Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Reception for AM/FM Radio - Antenna Issue?

Greetings all!

I bought an Alfa Romeo with the expectation that I would have a luxury brand experience, so far it has been anything but…

I have a newly-bought 2017 Giulia sedan, and ever since I have had this problem with AM/FM reception for the past 5 months. I believe I am hearing two radio stations at the same time, along with some background static white noise VERY SCRATCHY…

I have had a Lexus and BMW previously and the reception has always been perfect for me, including my cellphone wireless for the area where I live in Mount Kisco, New York…

I have recorded videos on the issue, the links are below. Please tell me what you think!

(links removed by moderator, you'll need 10 posts before you can do links)

I KNOW this is an antenna issue and not a stereo issue, because when I directly connect my iPod to my Giulia’s stereo the stereo itself sounds perfectly fine. It is clear and beautiful and is the best stereo system I’ve ever had in a car…

Attempted Solutions:
1. Replace the Stereo with a Sirius-XM-compatible Stereo system. I even offered to pay for part of the upgrade… I was told by the dealership it cannot be done… Why can’t it be done? WHY?
2. My original car dealership cannot help me and claim that it is simply receiving poor reception….and left it at that. No offer for replacement of any parts or straight-up repairs. Nothing…. I brought it in twice without attaining any results whatsoever. They don’t know how to fix my car!
3. Alfa Romeo Premium Care has even offered me a $200 detailing credit, which doesn’t address my main issue — fixing my car! On top of that, I never could reach the manager himself to speak with over the phone…. The associate even recommended I go to BestBuy for an aftermarket third-party device to augment my AM/FM Radio system in order to attain better reception! How does the phrase “third party device” get mixed into a LUXURY BRAND EXPERIENCE? I don’t get it.

Pending Solution:
1. Trade-in and Buy a New Car.

FAQ
1. How can I get this fixed?
2. If there is anyone else who also lives in my area in Mount Kisco, New York — as a Giulia (preferably 2017 and/or 2018) and can comment on my situation? How is the reception in your car for you? Do you have the same problem as me? I would like to know whether or not this issue is specific to my car alone or the model car or year model of the car itself… Or maybe the antenna for my Giulia 2017 just sucks to begin with, despite it being advertised as part of a luxury car brand, compared to Lexus or BMW or Mercedes… What did you do to fix this problem yourself? Or do you not have the same problem at all…?

I really want to get down to the bottom of this. Any information you can provide will be of great help to me.

Right now I cannot recommend this car to ANYBODY, because of this persistent issue…

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
I do not have a problem with radio reception. I believe the issue is with your dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
@TimAlfaRomeo
"Right now I cannot recommend this car to ANYBODY, because of this persistent issue…"

That's a bit harsh, I think.

Your dealer is ultimately responsible to resolve this issue. ....sit on them.

Don't let this minor issue distract you from enjoying the pure driving pleasure the Alfa provides, as opposed to the BMW or the Lexus

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
Have you tried disabling HD reception? Did your prior vehicles have HD radio? What you describe sounds like the radio is switching back and forth between HD and analog radio, a common problem that drives me to disable HD in my vehicles.

XM reception requires and additional antenna and wiring, it is not simply a swap of the head unit.

Giulia is a sport sedan with some luxury features, unlike the others which are luxury sedans with some sporty behaviors.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Who was your Dealer???

As was mentioned you have a dealer problem...first and foremost.
As you are in Westchester, only Alfa dealer here is in Larchmont...and if that is the case I suggest you get yourself to Miller Motors.
Yours (reception issue) is the first I have heard on the forum, people have had issues with the AMP (due to water infiltration), connectivity issues w/phones, i-phones...but haven't heard about bad radio reception, so I don't have a clue as to where to direct you other than from what you describe, your dealer is not up to snuff here.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you are hearing more than one station and other static and not getting clean reception I would first turn off the HD feature. If the issue continues it is not likely the antenna its self, more likely the connection between the receiver and the antenna since it sounds like you are having issues with both AM and FM stations. (in which case turning off HD would not help. If it not a coonection issue to the antenna it would be both the AM and FM receivers in the head unit. You would still get good audio from any other source.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Poor Reception for AM/FM Radio - Antenna Issue?

Greetings all!

I bought an Alfa Romeo with the expectation that I would have a luxury brand experience, so far it has been anything but…

I have a newly-bought 2017 Giulia sedan, and ever since I have had this problem with AM/FM reception for the past 5 months. I believe I am hearing two radio stations at the same time, along with some background static white noise VERY SCRATCHY…

I have had a Lexus and BMW previously and the reception has always been perfect for me, including my cellphone wireless for the area where I live in Mount Kisco, New York…

I have recorded videos on the issue, the links are below. Please tell me what you think!

(links removed by moderator, you'll need 10 posts before you can do links)

I KNOW this is an antenna issue and not a stereo issue, because when I directly connect my iPod to my Giulia’s stereo the stereo itself sounds perfectly fine. It is clear and beautiful and is the best stereo system I’ve ever had in a car…

Attempted Solutions:
1. Replace the Stereo with a Sirius-XM-compatible Stereo system. I even offered to pay for part of the upgrade… I was told by the dealership it cannot be done… Why can’t it be done? WHY?
2. My original car dealership cannot help me and claim that it is simply receiving poor reception….and left it at that. No offer for replacement of any parts or straight-up repairs. Nothing…. I brought it in twice without attaining any results whatsoever. They don’t know how to fix my car!
3. Alfa Romeo Premium Care has even offered me a $200 detailing credit, which doesn’t address my main issue — fixing my car! On top of that, I never could reach the manager himself to speak with over the phone…. The associate even recommended I go to BestBuy for an aftermarket third-party device to augment my AM/FM Radio system in order to attain better reception! How does the phrase “third party device” get mixed into a LUXURY BRAND EXPERIENCE? I don’t get it.

Pending Solution:
1. Trade-in and Buy a New Car.

FAQ
1. How can I get this fixed?
2. If there is anyone else who also lives in my area in Mount Kisco, New York — as a Giulia (preferably 2017 and/or 2018) and can comment on my situation? How is the reception in your car for you? Do you have the same problem as me? I would like to know whether or not this issue is specific to my car alone or the model car or year model of the car itself… Or maybe the antenna for my Giulia 2017 just sucks to begin with, despite it being advertised as part of a luxury car brand, compared to Lexus or BMW or Mercedes… What did you do to fix this problem yourself? Or do you not have the same problem at all…?

I really want to get down to the bottom of this. Any information you can provide will be of great help to me.

Right now I cannot recommend this car to ANYBODY, because of this persistent issue…

Thanks a lot!
I have the same issue with my 2017 gulia. I have replaced the antenna amplifier twice. At one point they said it was the connection to the antenna got melted when the window tinting was installed. They fixed that and it did improve for a while. Weird thing is it works great on some stations and terrible on others. Also if you change the channel to one that works and then back to the one that didn’t work the one that didn’t work works. Please let me know if you’ve had any luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are hearing more than one station and other static and not getting clean reception I would first turn off the HD feature. If the issue continues it is not likely the antenna its self, more likely the connection between the receiver and the antenna since it sounds like you are having issues with both AM and FM stations. (in which case turning off HD would not help. If it not a coonection issue to the antenna it would be both the AM and FM receivers in the head unit. You would still get good audio from any other source.
I did that. Didn’t help

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2017 gulia. I have replaced the antenna amplifier twice. At one point they said it was the connection to the antenna got melted when the window tinting was installed. They fixed that and it did improve for a while. Weird thing is it works great on some stations and terrible on others. Also if you change the channel to one that works and then back to the one that didn’t work the one that didn’t work works. Please let me know if you’ve had any luck
I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on a reply - that was his one and only post in 3 years. Haven’t seen any other posts reporting a similar issue. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you. I really do have a bad problem with FM reception. AM doesn’t work at all. They will try again next Wednesday to get to the bottom of it. Other than that my car has been perfect and I love it

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
My wife's 2020 Stelvio has terrible AM reception while my 2020 Giulia's is very good. I wonder what the reason for the difference is.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
What’s AM?
Among other things, a reliable lightning detector.

We listen to the news and appreciate detailed local weather and traffic reports.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
get car scanned for errors - there would be errors if there are problems with aerials
Another trip to the shitty dealer. Sigh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts