Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This image of the the Giulia Coupe from December's Issue of Quattro Ruote was posted on Alfattitude's instagram stories. Looks great.

Interesting that it does not appear to be a Quatrofoglio version but still has same lower fascia.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
I hope this is a case of a picture not doing justice. I see BMW 2-Series chunkiness, when what I want to see is Ferrari/Maserati cousin sleek and svelte.

IMO, a coupe parked next to the sedan version of the same car should draw the lion's share of attention.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think a coupe should be as different from a 4 door as a GTV is from a Berlina, or Alfetta sport sedan vs Alfetta GT.

just dropping a couple doors doesn't do it for me
Exactly. If they look essentially the same why take the 2 door. I think Alfa should look to their past on this one, and if they make a coupe, it should be different from the 4 door car, not just the same car less two doors.

Greg

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hope this is a case of a picture not doing justice. I see BMW 2-Series chunkiness, when what I want to see is Ferrari/Maserati cousin sleek and svelte.

IMO, a coupe parked next to the sedan version of the same car should draw the lion's share of attention.
Agreed.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I think a coupe should be as different from a 4 door as a GTV is from a Berlina, or Alfetta sport sedan vs Alfetta GT.

I agree 100%, BUT - remember the GTV was a Giugiaro design (while at Bertone) and the Alfetta GT was penned by Giugiaro working as an independent (at his own Italdesign firm). And the Spider was of course styled by PininFarina.

Alfa doesn't have these outside design houses to call on anymore as they are largely all gone... So I fear the Coupe and eventual Spider will have more of a "corporate face" than a unique design.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts

I agree quite a bit. The coupe can share the same chassis but the design should look sportier, sleeker and different than the more "practical, sedate" sedan. There's room for both synergy between models and individuality.

·
Vendor
3,417 Posts
I agree 100%, BUT - remember the GTV was a Giugiaro design (while at Bertone) and the Alfetta GT was penned by Giugiaro working as an independent (at his own Italdesign firm). And the Spider was of course styled by PininFarina.

Alfa doesn't have these outside design houses to call on anymore as they are largely all gone... So I fear the Coupe and eventual Spider will have more of a "corporate face" than a unique design.
Yup! All the designers of the 164 (at the 30 year) from Pinninfarina/Alfa blasted the new corporate design of the Giulia bigtime and for good reason. No outside design houses like Pinninfarina, Bertone or Italdesign lead to corporate designs = looks like everything else on the road to sell cars. Many cues on the Giulia mimic the BMW or anything else really.

I think the Giulia is still stunning but does share many of the same cues as other cars which was not Alfa in the past. It was always unique to almost ugly weird which grew on you to be beautiful. I just wonder if the Giulia's design will be timeless like the Pinninfarina designs. Ok some do get slightly outdated but then like fashion come back in style. ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts

Yup! All the designers of the 164 (at the 30 year) from Pinninfarina/Alfa blasted the new corporate design of the Giulia bigtime and for good reason. No outside design houses like Pinninfarina, Bertone or Italdesign lead to corporate designs = looks like everything else on the road to sell cars. Many cues on the Giulia mimic the BMW or anything else really.

I think the Giulia is still stunning but does share many of the same cues as other cars which was not Alfa in the past. It was always unique to almost ugly weird which grew on you to be beautiful. I just wonder if the Giulia's design will be timeless like the Pinninfarina designs. Ok some do get slightly outdated but then like fashion come back in style. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
I don’t see any mimicking. Sure there are similarities but nothing close to copying imo.

·
Vendor
3,417 Posts
I don’t see any mimicking. Sure there are similarities but nothing close to copying imo.
I agree. No copying which was not stated. Just very similar cues. That was their point. I agree with it but also agree that if you study the Alfa more, it is different. Problem they see is it's not drastically different as in the past, it's more corporate. For the average person, the giulia may not be that noticeable compared to a BMW from the rear say. In my 164 or Milano, but mainly the 164, I had people oooing and awwwing at it every time I drove it. That said, I have had this a few times with the Giulia. I think the Engineers and designers were pointing out the change in design from 164 to Giulia and how the Giulia follows the cues of competitors instead of really designing something completely different.
I think the Giulia is beautiful but wish was designed in the by pinninfarina or Italdesign or Bertone or Giugiaro design house. I also had a Subaru SVX designed by Giugiaro, totally different car than anything else on the road. That's why we drive these cars (Alfa's), not to blend in. That said, Marco Tencone at Centro Stile Alfa Romeo did a great job and did use to work with Pinninfarina. So there's that. I am only passing along what 164 designers stated and also critiquing it myself , I still think the design is excellent and beautiful. I suppose if they keep in-house talent that have experience from the older designers, then better for Alfa.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts