Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of the location of the location of the oil drain plug on the 2.0. I don't want to pull the shroud any more than I have to and I would like to know if it is possible to drain the oil with the front of the car on 6" ramps. For example, on my 3.5 Nissan, the plug is at the rear of the oil pan and any slope would only assist gravity. Not so much if the plug is in the middle of the oil pan. If that's the case, I will need to plan ahead to level the Giulia while its on the ramps.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
See attached picture from service manual that I got off mopar a long time ago. This shows the location. Not sure how much of the under tray you will need off of if the tray is in two sections or just one.

Instructions as below - NOTE: I do not have access to all parts of the service manual any more:

Change the engine oil at the mileage and time intervals described in the Maintenance Schedule(Refer to 04 Vehicle
Quick Reference/Maintenance Schedules Description)
1. Run the engine until achieving normal operating temperature.
2. Position the vehicle on a level surface and turn the engine off.
3. Remove the engine belly pan (Refer to 13 Frame
and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY
PAN/Removal and Installation) .
4. Remove the oil fill cap (1).
5. Raise and support the vehicle (Refer to 04 Vehicle
Quick Reference/Hoisting/Standard Procedure) .
6. Place a suitable oil collecting container under
the oil pan drain plug (2).
7. Remove the oil pan drain plug (2) and allow the
oil to drain into the collecting container. Inspect
the drain plug threads for stretching or damage.
Replace the drain plug and gasket if damaged.
8. Remove the oil filter (1) (Refer to 09 Engine/
Lubrication/FILTER, Engine Oil/Removal
and Installation) .
9. Install the oil pan drain plug (1) and tighten the
drain plug to the proper (Refer to 09 Torque
Specification) .
10. Install a new oil filter (Refer to 09 Engine/
Lubrication/FILTER, Engine Oil/Removal and Installation) .
11. Fill the crankcase with the specified type and amount of engine oil (Refer to 04 Vehicle
Quick
Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids Specifications)
12. Install the oil fill cap.
13. Start the engine and inspect for leaks.
14. Install the engine belly pan (Refer to 13 Frame
and Bumpers/Under Body Protection/BELLY
PAN/Removal and Installation) .
15. If required, check the oil level (Refer to 09 Engine/

Attachments

Reactions: Clarkebb

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Triumph23, exactly what I needed. Looks like I'm going to have to plan to raise rear of car after the front is up on the ramps. A little more labor intensive but doable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've crawled far enough under to have suspected that but wasn't sure. That's why I was trying to get a picture beforehand so I wouldn't have to do an extra removal, lol.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I’m pretty sure they’re held on with Torx fasteners, although there may be Phillips as well along the edges.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can't beat Mercedes - all topside. Vacuum extraction from a diptube and a top mounted oil filter, can do the job without even putting a knee on the ground.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I did a oil change myself at 5k and the belly pan was a pain, 18 or 19 screws wiggle it back and forward to clear fender, wheel wells. Laying on my back, don't have a lift.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Can't beat Mercedes - all topside. Vacuum extraction from a diptube and a top mounted oil filter, can do the job without even putting a knee on the ground.

AMGs are supposed/recommended to be drained from the bottom.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to reset the oil life/maintenance reminder without visiting the dealership? BTW, thanks for the pictures and directions.

·
Registered
537 Posts
LOWER COVER IS HELD ON BY 19 (TORX) T30 SCREWS, DRAIN PLUG IS A 13MM HEAD.

IVE NEVER DONE IT THIS WAY AS I USE MY SCANNER, BUT HERE IS WHAT THEY CALL FOR. KEEP IN MIND SOMEONE TRIED THIS WHILE I WAS AWAY AT TRAINING AND SAID IT DID NOT WORK, BUT GIVE IT A TRY AND LET ME KNOW.

Oil Change Indicator - Reset
• To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure.
• Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
• Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, six times within 10 seconds.
• Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE:
If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure. If the above process fails to complete, use the scan tool to complete the reset process.

Reactions: LoCoRob

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
@ALFATECH - does that do both places? The guy at my dealer tried the pedal trick and couldn't reset the Infotainment section. Think he was ok on the engine module bit but he didn't reveal how he did the Infotainment in the end just reiterated there were two places? :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Im not sure since i never do it, i use my scanner. With the scanner you need to reset in the pcm and in the ipc.
Ive been told this procedure does not work by two different people but its all there is in our service info, besides using the scanner.

·
Registered
120 Posts
LOWER COVER IS HELD ON BY 19 (TORX) T30 SCREWS, DRAIN PLUG IS A 13MM HEAD.

IVE NEVER DONE IT THIS WAY AS I USE MY SCANNER, BUT HERE IS WHAT THEY CALL FOR. KEEP IN MIND SOMEONE TRIED THIS WHILE I WAS AWAY AT TRAINING AND SAID IT DID NOT WORK, BUT GIVE IT A TRY AND LET ME KNOW.

• To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure.
• Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
• Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE:
If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure. If the above process fails to complete, use the scan tool to complete the reset process.
Thank you so much. I’ll give it a try. Should I start with an incantation? ...

Double, double toil and trouble,
fire burn and cauldron bubble......
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a ****-broth boil and bubble.

:wink2:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lol, keep us posted, maybe that should be added to the procedure.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks

NOTE:
I tried this several times and no success. I suppose I’ll need to buy the OBD tool or pay $185 to the local Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo dealer to reset it with its OBD-thingy.

I did the oil and filter change yesterday. The under shield is a bit fiddly, but nothing I haven’t seen on other cars. The shield seems to be made of some sort of synthetic fiber board; it seems very flexible compared to the plastic panels used on many other cars. I’ll be interested to see how durable it is in comparison to the plastic undershields on other cars.

I did make one mistake. I raised the car from the ground using my lowboy roller jack. I put the pad under the jacking/raising point beside the driver’s side front wheel–big mistake. The oil drain plug is on the driver’s side of the oil pan. I had to lower the car and re-raise it on the passenger’s side to ensure that all of the oil could drain properly; I won’t make that mistake twice. Also, I noticed that my jack was able to raise the car enough to raise both front and back wheels from the ground. I may try to raise from the back end jacking point next time and stick a jack stand under the front raising point.

I always wonder if it’s purely psychological, but my vehicles always seem to run sweeter after an oil change. Lucrezia was purring this morning on the drive in to the office. :smile2:

Reactions: ALFATECH

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dealer should charge maybe .5 for labour, so figure well under $100, likely around $50.......imo you’d be best to ask your salesperson to help with this as he may have a tech he can go to for this kind of thing, we do similar favours for sales often.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did a oil change myself at 5k and the belly pan was a pain, 18 or 19 screws wiggle it back and forward to clear fender, wheel wells. Laying on my back, don't have a lift.
Did you change it after the car suggested to or you just did it?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Did you change it after the car suggested to or you just did it?
Just did it at 5k, will do the rest at 10k or if it tells me. The dealer did one at 10k, I'll do the rest and I have Multiecuscan to reset it. At 14k now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.