Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an opportunity to take my stock 2017 Giulia Ti Sport AWD up Pikes Peak road all the way to the summit today and I have nothing but great things to say. It's not the first time I've pushed the car really hard, but the two hour round trip up to 14k feet was definitely a good all around test for the car. There were a number of sections where traffic was too heavy to do much, but people were really nice to get out of the way most of the time and I was able to really push the car hard going both up and down the mountain. I was very impressed at how the car was able to maintain a strong and consistent power output even in the extreme altitude, and the brakes worked like a charm on the way down. Grip through the hairpins with the stock P7s and AWD was confidence inspiring and more than adequate. Got the tires singing quite a bit, but like I said I never felt any kind of lack of confidence in the traction due to the tires. And for those wondering if altitude affects the auto start/stop, I can confirm that it indeed no longer works at 14,115 feet. And by the time I was back down in Manitou Springs for lunch, it was working again. Lots of turning heads along the way, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I get a kick out of all the attention the car gets. Anyways, just thought I'd share and I definitely recommend anyone try the drive if you ever get the chance, no matter what car you're in. It's a beautiful drive not matter what, but is an amazing, technical drive for anyone with a sports car. The Giulia just never ceases to impress me. A year later and I still have just as much fun now as I did in the original test drive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice! That drive is beautiful and terrifying in spots.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice, sounds like a lot of fun! I'll have to check that out sometime. I wonder how the SPICA in the GTV would do on the way up? It does have a pressure compensator, but 14k feet might be a little outside the bounds of that one. Did you take some pictures at the summit?

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, sounds like a lot of fun! I'll have to check that out sometime. I wonder how the SPICA in the GTV would do on the way up? It does have a pressure compensator, but 14k feet might be a little outside the bounds of that one. Did you take some pictures at the summit?
Unfortunately my phone died once I got to the very top so I used my canon camera up there and still haven't transferred them over yet. But here's some pics I got at the "false summit" at mile marker 16.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice view! Hope you made it up before that long snake of cars!

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I was just thinking if anyone has attempted, especially in a quad. This is because I read somewhere that this year's Pike Peak Hill Climb is pushed to August. This would be a great PR win for a mod-ed Quad if that can be pulled off by anyone.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
???? (double). The extra one is to go there with a Jersey plate ;)

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,385 Posts
Has anyone climbed Mt. Washington in their Giulia?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
It'd be a fun drive. In ancient times, I have taken my E46 convertible. It was a blast.

·
Premium Member
2018 Giulia QF
259 Posts
Has anyone climbed Mt. Washington in their Giulia?
We climbed Mt Washington in our QV just today. Ill post some photos from the top (with an obscene amount of cloud coverage) later and better photos on our descent that shows the landscape (including the car) a lot better.

The car did well. I kept her in automatic to focus on driving rather than shifting on the way up. Engine temp did not creep over 4 notches all the way up and on the way down manual 2nd gear was money. I think I braked a max of 7 times hanging out between speeds of 25 and 35. I did find myself in 4 a few time cruising along during the descent but quickly throttled back speed.

Edit: Had a chance to edit a couple of photos from the trip

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,385 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Is Mt Washington in anyway similar to Pike's Peak? I gather than the elevation change is similar, but Pike's Peak climb starts at over 9000' elevation, much higher than the summit of Mt. Washington.

I have not been to either, just askin.

·
Premium Member
2018 Giulia QF
259 Posts
Is Mt Washington in anyway similar to Pike's Peak? I gather than the elevation change is similar, but Pike's Peak climb starts at over 9000' elevation, much higher than the summit of Mt. Washington.

I have not been to either, just askin.
Mt. Washington is much steeper than pikes peak. Pike's Peak's length is 12.4 miles which is 5 miles longer than Mt. Washington but the elevation of Pike's Peak is only 200' more than Mt. Washington (4700' vs 4500'). Mt. Washington's road width is 20' for most of it but shrinks to about 15' for a mile or so across a dirt section (my least favorite section). Pikes peak has 159 corner (13 corners per mile) while Mt. Washington has 130 corners (18 corners per mile)

I have not done Pike's Peak since I've never travelled to Colorado but I've done Mt. Washington twice. Based on facts they seem like different adventures to me, especially considering the different elevations you mentioned.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Mt. Washington is much steeper than pikes peak. Pike's Peak's length is 12.4 miles which is 5 miles longer than Mt. Washington but the elevation of Pike's Peak is only 200' more than Mt. Washington (4700' vs 4500'). Mt. Washington's road width is 20' for most of it but shrinks to about 15' for a mile or so across a dirt section (my least favorite section). Pikes peak has 159 corner (13 corners per mile) while Mt. Washington has 130 corners (18 corners per mile)

I have not done Pike's Peak since I've never travelled to Colorado but I've done Mt. Washington twice. Based on facts they seem like different adventures to me, especially considering the different elevations you mentioned.
Thanks for the info. I drive Sonora Pass in California frequently. The distance of ~15 miles and elevation change of 2800 feet (6800 to 9600 foot elevation) make it sound gentle by comparison, but the road is actually either very steep or nearly flat. On the eastern side the landscape consists of a series of fault scarps so you drive a long way parallel to the scarp, then hairpin or several and 20-25% grade for a while. Similarly I think Pike's Peak starts out very gentle then gradually becomes very steep. I dunno about Mt Washington.

How are "turns" counted? Is there some minimum degree of direction change or maximum radius before a "not quite straight" section of road becomes a turn?

The 14100 foot summit of Pike's Peak poses challenges like getting any power out of your engine and remaining conscious. Although turbo charged engines reportedly behave better than NA engines at altitude, I find that my max turbo boost drops off in proportion to atmospheric pressure so that my Q4 is losing about the same amount of power as an NA engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts