Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So I'm almost a month in to owning my 2018 Giulia Ti Sport and fall more in love with it every day. I'm now starting to play around with things since I'm past the break-in period. I went and bought the Veepeak ODB Bluetooth adapter that plugs in to the ODB diagnostic port of the car. I also downloaded an app on my iphone called ODB Fusion. The main reason I wanted to do this is because I really want to understand as much as possible how my car runs and how it's supposed to run. So far I've done some research and from what I've found, our boost at full throttle is supposed to be 22 psi but without any gauges, how are we supposed to know? This app provides a boost gauge that is very accurate from some late night testing on the highway >:) Another thing I wanted to see was engine temp since the cluster in our cars only provides oil temp. Take a look at the very basic dashboard of gauges I've configured so far. As I just got all this yesterday, I have a lot more learning to do but I'm having a blast.

I should mention that this shows all live data while driving. I got a nice dashboard mount and keep my phone in it horizontally right above the main infotainment screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Cool. I've been wondering about boost too.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Seems like another driving distraction no matter where it's mounted.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have this same tool but have yet to plug it in. Might just have to give that app a try. I’ve been curious about levels of boost in the various dna modes so it will be fun to play around with.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
For the 2018s, when we get the ACP-AA firmware installed, will we be able to display this on the Infotainment Screen?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the 2018s, when we get the ACP-AA firmware installed, will we be able to display this on the Infotainment Screen?
That's a good question. Seems like most of the third party apps that are ACP compatible are all streaming related such as Pandora, Spotify, Audible, etc... I don't know what it takes to make a third party app for ACP but I would hope that something like ODB Fusion will become one at some point.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have an Elm OBD reader with Wi-Fi from VGate (everyone uses the Elm chip). Why Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth? Bluetooth can have latency plus I use my phone's Bluetooth already for hands free phone calls. I chose this model because it was small and I liked the color, plus it seemed to have the V2.0 software, although the Giulia is not listed as a supported vehicle, though you can manually add details to make some of the features more accurate (like power and torque). But it works great. I have the Dash Command App for iPhone which has options for different gauge layouts. This is good because the default one looks a little lame. I'm using the Dark Knight gauge graphic which I had to download separately. Looks good but DK only works in landscape mode - graphics get squished in portrait orientation.

I have only played with it a little bit, but it is a total distraction. When you want to look at it is when the car is being driven aggressively, but those are times when you're too busy to look. There is a data logging feature, but I haven't totally figured that out yet.

Most of the items displayed are already present in the Alfa gauge cluster, but things like coolant temperature, boost, timing advance, intake temperature, along with power and torque estimates are nice to see. Not all gauges have data showing, but I forget which ones. Plus it reads and clears codes, though thankfully I haven't needed to test this feature (yet).

Reactions: AustinJRod

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it would be interesting to compare timing and boost using "best" gas and
"allowable", as the timing should retard and maximum boost reduce to compensate.
regular gas might be a good choice for commuters worried about excessive horepower/fishtailing/inadvertent donuts etc

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
it would be interesting to compare timing and boost using "best" gas and
"allowable", as the timing should retard and maximum boost reduce to compensate.
regular gas might be a good choice for commuters worried about excessive horepower/fishtailing/inadvertent donuts etc
I would like to add:
Saving $.60 a gallon.
I have over 200,000 miles on my 530i using 87octane in the place of the recommended 91. I have never heard any pre-ignition or pinging under heavy load, I average 23-24mpg, spark plugs last 60K.
Of course, the high boost turbo engine may react differently.
I too would like to see a graphed comparison of the several data points, between using 87 and 91 (or greater).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
yeah, you shouldn't encounter any issues - other than not getting maximum performance.
right there in the bmw manual.
on many cars that might be an issue, on this one I think it would rarely be an issue for most.
of course it may still be noticeably more entertaining during typical use, more snappy response etc
I'd love to see the dyno curves on differing grades.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd love to see the dyno curves on differing grades.

A single comparison dyno test won’t tell you much if test conditions are light loads and cool ambient temps. The difference between 91 and 87 octane is going to be most noticeable under high loads and high ambient temps nearest sea level as the ignition system has to retard timing to avoid pre-detonation. The ECU is incredibly complex and is constantly adjusting fuel delivery and ignition parameters in real time on a per cylinder basis.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I too would like to see a graphed comparison of the several data points, between using 87 and 91 (or greater).

I’m sure Alfa has done this during development. But to get all the data you’d need to make such a comparison, you’d need to do a design of experiments and stick an engine inside a dyno cell within a climatic chamber and run all the various test iterations across all the variables per the design of experiments and then do the analysis to reconcile the data. I imagine it would take at least a month (if not several months) assuming you were running 24 hours a day and you had no test program delays.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's a good question. Seems like most of the third party apps that are ACP compatible are all streaming related such as Pandora, Spotify, Audible, etc... I don't know what it takes to make a third party app for ACP but I would hope that something like ODB Fusion will become one at some point.
I have another thread about this for Android Auto. I do have gauges on my cars screen. It would be less likely that this will be as easy for apple side of things.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
Do any of these apps record the values and allow replay/graphing afterwards? I would think that would be more useful than trying to catch a glimpse of the reading while driving.

Some CAN bus/OBD values may have significant lag and inaccuracy. Stuff that the ECU needs are mostly direct input to the ECU and put on the bus when it gets around to it. It might be valuable to compare readings with direct, known accurate instrumentation.

I am very curious if max boost increases with altitude and by how much. 14.7 psi at sea level to 10.3 psia at the 9600' peak elevation of my favorite road; ideally max boost would increase by 4.4psi at the high altitude. At some point the turbo cannot produce more boost.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts