Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering an Alfa for my next car. Like the Bimmers but a $57K car should not rattle like a bucket of Legos.

The Alfa really interests me as a car company on a mission.

Any former BMW drivers who have made the leap? I'd love to hear what you think.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome! we won't shame you, many have respect for other brands rather than a 'them and us' and some here own Beemers too. Three of us just drove a BMW event at the weekend and felt very welcome too :D

which Giulia are you after?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well, I have a BMW Z4 M Coupe. I love it. It was "fast" when it was new, but 11 years later it's now as fast as my wife's Jaguar F-Pace and with the Kia Stinger GT running to 60 in about the same time....it was time to get something faster. I will keep the Z4 M forever for sentimental reasons. I had cancer when I was 18. My parents let me order the car when I started Chemo. 6 months later the car was made and chemo was done. No shame in owning a BMW.

That said. I like BMWs and considered the M3 for obvious reasons. But the new ones don't have the soul/feel of the earlier M's or the Alfa. Yet, while the Giulia and 3/4 series are similar, they are different in many ways. The Alfa evokes more emotion in my opinion.

Plus the M3 will not have the rarity factor the Alfa does.

At the end of the day, it's down to personal preference. Buy what you like, not what others tell you to. If the BMW is the one your prefer to drive, then that's the one for you. I cheated...one of each.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome! we won't shame you, many have respect for other brands rather than a 'them and us' and some here own Beemers too. Three of us just drove a BMW event at the weekend and felt very welcome too

which Giulia are you after?
Probably the Ti. I'd really love a diesel (both of my Bimmers have been oil-burners and I'm hooked) but my understanding is they aren't available in the US.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Owned and loved driving two E46's last one was a ZHP which although not an M was awesome and hard to part with.
When I was looking for a replacement I started thinking it was going to be another BMW but the new ones have taken all the joy out of driving from my point of view. They didn't have a non M that was as good as my E46 ZHP, which why I started looking at alternatives. The Giulia won me over on the test drive despite being an auto which I thought I would never own. It's a fun car, its a car that just begs you to GO and has a disturbing trick of making you think you are traveling 15 mph slower than you really are.
Whatever you do don't test drive one unless you are ready to buy because you will have to have one.

And welcome to the Giulia forum.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi and welcome! I currently own a 2011 M3 coupe. I traded a 2005 335i for it. The M is hands down the best car I've owned. I love it. I have two daughters 13 & 10, and really want 4 doors. I tried to like current BMWs and can't. They took a wrong turn for me with the latest 3 series. I've never warmed up to AMG, and the only two cars for me were ATS V and Quadrifoglio. I have a 2018 on order, and if my wife and kids won't notice, I'm gonna try to keep the M! I was able to gently test drive the Quad, and more aggressively drive a Ti. Loved em both.

Having said that, the resident M master here should weigh in (Mdriver) as he has experienced these cars on track and road.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The equipment level is BMW par for lower cost (in my opinion), but the electronics are a little less developed and prone to some complaint. I always found BMW to be a bit sparse inside, kinda monastic...but the move over the last two decades seems to have been toward the MB "luxury" side rather than retaining the "Driving Machine" brand cache.

Expect some (minor?) bother...I currently hate the seatbelt retractors with great vigor...but a sublime driving experience. It was akin to driving a 3-series on the early 90's after driving American metal and testing out a Lexus SC. I was hooked by the driving experience, as you will be if you test drive a Giulia. You have been warned.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Alfa_Fan,

I had 2 BMW's, a 1995 M3 and a 1997 540i 6-speed. I have always liked BMW's, but I can't say I like the driving feel of the ones in the last 7-10 years too much. The steering on the new M3\M4 feels distant and without feeling, it is nowhere close to the Alfa QV or even the Giulia non-QV variants. The Giulia just handles better to me overall. The QV also has the ability to accelerate unbelievably, I got mine in April 2017, I haven't regretted it a single day ...... I still like BMW's, I just like the Alfa better .....

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have not made the leap. I'm in a 2011 F07 and had a 2004 E46 (which I loved but had to go bigger for family). Looking at at F32 right now (430xi Gran Coupe) but it's leaving me cold. So now it's down to the Giulia and an A5 sportback. The major two reasons the Giulia is in the picture are the test drive (ton of fun...fabulous handling) and the price point is somewhat lower than the alternatives. I am constantly scanning this board for owner praises and complaints. I don't punch in the QV price category otherwise I'd have been in that already.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm not a BMW expert but I have owned 2. The first a 2005 545 that I bought used. It was a good car - very smooth and comfortable. The fantastic torque of the V8 is impressive at first, but after a while it just wasn't that fun to drive. The 2nd is my current daily driver, a 2016 m235i. It's also a good car - fast, handles well and has lots of gadgets and creature comforts. It can be fun to drive under the right conditions, but it doesn't really urge you to drive fast nor is it really engaging. It does what you ask but doesn't ask for more.

Neither one has been trouble free. The 545 had the engine replaced by the previous owner and when I owned it the heater fan would squeal. The 235 had the transmission replaced at 15K miles. Neither one left me stranded however.

I'm looking forward to getting my QV that is on order. I expect that there will be a couple issues - I'm not worried about that. I am worried about the dealer service experience however...

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
149 Posts
Alfa_Fan: Are you in Hampton Roads (757 area code)?

I'm an ex BMW owner and can take you for a ride in the Quadrifoglio.

Steve

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
@alfa_Fan...take the plunge...be not afraid :)
as my moniker suggests I have enjoyed BMWs for close to 30 years...and in that time I always had some "other marque" in the garage in addition....
this is the first time that I actually don't miss BMW....the Quadrifoglio reminds me very much of my earlier M cars which were sublime in appearance...and exceptional in their driving dynamics....my last M (F80 M3) while very competent did not give me that feel....purely subjective before anyone gets their panties twisted....
I still have 2 M cars in my garage because for me they are/were the best representations of the letter "M".
Best of Luck to You.
M

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Probably the Ti. I'd really love a diesel (both of my Bimmers have been oil-burners and I'm hooked) but my understanding is they aren't available in the US.
Welcome :)

I've never owned a BMW, but I do own a 2017 Giulia Ti Q2. The 'Q2' indicates that it has a limited slip differential. I had to special order the car to get that, but now Q2s are showing up at the dealers.

My wife and I put 10,000 miles on our Ti in just about six weeks without issue. A great highway car, excellent in the canyons a terrific daily driver around town.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
M stands for Marketing

The problem with M is that it now stands for "Marketing" and they throw it on every conceivable model they make (which is too many to begin with but that's another diatribe for another thread)....

Reactions: alfa55

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The M2 is as close as you can get to the M's of the Glory Days. If not for Alfa Romeo bringing the Giulia to these shores, I probably would be on an "M" forum now.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
The M2 is as close as you can get to the M's of the Glory Days. If not for Alfa Romeo bringing the Giulia to these shores, I probably would be on an "M" forum now.
the M2 is a very capable car...for my $$$ I liked it better than the M4ZCP and I drove them back to back at MMC....
I am waiting to see how the CS rendition plays out....

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The Quad will make you update your favorite alphabet letter.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
The Quad will make you update your favorite alphabet letter.
I've had my QV for almost a year now....it is a great great car...even with the issue I had at the very beginning...
but after almost 30 years of M cars....I'm still a big fan of the older iron:grin2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts