Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just joined the forum but I've been reading here on and off for the past several months since I've been wanting to purchase a Giulia for quite some time. Tomorrow may be the day that thought might be fulfilled -- I have to say the reliability posts have somewhat scared me. I've gone to different sites as well trying to make the best decision and I'm still on the fence, more so leaning toward not getting it as this has to be a reliable vehicle for many years to come.

Does anyone know if later production vehicles have had less problems? My plan is to ask them to run the VIN for the tech bulletins tomorrow to see what has already been done, if anything. I also plan on finding out the date the car was produced, obviously still hoping for the later production run. I know reading some of these posts it seems the later production dates have fewer issues-- is this a true trend?

This will be the first time seeing one in person that I can actually get in and touch. I've only seen one other one in a parking lot. I'm super stoked but also a bit more nervous -- my gut tells me if you love it, get it! but the logical side is pumping the brakes...

The car I'll be looking at is :
Giulia is a 2017 RWD with the 18" wheels, cold weather package, and the 8.8" infotainment system

Any quick information is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mary

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Mary

As with all specific model forums, you’ll hear more negative than positive about reliability. After all, this is where people come to vent and get help. I can say that mine has been perfect from day one and I’m sure many more can chime in regarding reliability. The car is under warranty so I wouldn’t worry too much.

The smile it puts on your as well as onlookers faces makes it all worth it.

What other cars are you looking at?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
What I suggest is that you do a search here on the forum where there is a list of TSB & RRT that have been done..AND ask to check the infotainment software version for which there is an update...try and be pro-active..if they are a good dealer they will not balk...also make sure they check the air pressure in the tires...most come over inflated...Best of Luck in your search

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi Mary,

Well, I would say that the quality of the dealer and it's service department will make all the difference. (Also, cars with a later build-date- I think June are a IIHS top safety pick. If time is not an issue, you can either wait for the 2018's or special order one. Back in the 80's, I bought an Alfa GTV-6 and they had a poor quality reputation but I had a great dealership and despite some problems, it remains the best car that I ever had---It was gorgeous and that Alfa 6 cylinder engine made such a magnificent sound---It never failed to put a smile on my face---These cars are very special

·
Registered
189 Posts
Drive it, if you fall in love, get it. As long as the dealer is not too far, I would not worry too much, but there will be servicing updates for software over time. Mine is an early build (Nov '16) and has had just a couple minor issues when new, only one problem is still recurring and unresolved, but i have been delaying going back to the dealer to get final updates.

Personally I would get a '17, one can squeeze a really big discount, the dealers are really motivated to move them now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi Mary,

Well, I would say that the quality of the dealer and it's service department will make all the difference. (Also, cars with a later build-date- I think June are a IIHS top safety pick. If time is not an issue, you can either wait for the 2018's or special order one. Back in the 80's, I bought an Alfa GTV-6 and they had a poor quality reputation but I had a great dealership and despite some problems, it remains the best car that I ever had---It was gorgeous and that Alfa 6 cylinder engine made such a magnificent sound---It never failed to put a smile on my face---These cars are very special
my gtv/6's were among my most memorable cars too. they created my passion for alfa romeo!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all -- Thanks for quick responses! Made me feel more confident about the potential purchase I'll be making. I go around noon today (PST) so I'll definitely be putting an update on here!

Here's some info on what the deal may look like...

Car was originally $41,290.00

Giulia is a 2017 RWD
Exterior: Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Interior: Black/Red
18" wheels (Dark Turbine Aluminum)
cold weather package
8.8" infotainment system

It's being driven right now by the dealer owner so it has a few hundred miles on it (not sure just how much though)

Before I'm in the door they're telling me 38,999.00 plus tax and license

We've purchased from this dealer before and it was a pleasant experience -- but that being said they supposedly have purchased this Alfa from a Alfa dealer that was closing down. They say it's never been registered -- to me that means I should be able to get the special financing rate that Alfa is offering. I'm wondering if because they are only a Chrysler dealer if that's why I can't get that.. Any thoughts on this please chime in.

Here's the kicker -- I have a 2015 Chevy Malibu that I will be replacing with around 52,000 miles on it. It's got a few upgrades but not the top model. Unfortunately on my commute home earlier this year a b**** hit me in a roundabout and my insurance screwed me by saying I was at fault -- That's a whole other story that I'm still pissed about -- I was in the roundabout, person in the roundabout has the right-of-way correct?! she neglected to yield and ran into my rear passenger side door. It's about $1,200.00 worth of damage on it that I never fixed because I'm still sore about it and I knew it really wouldn't make a difference if I fixed it or if I left it when it came into trading in for what I would get in regards to the trade-in price.

So that being said, I still owe about 13,800.00 on the Bu. Since we're repeat customers they say they'll take care of us and I do believe they will. I'm more concerned about getting more for the trade than off the car at this point since it already is somewhat discounted...

I know this is a long winded post, does it sound like a decent deal? My Interest rate will probably be around 3.9% and I"m going to do 72months because I really am planning on keeping this car for as long as I can. I'm done swapping, that's why I want to make sure this is the car that makes me tick!

Other vehicles I've looked at: GTI, R32, Lexus IS, Jaguar E-Pace & F-Pace

I'm kind of all over, the Giulia stands out the most and the one I zeroed in on.... I've owned a 2010 GTI before which I absolutely loved which has been pulling on the heart strings as of late...

What other ones did you guys look at before the Giulia?

Mary

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If the dealer has been driving it as his personal car, then it's technically a used car and they should be giving you a much bigger discount. The dealer here locally in Idaho is giving at least $6,000 discounts on their 2017's which have not been driven. The car you're looking at should be more like $36k not $38k.

The good side of that deal is since the dealer has been driving it, it's probably been updated and doesn't have any problems. The only thing questionable about it is just what kind of driving has he been doing. Most people don't take care of cars they don't own, which is why you never want to buy a rental car.

I don't know...this is a tough one... especially if you really want that particular car. Don't be an easy sale; make them work for it and mention the fact that it's a used car and you expect a much bigger discount.

Okay I just checked the dealer's website here (Dennis Dillon Alfa Romeo) which is where I bought mine, and they're advertising a white 2017 RWD which has an MSRP of $40,690 for $34,027. Dealer site is:

https://www.alfaromeousaofboise.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&model=Giulia&gvBodyStyle=Sedan

If you're in the states, there are much better deals that you can get. Use that website to show your dealer what kind of prices you can get elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, all the info is pretty preliminary since I haven't gone and actually talked to them yet. I'll give everyone an update later today.

I'm with you though, if the owner has been driving it, regardless of being registered or not that's a demo/used car!

Mary

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mines been perfect from day one also, almost 8k miles. Love to drive it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, everyone, I decided to not go. After seeing some of the other deals and stuff it didn't look like they would be willing to get down that far so I decided to not tempt myself. I will keep looking and see if something else speaks to me!

Monumental moment for me to walk away from this, I love cars!

Mary

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Deals and Life

Money comes and goes....exhilaration can be priceless....life is too short to be mundane....
Drive a Giulia and LIVE !!! Especially if you "Love Cars".....:grin2:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It's more about how you spend your money. If the Giulia is what you want, get it. Why go around thinking that you wish you would have followed your heart instead of pocketbook.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mary - I have to agree with my fellow forum posters. The car is simply incredible to drive and will bring you joy. I have 4500 miles on my RWD and couldn't imagine driving something else. If you can afford it - go buy it. Go in with a number that makes you happy and prearranged loan/credit and go to work on them. They won't let you drive the Bu away if they're serious.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You can definitely get a better deal, like $34-36k and should include taxes. Dealers are not there to help you, they are there to make money. Sometimes they'll do what they're supposed to do, if you're lucky. Wear them down. Personally I would go to a different dealer for a better deal, wear them down and not even mention trade-in. Then once you're pleased with price, introduce the trade in and wear them down some more. This is how the best negotiators did it when my dad was a Mercedes salesman and it infuriated him, but if they want the sale, sales managers will buckle, every time.

I have had mine for 6 months but I am leasing it for 36 months. Financing a first year (nonetheless FCA-built Alfa Romeo) car 72 months out would scare me coming out of something as normal and predictable as a Chevy or VW product. I drove a Range Rover before mine so I graduated from the school of unpredictability and unreliability. I am beyond thrilled I have a brand new car with a warranty. Speaking on behalf of many on this forum, the dealer network is among biggest complaints. If you can stay within mileage limits, see what you can do for a lease.

Lastly, I would never buy a car the owner has been driving around/demo. But that's just preference

I hope you can join the Giulia family, but I also hope you are happy with your experience and don't feel any regret once you have the car. I love mine and enjoy driving it every day, currently have about 5800 miles on it.

I hope I am helping
Max

1 - 15 of 15 Posts