Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
So a question for @[email protected]. Looking at temporary meth injection on a QV. This may be a stretch but I know BMW guys have done this with some success. How much success long term idk. So is it possible to run a jb4 piggyback on top of ecu tune only to control a meth injection kit?? Instead of dyno tune ecu for meth? It’s a big hassle to take car to tuner and is just not something I’m gonna do. Too much time and energy for a QV.
The idea that it can be basically reversible is intriguing. So run a jb4 with meth kit and then pull meth kit and jb4 if necessary. Or does the tuner need to adjust ecu to be compatible with jb4? Thinking of ways to basically run a meth kit temporarily or intermittently at times. would consider leaving it full time if fail safe is available on jb4. Not going e85 route since it’s still not readily available on long trips and if I’m gonna be a slave to my fuel gauge I’ll just buy a Tesla.

·
Vendor
202 Posts
Yes the JB4 is compatible with the flash map or any aftermarket flash map you want to run. The JB4 can handle the required WMI adjustment and meter/control the WMI flow.

You could also use the JB4 to make the tuning more aggresesive ONLY when you have E85 handy. With the map changes on your phone makes switching performance profiles really easy.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yes the JB4 is compatible with the flash map or any aftermarket flash map you want to run. The JB4 can handle the required WMI adjustment and meter/control the WMI flow.

You could also use the JB4 to make the tuning more aggresesive ONLY when you have E85 handy. With the map changes on your phone makes switching performance profiles really easy.
interesting. Thank you. I’ll talk to my guy and see if he's on board

·
Registered
551 Posts
Did you play with the fine tuning in the seletron box? Or was it left at default? That was not mentioned. For those that do not know, the boxes come with a fine tuning/power adjustment inside each box. Default is level 5. This is why it shows a "+" in front of the HP and TQ specs.

+58hp and +72Nm torque. When adjustments to a higher power level are made, a lot more Hp/Tq is produced.
Sorry for the very late reply here, but I'm 95% sure my Seletron boxes didn't have any adjustments available. Perhaps they added that in after I had them? There was no mention of any adjustments in the literature or in my communication with the dealer I got them from. Perhaps I would have kept them if I could have cranked them up ?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Also would like to hear feedback on the need to also replace the OEM boost bypass solenoids if any form of tune is done, as there are some posts about this in a separate thread. If hard parts have to be swapped that changes the situation a bit if you want to be able to maintain powertrain warranty.
I would throw codes when I really got on it after installing the Madness MPP, so I replaced the boost bypass solenoids with the GFB aftermarkets a few months back. Not a single code since then, and I've tried.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JB4 for the QV not even close! CANbus access, multiple maps, and with CANbus access I can see them developing a way for us to open the flaps like they do with the BMW's as well! Terry has even hinted! I use 93 octane and use map 2 and the car is night and day! I'll take the 50 plus HP to the wheels on a real dyno!
I have one on my 2018 Audi S6 and pretty much every car I've owned lol.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
241 Posts
JB4 for the QV not even close! CANbus access, multiple maps, and with CANbus access I can see them developing a way for us to open the flaps like they do with the BMW's as well! Terry has even hinted! I use 93 octane and use map 2 and the car is night and day! I'll take the 50 plus HP to the wheels on a real dyno!
I have one on my 2018 Audi S6 and pretty much every car I've owned lol.

When will the product be moved from Beta level to a final spec?

·
Vendor
202 Posts
When will the product be moved from Beta level to a final spec?
We usually leave the BETA on there a few months to let users know to expect firmware updates. No hardware changes are planned but if there were any they'd be provided free of charge.

We've gotten around 20-30 systems out recently so hope to start to see more happy JB4 QV posts on this forum. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I run this tune now and later add a high flow cat or an aftermarket exhaust/high flow cat, will the JB4 adjust for the higher exhaust flow rates? Already have a Sprint air filter installed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ran the latest update JB4 firmware on track recently, about 60 minutes of total hot lap time during the day and it all went very smoothly. The latest update feels like it makes a bit more power and may have smoother delivery as well.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The renowed Dutch tuner Stephan has written an article on tuning the QF with a view to NOT increasing max power BUT to improve torque delivery (remove limitation) and driveability including switching off cylinder de-activation. He is developing a tune on top this package as well. I think it sounds very interesting and pretty much sums up my QF test drive and why I felt my tune 2.0 felt more sprightly low down compared to the QF as if the torque was being held back. Use google translate.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tune to increase low end torque and turn off cylinder deactivation but not increase peak power? Unless it comes at a massive cost discount what is the point of that when its the same amount of work to the end user to get a tune that does that AND increases peak power?

·
Registered
260 Posts
which likely means that next they'll have a tune that does both - that said, I'm way more interested in the comment that they no longer have to pull the computers, only the harness. 15 minutes instead of 2-3hrs... As much as I'd love more power, I'd equally love the removed (or at least reduced) torque limits in D mode. (but I want both...)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Guys if you read the article Stephan has said he is now working on the "Massimo" tune to increase power which will include the current Medio recalibration of torque delivery and driveability. All their tunes are dyno developed and quite thorough. The medio recalibration is only about 500 euros which is not much for including exhaust flap opening change as well.

·
Vendor
2,052 Posts
The renowed Dutch tuner Stephan has written an article on tuning the QF with a view to NOT increasing max power BUT to improve torque delivery (remove limitation) and driveability including switching off cylinder de-activation. He is developing a tune on top this package as well. I think it sounds very interesting and pretty much sums up my QF test drive and why I felt my tune 2.0 felt more sprightly low down compared to the QF as if the torque was being held back. Use google translate.

Squadra is the best around, I have exclusively sold their products for 21 years for a reason. I cannot say enough good things about Stephan. As far as flash tunes, at this point ST is all we will offer. I know from the many years of tuning with them that their tunes are not the highest numbers you want to see but what he does is noted above, he makes the car more powerful "BUT to improve torque delivery (remove limitation) and driveability including switching off cylinder de-activation." This is exactly right. The most HP and TQ is not the answer both with the 2.0L and 2.9L if it is, it's not done well. ST has spent many years on the Qv and similar time on the 2.0L. They did not have a QV for awhile, that's one reason it has taken more time.

"All their tunes are dyno developed and quite thorough" This is correct. Very Very thorough. I am not sure many will go to the lengths they do and put as much thought/experience into it.
Many of your warranties will be up soon and in my opinion this is it. They are also the most transparent tuner I know. They will loose money compared to others who fluff numbers but they rather be ethical to their customers. On the 2.0L they know very little can be achieved tuning that motor just from Flashing and even less from piggybacks.

Many things are changed and unchanged with the tune.

• Unchanged rev limiter
  • Improved cold running properties
  • Cylinder shutdown turned off
  • Start / stop disabled
  • Torque increase in A position
  • Torque limitation in N and D removed
  • Throttle response in A, N, D and Race made much more dosable
  • Changed exhaust valves open / close strategy

We are working on a solution for both engines to make these flashes easier to obtain. Regardless I take care of the entire process for our customers and any sort of wait time will well be worth it.

ECU Tune- Squadra will be it.
Piggyback-? (take your pick they are all essentially similar and limited). Squadra is not enthusiastic about them, any of them and one reason why they do not offer anything of the sort.

Offering Forum Discounts on all tunes from Squadra. 2.0L (some fine tuning on this one still is needed), 2.9L and 4C.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts