Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at potentially buying the JB4 tuner for my Quad and just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience/results from one?

Open to other piggy back tuners also.

Another thing I am thinking of is adding water methanol injection kit and getting it custom tuned.

Can anyone chime in with their mods and what they feel is best?

·
Registered
176 Posts
If going w piggyback then the JB4 is the best option due to the assortment of maps and customization (you can use meth/e85 mix) and can bus integration. Better option is a full Ecu tune of course if you want to squeeze all the power available and eliminate the torque reductions in the lower gears.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Looking at potentially buying the JB4 tuner for my Quad and just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience/results from one?

Another thing I am thinking of is adding water methanol injection kit and getting it custom tuned.

currently installing jb4 with snow performance WMI on QV. But ran into a broken thrust bearing on right turbo so it’s now plan B. Ripping out ECU (again)
and turbos and sending to get rebuilt. +4mm wheel. Then adding the WMI and jb4 to control meth only. Then car is done. Is what it is. On to the next one. Anyway the jb4 I’m told has some issues with communication in the second ECU in certain applications. Now I’m not sure what that exactly means but that’s what I was told so I’m a little nervous about the WMI portion. I would make sure you have a failsafe and a back up tune if you are running map 7 for WMI and honestly after going through the headache already I’m not so sure that WMI on this car is even a good idea. And I’m all for mods my friend. Just seems like a rabbit hole. WMI May be small gains like 20whp. Or big gains like 60whp who knows at this point. But I never take a loss. So it’s gonna happen. And I don’t think car will handle much more power than what I’m gonna throw at it so it’s done after this. 700hp is most likely the borderline. 600 whp? Car will never hook lol. Shit I’m already stressing the little 9 fin turbo with 510-520 whp. I Can’t imagine what 11 fin and bigger wheel gonna do. Will keep everyone posted. Turbo getting done early February. Will have dyno results dragy times etc. then on to the C8. I’m done wit this car Madone.

·
Vendor
2,595 Posts

Honestly, I'd go with a true tune over any piggyback. Have a look at our squadra tune If you are willing to take on removing the ECU's, we can bench flash them and send them back. We have two options for tunes. Read over all the adjustments done and how Squadra has tamed this beast to be a better more drivable car with more power and torque. I am fairly certain you won't find a better tune.

Any questions, please let me know?

I also have JB4

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just my opinion: the only reason to do a piggyback is if you want to remove it every time before you take the car into the dealer. That being said, my dealer has denied warranty on several QVs with piggybacks even after they were removed. I dont know the details of exactly how they find out. With that being the case, I see no reason to do a piggyback. JB4 does have a great reputation though and I used one years ago on a BMW without any problems.

IdealRace, Eurocompulsion, Fabspeed and a couple others all sell ECU tunes that all make similar power. About a 75hp gain without any other mods.

Figure around 420whp stock, around 485whp with a tune, maybe 5-10 extra hp and better spool/midrange with downpipes.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I dont know the details of exactly how they find out.
Actual torque valves and boost data (demand + actual) is stored in the PCM and TCM as applicable. This applies to both piggybacks and Tunes.

The PCM also stores flash count, I can see for myself using MES 4.7 Multiplex. My flash counter is currently showing 1 - unmodified.

You will hear a lot of different takes on this, but this is a fact. That is how they actually know, IF they decide to take a look. Some dealers are more relaxed than others but as soon as you hook the car to Witech, Alfa Italy can read the data remotely. If you took the car in for any engine or transmission related warranty work, they can and most likely will interrogate the PCM and TCM. Like @Alfa Philly has repeatedly said, if you are going to do any mods, you must be willing to accept the risk that goes with the turf.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The main reason for going with actual ECU tune vs a piggyback in the OPs case would be the WMI. Yes you can remove a piggyback for dealer service most of the time. But you are not reversing and removing a WMI set up every time for dealer service. I don’t care how slick of a mechanic someone is. Removing a WMI setup would be an absolute PIA. If you are not running the WMI then a piggyback may be easier. Once you go WMI you are well past the point of return. But as far as gains and drive ability an ECU tune will always be better and safer for the cars health.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The transmission on the C8 is a major weakness if you want to modify it and add more hp.
so far I’ve seen a few that seem to be handling power pretty well. Im getting the Zo6 when it finally comes out so that should be a better set up from the stingray. The price of the Alfa to mod and lack of tuners is becoming annoying. At this rate after 5 years it will take another 3 to see normal mainstream tuning. And that’s being optimistic. Plenty of companies claiming this and that but no times. I mean who mods a car and never see how much it’s improved over stock? Anyway I’m done ranting and after these last mods I’m done with anything else in car. She will be what she will be and that’s it. It’s a great car. I’ll give it to my son. I’m sure he will Love it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Actual torque valves and boost data (demand + actual) is stored in the PCM and TCM as applicable. This applies to both piggybacks and Tunes.

The PCM also stores flash count, I can see for myself using MES 4.7 Multiplex. My flash counter is currently showing 1 - unmodified.

You will hear a lot of different takes on this, but this is a fact. That is how they actually know, IF they decide to take a look. Some dealers are more relaxed than others but as soon as you hook the car to Witech, Alfa Italy can read the data remotely. If you took the car in for any engine or transmission related warranty work, they can and most likely will interrogate the PCM and TCM. Like @Alfa Philly has repeatedly said, if you are going to do any mods, you must be willing to accept the risk that goes with the turf.
The boost and torque values appear very slightly lower than stock with a piggy back not higher. Must be something else.

·
Registered
383 Posts
currently installing jb4 with snow performance WMI on QV. But ran into a broken thrust bearing on right turbo so it’s now plan B. Ripping out ECU (again)
and turbos and sending to get rebuilt. +4mm wheel. Then adding the WMI and jb4 to control meth only. Then car is done. Is what it is. On to the next one. Anyway the jb4 I’m told has some issues with communication in the second ECU in certain applications. Now I’m not sure what that exactly means but that’s what I was told so I’m a little nervous about the WMI portion. I would make sure you have a failsafe and a back up tune if you are running map 7 for WMI and honestly after going through the headache already I’m not so sure that WMI on this car is even a good idea. And I’m all for mods my friend. Just seems like a rabbit hole. WMI May be small gains like 20whp. Or big gains like 60whp who knows at this point. But I never take a loss. So it’s gonna happen. And I don’t think car will handle much more power than what I’m gonna throw at it so it’s done after this. 700hp is most likely the borderline. 600 whp? Car will never hook lol. Shit I’m already stressing the little 9 fin turbo with 510-520 whp. I Can’t imagine what 11 fin and bigger wheel gonna do. Will keep everyone posted. Turbo getting done early February. Will have dyno results dragy times etc. then on to the C8. I’m done wit this car Madone.
@Alfa Philly do you have to pull the motor to change the turbos? Thought I remember someone posting that in the past. Looking forward to hearing what performance gains you get.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
@Alfa Philly do you have to pull the motor to change the turbos? Thought I remember someone posting that in the past. Looking forward to hearing what performance gains you get.
yes you do. It’s a motor out operation. One big reason no one is doing anything turbo related on QV. We were doing the belt anyway and installing the WMI so we will be halfway anyway. Looking at 2-3 days to remove everything. A week or so for rebuilds. Then another 2-3 days to install and make her whole. Not something I would recommend for anyone not crazy. But someone gotta do it right?

·
Registered
383 Posts
yes you do. It’s a motor out operation. One big reason no one is doing anything turbo related on QV. We were doing the belt anyway and installing the WMI so we will be halfway anyway. Looking at 2-3 days to remove everything. A week or so for rebuilds. Then another 2-3 days to install and make her whole. Not something I would recommend for anyone not crazy. But someone gotta do it right?
Are you doing the work yourself? If so that’s great. Would be interested to hear about any big snags you hit or special tools you’ll need. Would make a great YouTube series. Good luck! Will be great to see what larger turbo will do.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Are you doing the work yourself? If so that’s great. Would be interested to hear about any big snags you hit or special tools you’ll need. Would make a great YouTube series. Good luck! Will be great to see what larger turbo will do.
I will be helping my friend who is also an Alfa tech and Ferrari tech. So basically he will be doing all the work haha. We will have some videos. But I’m not a big movie producer YouTube guy so just quick instructional videos. Nothing fancy. Goal is 600whp. I think each turbo should gain 40whp. So even without WMI I think we can hit 600. Add in WMI and who knows. At this point it may not need it but I want to be done with car so I am throwing it on and that’s it. I was told By my friend that’s the limit. He wants to be done with car and me lol. He thinks internals are good for 700-750 hp. Trans 650-700 whp. Differential is the weak point. Can almost guarantee I snap another diff. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
383 Posts
I will be helping my friend who is also an Alfa tech and Ferrari tech. So basically he will be doing all the work haha. We will have some videos. But I’m not a big movie producer YouTube guy so just quick instructional videos. Nothing fancy. Goal is 600whp. I think each turbo should gain 40whp. So even without WMI I think we can hit 600. Add in WMI and who knows. At this point it may not need it but I want to be done with car so I am throwing it on and that’s it. I was told By my friend that’s the limit. He wants to be done with car and me lol. He thinks internals are good for 700-750 hp. Trans 650-700 whp. Differential is the weak point. Can almost guarantee I snap another diff. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Nice, I’ll be popping the popcorn when you start releasing videos. Damn, I need a buddy like you have. Lol

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The boost and torque values appear very slightly lower than stock with a piggy back not higher. Must be something else.
I did not state 'higher' just that the values are logged among a lot of other parameters like long term fuel trim and plenty more. The 'different' values will be comparable to the expected which should not too hard for the factory engineers to figure out. But if you remove the piggy back, and as it won't register a flash count, it will harder for them to prove you did have a piggy back and deny warranty. Personally while in warranty, if I wanted a reasonable increase in power, I would just fit a reputed piggy back and remove it every time I need to take it in for maintenance.

Reactions: GottWhat

·
Registered
421 Posts
so far I’ve seen a few that seem to be handling power pretty well. Im getting the Zo6 when it finally comes out so that should be a better set up from the stingray. The price of the Alfa to mod and lack of tuners is becoming annoying. At this rate after 5 years it will take another 3 to see normal mainstream tuning. And that’s being optimistic. Plenty of companies claiming this and that but no times. I mean who mods a car and never see how much it’s improved over stock? Anyway I’m done ranting and after these last mods I’m done with anything else in car. She will be what she will be and that’s it. It’s a great car. I’ll give it to my son. I’m sure he will Love it.
Yea, I'm waiting on the z06 announcement also.

I've had a bunch of Vettes and know most of the aftermarket tuners here in Texas. They're breaking transmissions left and right with any more hp than stock. Not tuner friendly cars, at least the base model.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Yea, I'm waiting on the z06 announcement also.

I've had a bunch of Vettes and know most of the aftermarket tuners here in Texas. They're breaking transmissions left and right with any more hp than stock. Not tuner friendly cars, at least the base model.
LMR is absolutely where I’m sending it when the time comes. They are putting out some serious cars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks for all of the information man. This is what I was looking for. I did buy an extended warranty so I will wait for sure for that to be up before I do the WMI.

The piggy back tuning I was hoping I could get away with as I can easily take it off. But that seems not be the case 100% of the time.

Please keep me updated on how your build goes. I actually canceled my C8 order last week due to buying this car and I am also just gonna wait on the Z06 for my next purchase.

My C8 was about to be here in the next month or so but the dealer gladly let me cancel the order as he was selling it to me for $1000 off of MSRP (and he is a good friend of mine, not like good friend because I do business there but actually a friend who I know outside of the car world.)

I love my Quad so far and tbh I am almost 1k miles into owning it and I am getting like 24 mpg so I am not even riding it hard. I just want to squeeze a bit more power out of it.600 who would be inuts but I would be happy around 510 or so.

Honestly, I'd go with a true tune over any piggyback. Have a look at our squadra tune If you are willing to take on removing the ECU's, we can bench flash them and send them back. We have two options for tunes. Read over all the adjustments done and how Squadra has tamed this beast to be a better more drivable car with more power and torque. I am fairly certain you won't find a better tune.

Any questions, please let me know?

I also have JB4

I reached out to you via messages and we talked a bit.

Check those messages out because I asked you for a price on that Sqadra tune you spoke to me about. Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts