Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
These will be here soon (Forgeline EX1)in medium bronze as seen in the 2nd pic. It is their new monblock forged wheel that debuted at SEMA. Lightweight (should be lighter than stock)and track capable they should show off the carbon ceramics nicely as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Very Nice!! Like the contrast of bronze to red!

I see you got the AS 3+'s how would you rate them for QV duty?

I was planning of going with these for my purchase and put the Corsa's away for the summer. I ran these on my ISF (winter) and using Pilot SS's (Summer) and my Viggen ( year around) and for a 500 Treadware tire they stick pretty good.

Reactions: kanundrum

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes! :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very Nice!! Like the contrast of bronze to red!

I see you got the AS 3+'s how would you rate them for QV duty?

I was planning of going with these for my purchase and put the Corsa's away for the summer. I ran these on my ISF (winter) and using Pilot SS's (Summer) and my Viggen ( year around) and for a 500 Treadware tire they stick pretty good.

They are solid, great traction in the dry but not the best in the snow if that is your thing! I would recommend DWS06 all day long if you dont mind paying the premium. I got these AS3's on a very great deal which is why I went with them.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
These will be here soon (Forgeline EX1)in medium bronze as seen in the 2nd pic. It is their new monblock forged wheel that debuted at SEMA. Lightweight (should be lighter than stock)and track capable they should show off the carbon ceramics nicely as well.
I like the style AND the color of the first wheel. That would look great on all the colors; but especially red, black, white and blue. Did they give any indication of pricing?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
Forgeline is pretty quiet about weights. I see they price the EX1 at $1735 per wheel starting price; I presume more if you want wide rims or custom paint. Would you have any information about the weights?

The Tecnico wheels are already pretty light: 19.25 pounds for 19x8.5 and 20.25 pound for 19x10. The 5 hole wheels are significantly heavier (25-26 pounds) while the 18" offerings as OEM equipment are about the same or more.

Wheel weights and prices seem to be all over the map. Ford GT350 wheels (19x11?) weigh in at a whopping 31 pounds, while the very expensive carrbon fiber wheels that come on the GT350R reduce that to a Tecnico-like 19 pounds. Some cast aluminum wheels costing only about $300 each manage to weigh in around 19-20 pounds in the 19" diameter, raising the question if a forged wheel is really doing something that justifies paying more than 5 times the price.

Perhaps some of this is offset dependent? Intuitively I think that larger offset == greater weight because the weight of the vehicle gains more leverage on the material in the wheel. A wheel designed like the Forgeline EX1 with narrow, semi-hollow spokes might be better optimized strength wise, but does it make the wheel into an aero-drag generating "egg beater"?

I wonder if anyone makes billet 7075-T6 aluminum wheels. Billet 7075-T6 is more than 80% stronger than 6061-T6 (73ksi versus 40ksi respectively), is easier to machine (6061 is highly abrasive and wears down cutting tools), and can readily be chemically machined. Maybe it isn't available in large enough dimensions? Compare with forging 6061-T6 which can at most increase its strength by 11%. 7075 is almost exclusively purchased in huge blocks and cut to shape because it is difficult to shape and/or heat treat. Motorcycle and bicycle wheels are available in this material, but I don't see car wheels in a quick search.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like the style AND the color of the first wheel. That would look great on all the colors; but especially red, black, white and blue. Did they give any indication of pricing?
Transparent copper is certainly different. The EX1(first pic) in the medium bronze will stand out enough with the yellow calipers on a white backdrop. You can pick up a set with stock widths and offsets for just over $5k

Forgeline is pretty quiet about weights. I see they price the EX1 at $1735 per wheel starting price; I presume more if you want wide rims or custom paint. Would you have any information about the weights?

The Tecnico wheels are already pretty light: 19.25 pounds for 19x8.5 and 20.25 pound for 19x10. The 5 hole wheels are significantly heavier (25-26 pounds) while the 18" offerings as OEM equipment are about the same or more.

Wheel weights and prices seem to be all over the map. Ford GT350 wheels (19x11?) weigh in at a whopping 31 pounds, while the very expensive carrbon fiber wheels that come on the GT350R reduce that to a Tecnico-like 19 pounds. Some cast aluminum wheels costing only about $300 each manage to weigh in around 19-20 pounds in the 19" diameter, raising the question if a forged wheel is really doing something that justifies paying more than 5 times the price.

Perhaps some of this is offset dependent? Intuitively I think that larger offset == greater weight because the weight of the vehicle gains more leverage on the material in the wheel. A wheel designed like the Forgeline EX1 with narrow, semi-hollow spokes might be better optimized strength wise, but does it make the wheel into an aero-drag generating "egg beater"?

I wonder if anyone makes billet 7075-T6 aluminum wheels. Billet 7075-T6 is more than 80% stronger than 6061-T6 (73ksi versus 40ksi respectively), is easier to machine (6061 is highly abrasive and wears down cutting tools), and can readily be chemically machined. Maybe it isn't available in large enough dimensions? Compare with forging 6061-T6 which can at most increase its strength by 11%. 7075 is almost exclusively purchased in huge blocks and cut to shape because it is difficult to shape and/or heat treat. Motorcycle and bicycle wheels are available in this material, but I don't see car wheels in a quick search.

I don't have the info on weights yet but once received I will for sure throw them on a scale. They are certainly lighter than the 5 hole but probably very similar to the Tecnico wheel weights. I thought I had seen where the Tecnico wheels would not work on the carbon ceramics where these Forgelines of course will.

I have a GT350 (my track car)as well and run the Forgeline GA1R wheels on the R offset 19x11 with 315's on all four corners. I am only 3 lbs off the R carbon fiber wheels setup. As you said the stock GT350 "forged" wheels are indeed heavy.

Cast wheels while cheaper is certainly a scenario of you get what you pay for. Lightweight and cast or spun forged have a larger inner barrel thickness or less brake clearance. An frankly it is just a step backwards to go to a heavier less capable wheel particularly for a carbon ceramic brake car where the biggest gain outside of brake performance is the weight reduction.

No idea on the 7075-T6 stock when it comes to forged wheel manufacturing but I can say the future of high performance wheels is in carbon fiber from what I see. The driving and performance dynamics are just too good for high end wheel and auto manufacturers to ignore.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
You're a brave soul playing with plastidip on wheels. A few people I know have done it and spent DAYS trying to remove it when they got tired of the color.

Anywho:

I wanted bronze, but they only come in silver or black. Not sure if I'll get them powder coated, since they are like a $500 set of wheels.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
I don't have the info on weights yet but once received I will for sure throw them on a scale. They are certainly lighter than the 5 hole but probably very similar to the Tecnico wheel weights. I thought I had seen where the Tecnico wheels would not work on the carbon ceramics where these Forgelines of course will.
Please do post the weights. AR will not sell the car in the USA with CCB and Tecnicos, but in all other countries they do sell that combination. It is not clear why this restriction is in place.

I have a GT350 (my track car)as well and run the Forgeline GA1R wheels on the R offset 19x11 with 315's on all four corners. I am only 3 lbs off the R carbon fiber wheels setup. As you said the stock GT350 "forged" wheels are indeed heavy.

Cast wheels while cheaper is certainly a scenario of you get what you pay for. Lightweight and cast or spun forged have a larger inner barrel thickness or less brake clearance. An frankly it is just a step backwards to go to a heavier less capable wheel particularly for a carbon ceramic brake car where the biggest gain outside of brake performance is the weight reduction.
For the 2.0T there is one (Canadian) MFG that makes a cast set of 19" wheels with very close to the same weight as the Tecnicos. It is unclear if they will fit a QV. It is unclear to me if they match the strength and rigidity of similar size and weight forged wheels.
No idea on the 7075-T6 stock when it comes to forged wheel manufacturing but I can say the future of high performance wheels is in carbon fiber from what I see. The driving and performance dynamics are just too good for high end wheel and auto manufacturers to ignore.
The thickest available 7075-T6 material I could find online is 8". That might be sufficient to cut a 3 piece wheel, but is clearly not sufficient to make a 1 or 2 piece wheel.

I am monitoring the internet for a CF wheel that will fit the 2.0T (or QV), but haven't found anything so far. Maybe it will happen eventually. Here are the manufacturers that I can find so far, perhaps you can add to the list?

Carbon Revolution (Australia) in production with Ford GT350R wheels. I think they make a couple of others for speed shops. Uses wet layup CF (the worst strength-to-weight variant of CF) yielding a 19 pound 19x11 wheel in CF that needs a heat reflective coating to deal with brake heat. Doesn't seem like a very good cost-performance ratio compared to forged (about twice the price of forged). Wants to be an OEM supplier, so no direct orders and no custom fabrications.

Koenigsegg (Sweden?) in production with wheels for the Koenigsegg only. You have to buy the whole car to get a wheel set. Not much info available except that they use pre-preg CF.

Emergent Carbon Wheels (USA?) in production with CF barrels only for a 2 piece wheel. Only makes 20" and 21" diameters (pretty much too large for Giulia--20" rims will fit but you end up with very little sidewall on the tire--even the OEM 19" wheels are already marginal for sidewall height). Not much other info available. This smells good, except the lack of producing the "right" size for Giulia.

ESE (USA) claims to make CF wheels using pre-preg with high-temp resin to deal with brake heat + aluminum hub slug. They claim custom fabrication of the hub to suit individual customer orders. They have been yapping about their 11 pound 19x9 wheels for years but have yet to deliver anything to a paying customer.

I have Hed 3 spoke CF wheels on my bicycle. These are designed for aerodynamic efficiency rather than weight reduction. The design is 20 years old or so. I've been quite pleased with them.
The top of a wheel with a low profile tire is moving twice as fast as the vehicle. Since aero drag increases roughly as the square of the speed this means the wheels have the potential to create a significant aero drag. Unlike on a bicycle, car wheels are wind protected though so I do not know if the aero dynamic properties of car wheels are as critical as on bicycle wheels.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're a brave soul playing with plastidip on wheels. A few people I know have done it and spent DAYS trying to remove it when they got tired of the color.

The Key is go heavy (about 10 coats). After that all you need to do is peel off or goo gone it and let it soak in the sun for 1 hour and then wash off. I have had nothing but great things using the product but you have do everything 100% right haha.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Please do post the weights. AR will not sell the car in the USA with CCB and Tecnicos, but in all other countries they do sell that combination. It is not clear why this restriction is in place.
Interesting. I know I have had a rock wedge in between the stock 5 hole 19" wheel and caliper on the CCB's and scar the inside barrel of the wheel. Tight tolerance indeed.

It is unclear to me if they match the strength and rigidity of similar size and weight forged wheels.
There is no cast in whatever form (flow formed, spun forged or otherwise) wheel that can match strength or rigidity at the same weight of a true monoblock forged wheel.

I am monitoring the internet for a CF wheel that will fit the 2.0T (or QV), but haven't found anything so far. Maybe it will happen eventually. Here are the manufacturers that I can find so far, perhaps you can add to the list?
No others I can add. The expense and price point are just too cost prohibitive unless for mass production of a specific vehicle application. Hence the GT350R. After seeing the front brake picture for the new supposed GT500 I suspect we will see a 20" CF wheel offering from Ford on yet another production vehicle. I do think you will see more of the hybrid like that of the Forgeline I posted which nearly matches the weight of a full carbon fiber wheel and has all the flexibility in meeting multiple vehicle applications/offsets.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
No others I can add. The expense and price point are just too cost prohibitive unless for mass production of a specific vehicle application. Hence the GT350R. After seeing the front brake picture for the new supposed GT500 I suspect we will see a 20" CF wheel offering from Ford on yet another production vehicle. I do think you will see more of the hybrid like that of the Forgeline I posted which nearly matches the weight of a full carbon fiber wheel and has all the flexibility in meeting multiple vehicle applications/offsets.
I think the Forgeline wheel picture that you posted has an Emergent Carbon barrel. I asked them if they plan to make 19" or 18" barrels, but got no response. Actual weight information seems to be missing from either website, do you have any? This 2 piece approach certainly looks like the best approach for after market wheels.

A few years back HRE apparently attempted to make a 3 piece wheel with a CF barrel, but the split CF barrel had air leak problems and was recalled.

Both ESE and Carbon Revolution are quoting $12,000 per set. I didn't see price information for the others.

Regarding the Tecnicos fitting over CCM brakes, I do not have direct experience and am repeating posts (more than one) that you can find in the forums.
One post also suggests that it is possible to squeeze an 18" wheel over the QV iron disks.

Some notes on CF wheels:

They reportedly soften the ride a little. This could only be possible by deflecting more than Al, which might not be a good thing.
Any damage to the weave of a CF part threatens the integrity of the entire part. CF has a bad habit of growing cracks once one is started.
The tire-CF interface requires special consideration in order to ensure that the tire does not spin on the wheel. Aluminum is naturally a high friction material, as demonstrated by its use as a braking surface on bicycle wheels. There have been experiments with aluminum car brake disks, but aluminum wears too fast for that application.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
Here is an update regarding ESE. According to posts in the Corvette forum as of 11/17 they have made numerous wheels, submitted them for certification testing and failed the tests. This is at least their 2nd attempt.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Anywho:

I wanted bronze, but they only come in silver or black. Not sure if I'll get them powder coated, since they are like a $500 set of wheels.
Hi - what suspension do you have? No way this is stock :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts