting upon startup- not just merely 'on' or 'off'- if Ipod or other source was in use, resume (pet peeve of mine)
-speed up Radio responsiveness- going from Reverse to Drive takes several seconds to turn backup off, system is locked until that happens.
-eliminate the E-shifter. Stupid, stupid bad, annoying, idea. Just ask the new Pavel from Star Trek (killed him).
-Right mirror face down function on Reverse like a BMW.
-Seat tilt, please.

Wow, maybe I hate this thing after all ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
All good points, improve customer and dealer interactions so they would know about these things.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,408 Posts
Smaller panic button on the key fob then have a replacement program for all current owners0:)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
- Teach the BCM to shut the parking monitor nanny up with the e-brake on or car in park
-True last radio setting upon startup- not just merely 'on' or 'off'- if Ipod or other source was in use, resume (pet peeve of mine)
-speed up Radio responsiveness- going from Reverse to Drive takes several seconds to turn backup off, system is locked until that happens.
-eliminate the E-shifter. Stupid, stupid bad, annoying, idea. Just ask the new Pavel from Star Trek (killed him).
-Right mirror face down function on Reverse like a BMW.
-Seat tilt, please.

Wow, maybe I hate this thing after all ;)
If IPod or other source was in use resume - Mine does resume and at the exact song point on my IPod that I shut the car off with. I agree with the delay

Right mirror down like BMW - Sorry never had a BMW and never had an automatic down tilting mirror so I guess if your mirror is down how are you seeing up? I guess if I was concerned I would do a manual down turn. Is this so you don’t curb?

I would be looking for a HUD similar to but again never had it so don’t miss it but it sounds interesting. If it is going to add 900 then I would skip it

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Since we're probably getting close to a mid-cycle refresh (does that happen at AR?) I thought it might be good to list a few areas for improvement in case anyone is listening. I don't think there are too many... Don't get me wrong, I love this car. Yet I imagine there could be a list of specific quality issues and design issues to consider. My thoughts after living with the car a while and coming in from a quick polish:

Quality:
1. The front fender stamping on the QV has creases extending below the triangle which break up the light reflection. They over/under estimated metal fatigue when stamping. The stamped shields on a Ferrari never show this.
2. There are 4 small dimples on the outside of the fuel filler cover also from metal deformation, perhaps when spot welding to the hings. I never see this on other cars.
3. A few vertical ripples in the rocker panel and the carbon insert on the QV are visible which break up the otherwise fascinating light reflections off the rockers.
4. The windshield is set 1/32 to 1/16 inch too low (not flush) with surrounding area including leading edge of roof.

Design:
1. Hard plastics at lower doors and B-pillar could be improved; seat belt sound clanking on B-pillar is horrendous.
2. Door pocket could be enlarged to allow a drink to be inserted - but this would require raising the arm-rest (maybe not doable).
3. Gap between tail edge of hood and windshield (canyon in which wipers sit) is huge and deep and bigger than on most cars I've seen.
4. The rear hip (kick-out) beginning at middle of rear door is too subtle and looks like someone leaned on the exterior door sill and dented it. This is a case for when subtlty backfires.

Any others?
Can you show a picture of number 1 in Quality Section for ‘fatigue” I looked and not seeing it

·
Registered
422 Posts
If IPod or other source was in use resume - Mine does resume and at the exact song point on my IPod that I shut the car off with. I agree with the delay

Right mirror down like BMW - Sorry never had a BMW and never had an automatic down tilting mirror so I guess if your mirror is down how are you seeing up. I guess if I was concerned I would do a manual down turn. Is this so you don’t curb. I guess I am wonder what the point of the down tilt. I guess the purpose of the side mirror pointing down is to protect your vehicle from a scrape?
I wouldn't know because my ipod dont work with this thing- at all.

Fortunately, my Android phone does, so I tolerate it for now. Bill Luke offered to diagnose the ipod issue, but I just don't feel like losing the car for 3 days to fix it. I'll make do with the phone on the seat VS ipod hidden in console. No Apple products work with this car, none. We tried.

If I switch back to an iphone, I'll bring it in and bite the bullet.

Oh and yup on the mirror. I installed a fisheye on there for now. Works, OK.

Oh and for those wondering, Android Auto tries to lock out the user from using the touchscreen because Google is paranoid about using your phone while driving-so they nanny you by trying to lock the screen on the phone- no reading texts, whatever. Android Auto even locks you out of scrolling for music thru the stereo, they prefer you do everything by voice command, and we all know how well voice recognition works :(

If you have a Samsung galaxy, the workaround for google's nannyism is to put the music app and whatever you use in the "Samsung Edge" Edge still works despite the screen lock so you can change music or access other functions thru the phone as long as you reach it thru Edge.

Apple carplay does NOT lock the screen during car use, you can operate the phone, text whatever while Carplay is active through the phone. Much cooler.

Also IMHO Android Auto is simply ugly. Butt ass ugly compared to Carplay, and it sucks. Carplay all the way.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
All good points, improve customer and dealer interactions so they would know about these things.
You know i think this is the only one that I think everyone will agree on. This will make or break the deal. That and the quality and reliability of repairs (timliness get the right solution done timely the first time) the rest of this some folks don’t care about some do but one thing would be nice a solid PrePaid maintenance for QVs.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The fuel filler cover is plastic, not metal.

The windshield is not meant to be flush by design.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I wouldn't know because my ipod dont work with this thing- at all.
Fortunately, my Android phone does, so I tolerate it for now. Bill Luke offered to diagnose the ipod issue, but I just don't feel like losing the car for 3 days to fix it. I'll make do with the phone on the seat VS ipod hidden in console. No Apple products work with this car, none. We tried.
I do not use CarPlay. I use IPod Touch that is USB connected in my center box. That is the only thing I listen to. It is set in the settings and works as designed. It may not be an AR issue and may be a device issue. Folks on this forum in the IPod threads helped me trouble shoot I didn’t take it to the dealer

Also, If you make an appointment at Bill Luke they will be available to work on the car. They never asked and I have never left my QV for even overnight work. Not sure where the 3 days is coming from to trouble shoot an audio issue. The Service Mgr said they do not want to keep the Alfa’s over night that is why they ask everyone to schedule and because they don’t have loaners (although a few months ago they said they were adding a couple Giulia’s for loan) I don’t want loaners and I work int he waiting area while service is being performed

·
Registered
422 Posts
Also, If you make an appointment at Bill Luke they will be available to work on the car. They never asked and I have never left my QV for even overnight work. Not sure where the 3 days is coming from to trouble shoot an audio issue.

...it becomes 3 days when you have to order a replacement data cable, then a replacement radio because none are carried on the shelf, that's how. That's what they said. Step by step diagnosis.

If I was FORCED to change playlists by voice only thanks to Android Auto, I'd have the ipod issue fixed by now. I'm not and I like full phone control access thru steering wheel when plugge din and voice search (when it works)

I change music playlists and songs a lot when i drive. Just how I am.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
...it becomes 3 days when you have to order a replacement data cable, then a replacement radio because none are carried on the shelf, that's how. That's what they said. Step by step diagnosis.

If I was FORCED to change playlists by voice only thanks to Android Auto, I'd have the ipod issue fixed by now. I'm not and I like full phone control access thru steering wheel when plugge din and voice search (when it works)

I change music playlists and songs a lot when i drive. Just how I am.
Right, I have had a couple things that had to be fixed.

1. Tow Cap - Pulled up had Steven look at it said they would order the part and call when it comes in. Since they had to send it to paint they would prefer to have the car for paint match. Part arrive a couple days later scheduled and they had the car for 6 hours.
2. Door trim - Pulled up the to bay, showed it to them they ordered the part, 5 minutes I left and they called when part came in. Scheduled my service and brought the car in. Took 2 hours I waited.
3. Flat tire - happened at 2 pm Friday. Said they could get it within a couple hours. Already close to 5 which is closing so scheduled for the morning. They coordinated with AR towing for Saturday morning and got the tire repaired in less than an hour on Saturday. I could have had it towed on Friday but I would rather have the QV at home

So I suppose I could leave my car for each of these repairs and each one would have taken 3 days for waiting on a part. I pull up to the bay note my issue and leave until part is waitin on me

·
Registered
422 Posts
Right, I have had a couple things that had to be fixed.

1. Tow Cap - Pulled up had Steven look at it said they would order the part and call when it comes in. Since they had to send it to paint they would prefer to have the car for paint match. Part arrive a couple days later scheduled and they had the car for 6 hours.
2. Door trim - Pulled up the to bay, showed it to them they ordered the part, 5 minutes I left and they called when part came in. Scheduled my service and brought the car in. Took 2 hours I waited.

So I suppose I could leave my car for each of these repairs and each one would have taken 3 days for waiting on a part. I pull up to the bay note my issue and leave until part is waitin on me
The dealer is 35 miles away, it's a major major hassle going back and forth, why I'm reluctant to take it in for work.

3 cars and I have to get a RENTAL to go back and forth- or get raped on cab fees. Sucks, bigtime.

I'll deal with it when I go on vacation or something. Maybe leave the car with them, that sort of thing.

rjp

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

Quality:

I don’t see these dimples. Rosso Comp Tri Coat. I went out with a flash light.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The dealer is 35 miles away, it's a major major hassle going back and forth, why I'm reluctant to take it in for work.

3 cars and I have to get a RENTAL to go back and forth- or get raped on cab fees. Sucks, bigtime.

I'll deal with it when I go on vacation or something. Maybe leave the car with them, that sort of thing.

rjp
You bought the car there. I would ask to speak to the GM around getting a loaner of any brand. If not complain to AR cares and get reimbursement. I have seen them offer that up when you are not given a loaner.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You bought the car there. I would ask to speak to the GM around getting a loaner of any brand. If not complain to AR cares and get reimbursement. I have seen them offer that up when you are not given a loaner.
They're actually pretty good about that, I got a Jeep Cherokee that reeked of french fries courtesy of them last time. Enterprise rental.

Wasn't too bad but I prefer my own cars, it's just a pain doing all that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are some good points expressed and I should have mentioned the caveat that not all points may be unintentional such as the windshield placement...interesting that that dimension is intentional engineering. I would have thought one would not want airflow to hit against the roof edge....I can't get a good photo of the reflection on my fuel filler door but here's the front fender which is (I think) poor quality. The reflection on the window is distorted above, below and leading up to the emblem. It's on other QVs as well.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 86 Posts