Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I've had my eye on the Giulia Quadrifoglio for some time now. I'm most likely going to pick it up in a week if I don't change my mind. I have a few questions for owners if Anyone can shed some light for me. Thanks.

1. hows the ground clearance for daily driving? I live near Downtown LA and frequently make trips there. I'm a little worried im going to scrape the car everywhere I go. Right now I'm driving a 2017 2SS camaro and that is tolerable for me at stock height.

2. Racing seats or regular seats? Theres two near me that I'm looking at and I can't decide on which seat to get... This car will be my daily.. Also does anyone know the difference in rear seat leg room with the Racing seats vs the regular seats in the front?

3. Are reliability issues really as bad as people are saying it is? I always hear people saying alfa romeo reliability is ****.. What are your experiences?

Thanks for the tip guys. I know these questions can be annoying but its a big decision for me to make and I want to be confident if I go through with it...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Greetings....I've had my Quad for over a year now...10,000 miles...daily driver...I'm in NY...

1) Clearance is fine...Potholes are a problem in NY...not sure about LA....Need to be careful with speed bumps...that's about it

2) I have the standard sport seats which I find incredibly supportive and comfortable...I'm in NY...I wanted the heated seat (can't get that on the Sparco- don't need it in LA)....I don't track the car ....love the carbon fiber back of the Sparco seat...I would say park your *ss in both and figure out which is more comfortable for your body type

3) Forums are notoriously skewed with owners looking for help to problems....Alfa reliability is way better than BMW or Audi....Car needs to have the proper software updates at delivery...

4) Enjoy the greatest car in this segment......

Hope this helps....Dino

Reactions: Sal Scotto

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I ditto except for.....

I did need to learn how to drive a low high performance car so the height is fine you just want to slant the climbs into my driveway and I am now fine. I didn’t need to add the little cement to my curb but I was scared because right out of the box we took it straight on. That is a no no.

I have Sparco seats. Gotta tell you I drive it daily and I love them. I live in AZ and heated seats is a waste of money. Air ventilated that would be nice. I am thin and my husband is stocky :laugh::wink2: in any case he loves the seats and finds them very comfortable. Not only are they gorgeous and always have a wow factor being in LA....they will be pretty cool. I would go for them. I have no idea what folks are talking about with hard seats. I find them with plenty of comfort and i have no padding. So I didn’t want them but now that I have them every time I get in that car I feel just that much prettier.

Note: just so they are not hidden from public view I will keep the windows open when it is nice (just the rears) so everyone can get a nice look:laugh:

In all honesty it is a preference. I can say one thing they are a Wow factor and are plenty comfortable.

Reliability. I have a 2017 oh no I know first year gotta be bad. No not at all. I actually got one that had sat on the lot anything that is new and carries a 90k sticker is going to sit. Well we have not had any mechanical issues and find the drive lovely and it doesn’t hurt that it is wicked quick. We have many BMW friends and they are still fans of their brand but they really like the QV a lot. Some will likely come over to the dark side when they get the courage.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Alright so I've had my eye on the Giulia Quadrifoglio for some time now. I'm most likely going to pick it up in a week if I don't change my mind. I have a few questions for owners if Anyone can shed some light for me. Thanks.

1. hows the ground clearance for daily driving? I live near Downtown LA and frequently make trips there. I'm a little worried im going to scrape the car everywhere I go. Right now I'm driving a 2017 2SS camaro and that is tolerable for me at stock height.

2. Racing seats or regular seats? Theres two near me that I'm looking at and I can't decide on which seat to get... This car will be my daily.. Also does anyone know the difference in rear seat leg room with the Racing seats vs the regular seats in the front?

3. Are reliability issues really as bad as people are saying it is? I always hear people saying alfa romeo reliability is ****.. What are your experiences?

Thanks for the tip guys. I know these questions can be annoying but its a big decision for me to make and I want to be confident if I go through with it...
Rear seat leg room difference I don’t know. I am only 5 3 so anyone can sit in the back with me driving. If you have the seat all the way back they can still fit fine but if someone is 6 foot 8 driving I am not sure anyone is going to be super comfy in the back. We have tall friends and they were impressed with the leg room but this is not the real saloon that is going to give the rear a lot of room regardless which seat you get.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have not noticed any problems with ground clearance. You need to be careful pulling up to curbs.

The sparco seats were a bit snug for me. I am 6’3” 230lbs. The regular seats are super comfortable. I bet the sparco seats would be great if i were 20 or 30 lbs lighter.

I don’t think reliability is any worse than than M’s or AMG’s. If there are problems they seem to be software related and not mechanical for the most part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get the QV. You will not regret it!
Standard seats are very comfortable and very supportive. Fine for tracking too. Sport seats are also great but really not necessary unless it is your particular aesthetic. If you are getting the car as a second car to be a track rat, then get the sport seats. Otherwise I wouldn't think so. (same thought on ceramic brakes...the un-sprung weight difference is not noticeable on a street car and you can replace a lot of rotors for seven grand)

I've only got a 1000 miles on my car so I can't really say much about long term reliability other than mine has been perfect so far.

The 2018's have plenty of ground clearance - as a matter of fact that is the only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with....maybe a little too much ground clearance. The later '17's and '18s appear to be tuned about 1" higher than the early 2017's. This is based on measurements reported in this forum. You can find other threads here on actual measurements, but I've driven much lower cars than this one in cities including LA without any issues.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
78 Posts
1) It depends on how you drive it. Around town, pot holes etc. no big deal. I go over speed bumps at an angle, honestly not sure if I need to, the car has pretty good clearance. That being said...I have scraped many many times while driving spirited through the hills around northern ca. It sucks a lot but its just the bottom of the splitter and diffuser(rarely) that make contact.

2) this is all personal preference. the CF looks great but I found the "stock" seats a bit more comfortable and a few chilly mornings I'll put on the warmers but they aren't up to par for the competition.

3) I have had no issues with mine. Super happy I went with this. It's different, not too flashy and is crazy planted on the road.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

1. I don’t really recall ever scraping the front lip. The front isn’t really such a bad clearance thing as the overhang is relatively short and the active front splitter gives it more clearance at slow speeds.

2. I have the standard seats and love them. Best you see if you can sit in both if possible but I’ve heard the Sparco’s are pretty comfortable too but best if you’re on the skinny side. Also they lack heat, probably not a big deal in LA, and lack some of the power controls of the standard seats as well. It really comes down to what you like best like choosing a color you like...

3. I’ve had my QV since the end of January and just went over 3k miles and not a single solitary problem. I hit a pothole and flattened a wheel, got an new tire and the wheel repaired, but that’s not the car’s fault. I even drove the car to a track event and had a blast doing 4x20minute sesssions each around 15 Laps throughput the day and the temperature gauge was rock steady down the middle. The gas gauge was another story and the only real drawback of the car is that fun=thirsty. After all that I drove it back home like nothing happened. That said amazingly on the highway in advanced efficiency mode when cruising it can top 30 mpg.

It’s a great combo of fun but surprisingly practical and not punishing at all compared to most high performance cars. All the fun without the pain and downsides you often see in this class of vehicle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback guys!! It really helps.. I'm looking forward to being part of the Alfa family soon!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
The other issue not mentioned is the parts supply. At present there are not as many parts in the US via dealers or as many after-market suppliers compared with the other brands. I guessed this "going in" but it is something to understand. I am now 2 weeks waiting for a cracked windshield replacement and it could be another month for all I know. Rear bumpers were taking time to replace from other posts mentioned. Service technicians are less knowledgeable about the car and since this model diverges so greatly from the prior 159, 164, etc models this makes sense. On a BMW 3,5 series the floating brake caliper hasn't changed in 30 years (until now on some of their models) in contrast. So with companies that only have made slow or gradual changes to their components the repair an replace process is a lot more predictable. Here not so. Still I am very, very happy with the driving experience and most people here will agree with that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ground clearance on the QV is exceptional for this type of car (my personal comparison point being Porsche). I drive mine in Houston, which models its roads on those of Cairo. So far I have never had a problem. Of course you need to watch out for potholes because of the low profile tires.

Also, I am impressed by the design of the diffuser when backing into a parking space that has a concrete stop. If you accidentally back up too far it will clear the ones around here, although of course it is still best not to back up that far.

I have the Sparco seats and love them. I'd get them if for no other reason that it is one of those options you will always have regrets not getting (once the pain of paying for them has passed).

So far no reliability problems on my car. 2018 with 3,700 miles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OP, I've had mine for 2 weeks now and have driven over most of the driveways where I have scraped in other cars. So far, I have not scraped but I have also reserved myself to the possibility that it can happen and I'll just have to live with it if it does.. as long as it's superficial scraping underneath that cannot be seen from the front. This will be my daily driver in CT so having some sort of reasonable ground clearance was important to me.

I have the standard seats and they are great but I would have been fine with the Sparcos too. My decision on the standard seats had more to do with everyday liveability for a daily driver and having heat if needed in winter. I also feel that the bolstering is fantastic and body sliding is minimal with the Alcantara centers. So you're really not gaining much there with the Sparcos and if the Sparcos don't fit your body style, there's no adjusting to make them fit.

It's only been 2 weeks so I can't speak to long term reliability yet but so far so good and I hope it stays that way. But the car feels really well built and solid, no rattles or squeaks over the crappy roads here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Sparcos look fantastic but unless you're truly going to be tracking your car (in which case you would want to get real Sparco/Recaro/etc race seats aftermarket) it did not make sense to me.

It would be nice if ventilated seats were an option like they are on the 911...that is an option I would pay a premium to get.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I’ll say welcome to the family early. It my first Alfa. I don’t have a lot of miles on yet but no problem, my only issue is the brake dust. Clearance not a issue so far haven’t hit anything yet doesn’t seem to be lower then most performance cars. Seats well it’s a personal choice I guess. I got the race seat love them but had recaro in my last two cars. Fine them comfortable for short and Long trips I’m 6,1. I’ve read the race seats give slightly more room in the back seat due to the hard back but I don’t have both to compare, it makes sense.

Hope this help. Good luck with your decision ether way you’re a winner on this deal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anyone have issues with passengers scraping the doors on the sidewalk? I also have a Lexus Ct200h thats notorious for door scraping...

·
Registered
334 Posts

1) you will quickly learn to be a bit careful with curbs and parking space stops, but normally the clearance is just fine.
2) I have the regular seata and love them. The Sparco's don't support heaters, and in Colorado that made a difference to me.
3) I have 13,000 miles on mine and the reliability has been exceptional. Most people yapping about Alfa reliability either have outdated facts and are thinking of cars from the 90's. This is a brand new car, new architecture, and shares nothing with Fiats. Go for it, I enjoy mine every day ....

·
Registered
64 Posts
BTW:
European QVs got changed in height some months ago. They got +1 inch with other springs. Maybe - if not happened until now - there will be a change for MY 2019 in the US.
Some days ago i could compare the Sparcos to standard seats. I'm sure the standard seats are set higher in lowest position. Which seat is better for you, only your butt will know :wink2:
Best regards
Waldek

1 - 17 of 17 Posts