Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Is there a quick way to determine if the engine ECU updates have been performed?

What is the most recent update?
Open the drivers door, look on the black label on the B-pillar, right after Alfa Romeo SPA will be a month and year of manufacture. If the date is 3/17 or before, absolutely go into the car and check the software version...but even before that there's a easy clue. When the car starts up, is the fourth label "APPS" or "CAR" on the menu? If it's CAR, you likely have the most recent "big" update".

To check the update number, go to SETTINGS, SYSTEM, SOFTWARE UPDATE, SOFTWARE VERSION, I believe. You want to see it start 002.xxx.xxx at least.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Open the drivers door, look on the black label on the B-pillar, right after Alfa Romeo SPA will be a month and year of manufacture. If the date is 3/17 or before, absolutely go into the car and check the software version...but even before that there's a easy clue. When the car starts up, is the fourth label "APPS" or "CAR" on the menu? If it's CAR, you likely have the most recent "big" update".

To check the update number, go to SETTINGS, SYSTEM, SOFTWARE UPDATE, SOFTWARE VERSION, I believe. You want to see it start 002.xxx.xxx at least.
thanks this is helpful. The car is a 12/16 build. By fourth label on the menu do you mean the infotainment screen menu?

·
Registered
482 Posts
From what others have said on here, you cannot tell the engine CPU software from the in-dash infotainment screen. You will have to press them about it. According to the TSBs, if the car was built after April 2017 it will automatically have the latest version.

The only other thing is to check the tire pressure. Very common that they are overinflated.

That's it. Then you're good to go!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Also, if you are unsure, ask the dealership rep to show you how to check to engine oil level using the infotainment display. The 2.9 V6 has a dipstick, the 2.0 4cyl, does not.
Set aside some time to read the Owner's Manual.
Many aspects of operating a modern automobile are intuitive, but there are many details that are not. The OM is a wealth of knowledge.
Happy motoring, and good luck!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, if you are unsure, ask the dealership rep to show you how to check to engine oil level using the infotainment display. The 2.9 V6 has a dipstick, the 2.0 4cyl, does not.
Set aside some time to read the Owner's Manual.
Many aspects of operating a modern automobile are intuitive, but there are many details that are not. The OM is a wealth of knowledge.
Happy motoring, and good luck!!
Yes Im and big proponent of RTFM (Read The F***ing Manual).

Fortunately the same vendor that makes BMW's idrive also makes the infotainment system for the Giulia. So it'll hopefully be very similar in menu structure etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Enjoy! It should be a great drive from Mechanicsburg to State College!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
thanks this is helpful. The car is a 12/16 build. By fourth label on the menu do you mean the infotainment screen menu?
Yes, on the main menu screen for the infotainment screen, there are five catagories, the fourth was labeled "APPS" until the recent update to the software, where it was relabeled "CAR". The other easy way to know is do you have a lozenge with the numbers "1-6"or the numbers "1-7" and a star on the bottom, in the middle, of the info screen (those are the presets).

Updates are loaded into TechConnect by VIN number, and you can have a service writer show you the updates that have been applied to your vehicle, and the date. It should also show any RRT (Rapid Response Transmittal?) items that are pending, and those are required and should have already been done. If you haven't had any updates done in July, your car is likely NOT up to date.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I emailed the sales manager about this and she confirmed that the car had some software updates this morning and that they would be happy to provide documentation of everything that's been done.

So that's promising.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yes Im and big proponent of RTFM (Read The F***ing Manual).

Agreed!!
Vegas says that are Buying in Mechanicsburg. True? Faulkner?
Me too.
Oct-Nov delivery, I'm told.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good luck. I tried and tried to do this and it still didn't happen.
They had the updates done when I got there. All told they did 5 Rapid Response Transmittal (High priority TSBs) the morning. They gave me a document listing them all.

Also I noticed that the oil temp gauge was reading at 4 bars not 5 as seems to be the case for cars that have had the updates. They also made sure all of the tire pressures were correctly set.

I have to say they were extremely attentive to detail. They also preemptively pointed out to me a small scratch on one of the trim pieces and they have ordered a replacement part. I may not have noticed it. But they were very upfront about it.

Also when the car needs service they will valet it down to the dealer and provide a loaner. It is a Maserati & Alfa dealer and they provide Maseratis as loaners.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
They had the updates done when I got there. All told they did 5 Rapid Response Transmittal (High priority TSBs) the morning. They gave me a document listing them all.

Also I noticed that the oil temp gauge was reading at 4 bars not 5 as seems to be the case for cars that have had the updates. They also made sure all of the tire pressures were correctly set.

I have to say they were extremely attentive to detail. They also preemptively pointed out to me a small scratch on one of the trim pieces and they have ordered a replacement part. I may not have noticed it. But they were very upfront about it.

Also when the car needs service they will valet it down to the dealer and provide a loaner. It is a Maserati & Alfa dealer and they provide Maseratis as loaners.
Same with my dealer (Maserati and Alfa only) but honestly I think the problem is that I had to get my car delivered to me out of state ... They drove it 70 miles from the dealership to my house and then took my old car back to the dealership...No chance of bringing up anything, too late

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same with my dealer (Maserati and Alfa only) but honestly I think the problem is that I had to get my car delivered to me out of state ... They drove it 70 miles from the dealership to my house and then took my old car back to the dealership...No chance of bringing up anything, too late
Weird. My dealer made it seemed like this was all part of the standard pre-sale prep of the car.
In fact on the document they gave me it actually states for each of these RRTs that they "MUST BE PERFORMED".

There was one RRT that came down the pike last Friday that they didn't see until this morning having to do with replacing an orange in the rolling system. They don't have the part but as soon as they do they'll get me in to do the replacement.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yea, some dealers are more attuned than others, Dok. Mine was in the process of new ownership, but they are trying to make up for it now.

Apologies on my Info Screen description, as I failed to consider you might have 6 labels, if you have Navi...sorry if it confused you. Hope you didn't get a ticket on the way home.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree on reading the owner's manual. However, with the Giulia there is a hidden gem that is also a great help.
Go into the infotainment screen to menu/apps/user's manual/search by image. At first glance I mistakenly
thought it was probably just a scrolling thru the owner's manual pdf file. It is actually a well designed numbered
and illustrated trip thru the main feature section of the Giulia and not as tiresome as paging thru the manual,
which of course is always great for reference.

Also if you go to YouTube and search you will find among the many Giulia reviews, etc., some 1-4 minute professional
tutorials from Alfa Romeo on different feature sets on the Giulia. Search for Alfa Romeo Giulia 2017. Here is an example.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts