Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Sport with trailer hitch
3,370 Posts
Are you sure? Alfa tech told me the whine was aux coolant pump for turbo stopping heat sink. He also said it’s the pump for proper IC circulation?? Was he wrong? Why would a egr solenoid be going on minutes after shut down? Confusion. Lol
Yup. The auxillary pump cant even be heard. Its in a completely different place from where the nouse comes from too.

Unplug the aux pump relay and you'll still hear the noise.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Why would the egr valve solenoid "run" after the engine is off? I understand the value of Exhaust Gas Recirculation when the engine is running, but what gain is achieved to run the solenoid for minutes when the engine is off? And the sound; don't most solenoids like this open and close a valve or orifice? Is it cycling so fast that it sounds like a pump running? Many of us believe that a coolant pump continues to run after the engine stops to cool the turbo. Is it silent? Can you put your hand on it and feel it operating after the engine stops?

Reactions: beta2alfa

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Sport with trailer hitch
3,370 Posts
Why would the egr valve solenoid "run" after the engine is off? I understand the value of Exhaust Gas Recirculation when the engine is running, but what gain is achieved to run the solenoid for minutes when the engine is off? And the sound; don't most solenoids like this open and close a valve or orifice? Is it cycling so fast that it sounds like a pump running? Many of us believe that a coolant pump continues to run after the engine stops to cool the turbo. Is it silent? Can you put your hand on it and feel it operating after the engine stops?
The coolant pump spurts about 5-10 times after you shut the car off. It makes a pulse flow 5 to 10 times. You cant hear it. If you get right up on it its a low hum and slight gurgle as it pulses. You can watch it happen by opening up the turbo coolant bleed valve.

The egr whines just like a throttle body solenoid. Its high pitched. It stays open for a few minutes to prevent itself from getting all gummed up and sticking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting posts. I have loss of power. No cel or codes. Checked ic temps; up to 80 c bit whats weird is the mes is indicating ambient is 50c but actual ambient was only 16c. I wonder if my ambient temp sensor is wonky? Where is that sensor? My HVAC is also acting weird. Normally when I leave in manual mode,the ac will not come on When Veh started. Now it always comes on on every start no matter what.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,259 Posts
For some reason I have it stuck in my head that it's in the passenger side mirror. @Crosshairs @Beta Romeo ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I've figured out where I went wrong. On my car, the relay housing/loom was the inner most not the middle assembly as per Beta Romeo's diagram showing location of said relay, so i had inadvertentlyswapped the wrong relay. I've noticed on the UK forum there seems to be a variation in what position the looms are clipped on to the rail. Something to be mindful of. Just look for the loom with the white/violet cable. That's the loom that goes to the pump relay.
I looked all three looms and didn’t see white/violet or what would appear to be those colors. Any other distinguishing marks etc that would differentiate this particular loom? I guess I could jump the the multi pin plug to see if the pump fires up.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
@Gtv2000 , somewhere it was stated that the pump relay was the (only?) relay with 3 wires. Might this be true?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Perhaps dead thread but my ‘17 Q4 appears to have similar issue. What’s weird though is first I have no codes at all. Second, my MES readings appear to be crazy baseline inaccurate. It shows ambient temp to be 60c when it’s more like 17c confirmed on my dash cluster. I have read ambient sensor fails ( located in pass side side view mirror)
When cruising, IAT / boost temps are close to supposed ambient (60c) but when going to WOT IAT / boost temps wacks up to 125c Instantly.
For those who measured, what wot iat/boosted temps were u getting?? I’ve read conflicting info; some state up to twice over ambient and some state only 20c over ambient. Relay test starting soon

·
Registered
601 Posts
Perhaps dead thread but my ‘17 Q4 appears to have similar issue. What’s weird though is first I have no codes at all. Second, my MES readings appear to be crazy baseline inaccurate. It shows ambient temp to be 60c when it’s more like 17c confirmed on my dash cluster. I have read ambient sensor fails ( located in pass side side view mirror)
When cruising, IAT / boost temps are close to supposed ambient (60c) but when going to WOT IAT / boost temps wacks up to 125c Instantly.
For those who measured, what wot iat/boosted temps were u getting?? I’ve read conflicting info; some state up to twice over ambient and some state only 20c over ambient. Relay test starting soon
Post intercooler I see 10C over ambient all the way to double ambient depending on a lot of factors like air flow and what not

Pre intercooler it can spike up to 150C but 125C seems normal for full boost, atleast from what I have seen

If your seeing 60C or more post intercooler while on the highway for like 5 minutes and it's not dropping your pump likely isn't pumping

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Is there an, other than OE, relay that anyone can recommend? Like with the starter relay, there is a NAPA Echlin number that works, and is readily available for an honest price.

·
Registered
120 Posts
LIN1 Code. Replace this relay! Don't burn up your turbo orings!

View attachment 112398

I've been looking to make a full post about this. I will soon.
Hi. I’m looking into this issue w my car having similar symptoms. What’s interesting is on my car the middle socket assembly had only 1 relay in it. The pic posted here shows all 3 sockets assemblies having two relays in each one. I swapped with another relay from trunk for rear defroster. . No change; rear defroster light comes on. So it must be the other assembly, the most inner with 2 relays in it im guessing. Is it the inner most relay that controls the IC aux pump vs the outer one in same socket assembly?
I’ve read to look for violet and white wire but I couldn’t distinguish this wire. I saw a red/white wire but again, this didnt appear to help my issue.
I then swapped the inner most relay w the in trunk fuse box charging relay per pic provided but the charging ports both work, if these are the actual charging ports mentioned.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi. I’m looking into this issue w my car having similar symptoms. What’s interesting is on my car the middle socket assembly had only 1 relay in it. The pic posted here shows all 3 sockets assemblies having two relays in each one. I swapped with another relay from trunk for rear defroster. . No change; rear defroster light comes on. So it must be the other assembly, the most inner with 2 relays in it im guessing. Is it the inner most relay that controls the IC aux pump vs the outer one in same socket assembly?
I’ve read to look for violet and white wire but I couldn’t distinguish this wire. I saw a red/white wire but again, this didnt appear to help my issue.
I then swapped the inner most relay w the in trunk fuse box charging relay per pic provided but the charging ports both work, if these are the actual charging ports mentioned.
You have a 2017 model. Those come with just one relay and one set of wires running to that relay. May not be all of them, but maybe those made before a certainty date.

anywho, the middle socket assembly with just the single relay next to the 20amp fuse is the water pump/inter cooler relay. That’s the one you want to change.

depending on your orientation facing car looking at windshield the assembly to theright closest to the driver side houses the starter relay (first relay and closest to driver side of facing car looking at windshield) and the second relay is for auto start stop.
There is a diagram on another thread showing the images with labels for each relay and what they do.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
344 Posts
Is there an, other than OE, relay that anyone can recommend? Like with the starter relay, there is a NAPA Echlin number that works, and is readily available for an honest price.
I found this on ALFABB.com... It shows a GM relay Part number 96484304 which is supposed to be a replacement for the 06106094AA. If it works correctly, it would be an inexpensive alternative.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
246 Posts
You have a 2017 model. Those come with just one relay and one set of wires running to that relay. May not be all of them, but maybe those made before a certainty date.

anywho, the middle socket assembly with just the single relay next to the 20amp fuse is the water pump/inter cooler relay. That’s the one you want to change.

depending on your orientation facing car looking at windshield the assembly to theright closest to the driver side houses the starter relay (first relay and closest to driver side of facing car looking at windshield) and the second relay is for auto start stop.
There is a diagram on another thread showing the images with labels for each relay and what they do.
Good info. The relay next to the starter relay is listed as "A/C clutch" in another pic. Do you know where you found it is for auto start/stop?

·
Registered
120 Posts

Hi
whats interesting is I tried the single relay socket first but still had issue. I swapped rear relay and defroster still worked w old relay sooo…,
Went to socket closest to drivers side: it has 2 relays in there, I swapped the inner most relay and lo and behold issue gone!
The brapp is back!! Full power, trans downshift quickly / immediately where during issue it was reluctant to downshift. The exhaust makes that lovely brapp during hard accel shifts and the ac doesn’t alway turn on on every key cycle. Perhaps ambient temp sensor is in this circuit? Need to check with MES while driving…lazy lately 😳🥴🤣🇮🇹🏁
Now whats really weird is the relay I used was from the “power charge circuit; either P 09 or 17…I forget but thinking it’s for the usb charging ports. Anyway, those ports are working w old relay?
Makes no sense but know relays can stick intermittently and perhaps during this removal it freed up??

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
@Gtv2000, did you simply swap around relays, or install new one(s)? Did you snap any images with locations?

101 - 120 of 139 Posts