Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved from a state where there was no requirement for a front bumper license plate now I am in a state that requires it. I am picking up my 2018 Giuilia Tuesday and placement of the license plate, in my opinion, on the front bumper will take away from the impressive front presence of the vehicle. For those of you who have faced this situation, what did you do?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome. I think the consensus is either take your chances (so far, my plate is on the dash when I curb park), or buy the Alfa9 mount which goes on the tow connect. I have the Alfa9 mount and have not yet installed it. Others have used cable ties onto the grill.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
How to search the forums

Or, the search tool works... most of the time.
Racer Z,

I have found the search tool difficult to start. Am I missing some "one click" way to get it working or should we add something to the homepage to make it easier?

I currently use this silly sequence:

Start at www.giuliaforums.com
Click on Forums -> Alfa Romeo Giulia Forums -> Alfa Romeo Giulia General Discussion
<swear at delayed ads that tear my mouse focus away from completing the above>
Click on search this forum->Advanced search
Select "Search all Open Forums"
Enter some keywords (good luck guessing good matches)
Click "Search now" button

There has to be an easier way...

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a google powered search box on the right hand side of the webpage which is the easiest and most straight forward way. Enter keywords "license plate" and hit search.

Racer Z,

I have found the search tool difficult to start. Am I missing some "one click" way to get it working or should we add something to the homepage to make it easier?

Click on Forums -> Alfa Romeo Giulia Forums -> Alfa Romeo Giulia General Discussion

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
if you are going to go the tow hook mount, the alfa9 is the way to go.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
65 Posts
I second the Alfa 9 tow hook location, mine is great and keeps the demon hole drillers away from my clean front end.. Use a bit of locktite and place the simple tools you may need one day in the trunk for emergency..

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Racer Z,

Type in keyword and then press enter usually works for me, never had a problem

·
Registered
647 Posts
It is a big help here to list in the signature section the exact model of Giulia that you have and packages, see mine below. Different Giulia's or packages means different answers to many questions.

Most Giulia's have a front parking sensor in the black grille section on the drivers side (US). My does not and I live in a front plate state and decided not to risk the fine. I got tired of placing the plate on my dash and I don't like the tow/plate location. Here is an option if you don't have the front parking sensor.

For long thread on front plate mounting see this link. My plate mount described on page 18.
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/385-exterior/2874-front-license-plate-u-s-cars-18.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Racer Z,

There is a google powered search box on the right hand side of the webpage which is the easiest and most straight forward way. Enter keywords "license plate" and hit search.
What he said :smile2:

I use the Alfa9 Supply tow-hook mount on both my Alfas. It works well and looks about as good as possible. A bit spendy though. It sure beats a ticket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have decided not to put the front plate on the car. The sales person informed me that none of their customers have put it on and they have not been stopped by our friendly Police. However, in case I do get stopped, I will take your advice and purchase an Alpha9. Thank you all for your comments.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I talked to some cops I know and they said usually they won't pull over just for not having a front plate, though it is a REASON to pull you over so there is some risk.

The main reason some states require it is actually for safety when the police approach from the front of the vehicle so they can run the plate and try to identify what situation they are going into. A couple years ago there was legislation in Wisconsin to reduce costs by getting rid of the requirement but many police said it needed to stay as a safety measure. They also use say it helps in identifying drive offs and vehicles in Amber alerts. However those would be the people that would probably not being following such laws.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
9 months...no front plate...don't park on the street....no tickets....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up the car today and I really love it. I bought one extra item from the dealer....winshield protection for $699. Protection is good for 7 years, and up to 5 replacement OEM windshields. Need this in San Antonio, I have a $1000 deductible on my insurance for windshield replacement so this coverage works for me. Just had my windshield replaced on my Mercedes and my out of pocket cost for the OEM was $530.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I talked to some cops I know and they said usually they won't pull over just for not having a front plate, though it is a REASON to pull you over so there is some risk.

The main reason some states require it is actually for safety when the police approach from the front of the vehicle so they can run the plate and try to identify what situation they are going into. A couple years ago there was legislation in Wisconsin to reduce costs by getting rid of the requirement but many police said it needed to stay as a safety measure. They also use say it helps in identifying drive offs and vehicles in Amber alerts. However those would be the people that would probably not being following such laws.
That may have been true twenty years ago, but the times, they are a changing. With all the photo-enforcement we have now, (toll roads, red lights, etc), it's more about the revenue. Around here, we've been getting 'no front plate tickets' while parked. I've read where other cities are doing exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason.

Reactions: Simey
1 - 16 of 16 Posts