Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing a vibration at highway speeds (70-80mph) in my 2018 QV that sounds to me like a driveshaft vibration. It's at some harmonic since it varies in intensity at a very low frequency. It reminds me of the vibrations that occur in the old alfetta based driveshafts (with Guibos).
It could be that it's the tires since I had the dealer swap them to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ before delivery. Perhaps they weren't balanced properly?
It's also possible that I'm being too sensitive. It's not silky smooth like my BMW.
Anybody else notice something similar?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm noticing a vibration at highway speeds (70-80mph) in my 2018 QV that sounds to me like a driveshaft vibration. It's at some harmonic since it varies in intensity at a very low frequency. It reminds me of the vibrations that occur in the old alfetta based driveshafts (with Guibos).
It could be that it's the tires since I had the dealer swap them to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ before delivery. Perhaps they weren't balanced properly?
It's also possible that I'm being too sensitive. It's not silky smooth like my BMW.
Probably.

Have zero issues and yes I'd check tires.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
Did your dealer perform "road force balancing?" This is important with low profile tires in order to get them to roll smoothly according to tirerack.

Road force balancing compensates for imperfections in the tire rubber that cause the tire/wheel assembly to balance slightly differently when a load is applied to the tread.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did your dealer perform "road force balancing?" This is important with low profile tires in order to get them to roll smoothly according to tirerack.

Road force balancing compensates for imperfections in the tire rubber that cause the tire/wheel assembly to balance slightly differently when a load is applied to the tread.
I checked and they said no, they did not do road force balancing. They said they only do that for diagnosis of a vibration, not as normal routine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I checked and they said no, they did not do road force balancing. They said they only do that for diagnosis of a vibration, not as normal routine.
Well seems like you have a vibration...so good excuse to do it now.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well seems like you have a vibration...so good excuse to do it now.
Yup. The dealer that installed the tires is many, many miles away so I'll have to find a local place to do it. Having too much fun driving it to bring it in though :wink2:

Reactions: ATXQUAD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Vibration

Yup. The dealer that installed the tires is many, many miles away so I'll have to find a local place to do it. Having too much fun driving it to bring it in though :wink2:
There's also a bad batch of fluid filled motor mounts out there that is causing some vibration in the occupant cabin. There is a Star Case opened up for the issue took the dealer here in Denver several weeks of investigation to figure it out.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's also a bad batch of fluid filled motor mounts out there that is causing some vibration in the occupant cabin. There is a Star Case opened up for the issue took the dealer here in Denver several weeks of investigation to figure it out.
Is that for QV or 4cyl engine?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there, did you ever figure out what was the issue? I have a stelvio thats doing the exact same thing
I had the road force balancing done and that made it mostly better. Then when I switched back to the stock Corsa tires, I stopped noticing the vibration.

Reactions: Alfissimo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Read all of the posts.. trying to see if its something similar to my car. Did you steering wheel vibrate alot? My stelvio steering wheel starts to vibrate excessively between 65-80mph. I had the tires swapped out and they told me they balanced it. Not sure if they road force balancing done but the issue remains

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Read all of the posts.. trying to see if its something similar to my car. Did you steering wheel vibrate alot? My stelvio steering wheel starts to vibrate excessively between 65-80mph. I had the tires swapped out and they told me they balanced it. Not sure if they road force balancing done but the issue remains
No, my steering wheel did not vibrate. I could feel it more in the seat.

Reactions: genyosai

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hi. I have a similar problem. Did you solve it? I am going tomorrow to the dealer...

·
Vendor
3,724 Posts
Anyone find out if both engines are using the same motor mounts.
Q2 and Quad are the same mounts.

But uses different mounts elsewhere.

CodeDescriptionCompat.M.QtyN.C.Col.R.

CodeDescriptionCompat.M.QtyN.C.Col.R.
PADTTRWD1
PADTTRWD1
50534037​
NUT2
50534099​
SCREW6

CodeDescriptionCompat.Modif.QtyN.C.Col.R.

CodeDescriptionV.Modif.QtyN.C.Col.R.
CodeDescriptionV.Modif.QtyN.C.Col.R.
670051095​
SUPPORT, RIGHT 1
670051309​
SUPPORT, LEFT

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi. I have a similar problem. Did you solve it? I am going tomorrow to the dealer...
Mine turned out to be tire imbalance. I needed a road-force balance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Almost sounds like what some of us other QV owners have been noticing. I never considered it might be related to motor mounts at such low mileages. You may want to read this thread. No solutions here but maybe we can all agree we’re having similar issues and try and get Alfa to fix it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also had a bad motor mount which could have been contributing to the problem. It was also causing a clunk under certain conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
I'm going to guess that the OP put too many miles on the improperly balanced tires, resulting in uneven wear and making them impossible to balance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts