Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went ahead and blacked it out rather than debadging it. Not too bad an outcome for my first attempt.

Edit: Those picture posted spectactularily badly...sorry about that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Looks great. You did it while it was on the car? I was thinking of vinyl wrap in matte black because I want to get the nose done in a clear bra.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks really good! I'm unfamiliar with Plastidip. Does it just peel off the car paint that it oversprays? Did you have to use a razor blade?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes it will peel off of most surfaces, including painted surfaces. I DO NOT recommend using a razor blade ever on painted surfaces. I have never used the plasti dip, I have seen it done before in a detail shop. When I approached this subject of black badges on my car with my local detail shop, they recommended buying a new Giulia badge and having it painted and clear coated and replacing it with the existing one.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Google "plastidip emblems" and it looks easy...it isn't much harder in reality. NEVER plastidip within 12-24 hours of washing your car.

Steps:

1) Use a barely damp q-tip or similar item to give a final clean to the letters. I also followed with a microfiber cloth. There can be NO water/fluid or the plastidip will not bond.

2) Tape off the area around the letters, leaving the masked area about 1" from the letters. Then it is best to drape the surrounding areas, though the plastidip will literally wipe off.

3) Spray a tack coat of plastidip, using an even stroke and steady motion. This should be just noticeable and not really cover that much of the shiny plastic.

4) Return for coats 2 through 7. Coat 2 I did normal, straight on, left to right and back. Coat 3 was angled from the left, 4 was angled from the right, 5 from the top, 6 from the bottom and coat 7 was again straight on. All coats were coverage till wet, but not enough to cause runs/drips. Even doing this, I had a couple of spots that didn't cover well that I had to touch up.

5) Spraying is at about 6-8", in 80-90 degree temperatures I waited 15 minutes between coats and sprayed in the shade. After each pass, invert the can and spray till it runs clear, otherwise the nozzle will clog and clump on the next spray.

6) Wait 30 minutes after the last coat, then remove the masking.

7) Roll an edge (will have been loosened when you pulled the tape) and pull it gentle but firmly away from the paint, supporting underneath with a finger and he plastidip magically separates from the coated letters.

8) Use a plastic toothpick or similar to catch and lift the areas between the letters, inside the G and inside the A especially. A pair of tweezers is handily for any holdout pieces.

9) Look over the job and if you need to, a spray of the plastidip onto a piece of card can be used with a toothpick to cover small imperfections on the sides of the letters...not sure how that will work out, but we'll see.

This stuff will peel right off when I want to remove it, and is easy to redo. It resists car washing and stuff, but I'll report how well as i find out.

Reactions: Bull and MakeitRain

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'm getting the clear bra and they are blacking out the Giulia and the chrome Q but leaving the red 4. Should look sweet once I get the matte carbon spoiler.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds nice...I just got my TX plates, and it's too much white. Guess it's time to spring for the black plate option...but to take a random combination or choose a message.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Blacked out the badges.... No more chrome...
Looks good, got a wide shot of it? I've been toying with the idea of removing the "Giulia" badge, but the black accents might work better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Black out emblem with the spoiler looks awesome. Can u tell us where u got your spoiler, how much, how well it is made and if it fits well? Sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes I ordered my spoiler from Yomato Carbon out of Canada. It's $486 plus shipping, 100% carbon fiber not wrapped or dipped. I know some folks on this Forum also ordered from SD Carbon out of China on eBay. Check out the thread below it gives all the details and the Pro's and Con's of the different spoilers that are out. Yomato Carbon is a Vendor on this Forum. Fitment was perfect and it looks very close to the OEM Spoiler on the Quadrifoglio. I had a very slight blemish on mine but Yomato took care of me. I do recommend them.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/385-exterior/6257-quad-spoiler-available-ti.html

https://yomatocarbon.com/collections/alfa-romeo-carbon-fiber-solutions

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yes it will peel off of most surfaces, including painted surfaces. I DO NOT recommend using a razor blade ever on painted surfaces. I have never used the plasti dip, I have seen it done before in a detail shop. When I approached this subject of black badges on my car with my local detail shop, they recommended buying a new Giulia badge and having it painted and clear coated and replacing it with the existing one.
Exactly, my guy just ordered a Q4 and Giulia badge to paint satin black for me, leaving the 4 red. The shop that did my bra wouldn't attempt it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Piece of advice... don't skimp on the number of coats. It might be tempting to stop after achieving sufficient coverage, but if applied too thin, the plastidip won't peel off cleanly -- in sheets -- but will rather want to come off one bit at a time, eventually requiring rubbing and maybe even a citrus remover to clean it all off (and good luck with the stuff in the nooks and crannies). Some cautionary videos on YT showing unfortunate results for people who made this mistake on an entire car. I made the mistake too but fortunately for me it was only on a couple small interior trim pieces (not the Giulia) that were easily removed and cleaned when I wanted to return the car to stock before I sold it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Minimum of 6-7 coats.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts