Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are no Quads I like and I found ones out of state. I'm considering flying in and driving home. I don't usually buy new cars (this will be my first since 2002). Here are a few thoughts so please pitch in if I missed something...

• Shouldn't I expect the dealer to do all necessary updates to software and recalls?
  • Considering having a clear bra done all over the car because it will not live in a garage but covered.
  • Will they give me paper plates?
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
1) You would think so, but I wouldn't count on it.

2) Several products come to mind, and there are threads about such.

3) No new car will come with plates, that I know of.

Issues:

1) Fly and buy leaves you susceptible to surprises.

2) Poor way to break in a new car.

3) Possible tax/registration issues (especially between states).

Best idea, get a local dealer to bring in your choice of vehicle via transport or order one. Avoids the breakin issue and the tax/registration issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you are buying in-state then it does not matter, the dealer will file for the paperwork and plates like a normal sale, if you are buying out of state they give u the paperwork and then you go to register at DMV yourself, as well as you will need to pay the relevant taxes of your state. Some details may depend on which states you are in and buying. I think the plates go to dealer or you can specify to mail to your address if not local.

You should ask the dealer these questions (as well as pre-negotiate a price for the car !) before you fly.

And yes, they should be doing all the updates, remind them before you go, but if they don't just bring it to the local dealer for warranty service.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Make them check on updates. Cross state, ship then register. You may need proof of insurance (MA). When I replaced my 348 with the 360, a 3rd party company was doing the registration from NY to MA. It got done, but took forever more than a month and I missed the big Concorso Ferrari and Friends in CT last June. I had the idea to buy and drive back in 2013 when I got the 348 but shipped instead. I had no clue about what really happens. This will be my first new car since the Miata, which was my first ever ;) Maybe the dealer can swap for you? Then it's just the title right?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just wanted to post an update and my experience with this.

Our Giulia is coming from an out of state dealership in a neighboring state (Ken Pollock Alfa in PA while I'm in NY).

I just went through and approved all of the final paperwork this afternoon, because our car will be delivered to us on Monday morning. KP Alfa contracts with a company called REG USA, to handle getting all of the NY DMV stuff processed. The only thing I'll have to do once the car is here in NY, is go to a state approved inspection facility (basically any auto service shop) and get my inspection done (a bargain at $21 here in upstate NY for 2 years!). REG USA handles titling in NY, handles NY registration, provides a temporary paper NY tag, and they Fedex us our physical metal plates. KP Alfa provides us with a temp 60 day Pennsylvania based "in transit" registration.

The process was super easy, just a few more pieces of paperwork and signatures. Expense was a little more than just doing it in state. In total I'm paying $309 for fees related to DMV. I believe the last car I bought in NY, in 2015, I paid about $245 in NY DMV fees.

Overall, don't sweat getting the car from out of state, if the dealer is accommodating and has done it before, it'll go smoothly with no headaches for you and no significant extra cost.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
How many Giulias have you seen in Syracuse? I was there last weekend and didn't spot one. Ditto for Rochester, which I also visit regularly. Few people there seem interested. Oh, well. I know what I have and like it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
How many Giulias have you seen in Syracuse? I was there last weekend and didn't spot one. Ditto for Rochester, which I also visit regularly. Few people there seem interested. Oh, well. I know what I have and like it.
To date, I've seen 3 Giulias total in the wild.

June 2017 in New Hope PA, an Alfa Red base model with NJ plates.

Sept 2017 just outside of Watkins Glen NY, Montecarlo Blue (Friday Sept 8th around 4PM in the afternoon I think, they were leaving WG, while I was heading into WG)

Oct 2017 in Skaneateles NY parked on Jordan St, Montecarlo Blue Ti with 19" Sport pack. Skaneateles is a town over from our town, and it doesn't surprise me that we spotted our first local Giulia here... Skaneateles is about 30 minutes from Syracuse (Skaneateles Lake is actually the drinking water source for the city of Syracuse).

So our Giulia will feel pretty isolated and lonely around here. Although I'm amazed at how many Range Rover Evoques I've been seeing lately. No Range Rover dealers here in Syracuse, like Alfa, the nearest RR dealer is in Rochester.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
If I fly in from out of state I'm going to expect more than paper plates in the deal - I'd want a nicely stocked wicker basket with sufficient assorted food & drink to last the drive home.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
To date, I've seen 3 Giulias total in the wild.

June 2017 in New Hope PA, an Alfa Red base model with NJ plates.

Sept 2017 just outside of Watkins Glen NY, Montecarlo Blue (Friday Sept 8th around 4PM in the afternoon I think, they were leaving WG, while I was heading into WG)

Oct 2017 in Skaneateles NY parked on Jordan St, Montecarlo Blue Ti with 19" Sport pack. Skaneateles is a town over from our town, and it doesn't surprise me that we spotted our first local Giulia here... Skaneateles is about 30 minutes from Syracuse (Skaneateles Lake is actually the drinking water source for the city of Syracuse).

So our Giulia will feel pretty isolated and lonely around here. Although I'm amazed at how many Range Rover Evoques I've been seeing lately. No Range Rover dealers here in Syracuse, like Alfa, the nearest RR dealer is in Rochester.
Rochester gets its water from Hemlock Lake. :surprise: I have a friend/classmate in Skaneateles. Lovely town. I wonder how many of those Rovers are driven by Syracuse students or their parents. The Glen would be fun in a Giulia. I'll wave if I see you when driving through in my Giulia.

Reactions: wbclassics

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
KP is a great dealer...bought a Volvo from the Wilkes-Barre KP dealer....(I'm in NY)...drove my XC60 there...they gave me $3 K more than any other dealer and had done all my paperwork ....drove home with Dealer plates...had to go to DMV to pay NY Taxes (difference between my XC60 value and new car) and then DMV issued plates on the spot and had to get safety inspection....They are a great dealership...But I would want my Giulia shipped enclosed so I could take it to the detailer for Clear Bra (Xpel Ultimate)...

Reactions: wbclassics

·
Registered
365 Posts
KP is a great dealer...bought a Volvo from the Wilkes-Barre KP dealer....(I'm in NY)...drove my XC60 there...they gave me $3 K more than any other dealer and had done all my paperwork ....drove home with Dealer plates...had to go to DMV to pay NY Taxes (difference between my XC60 value and new car) and then DMV issued plates on the spot and had to get safety inspection....They are a great dealership...But I would want my Giulia shipped enclosed so I could take it to the detailer for Clear Bra (Xpel Ultimate)...
KP is delivering my Giulia via their enclosed trailer. I'll take pics when they roll up on Monday morning.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
There are no Quads I like and I found ones out of state. I'm considering flying in and driving home. I don't usually buy new cars (this will be my first since 2002). Here are a few thoughts so please pitch in if I missed something...

• Shouldn't I expect the dealer to do all necessary updates to software and recalls?
  • Considering having a clear bra done all over the car because it will not live in a garage but covered.
  • Will they give me paper plates?
Thank you.
1) Dealer should do updates but expect them to not do them
2) Sounds good
3) No, that is something you talk to the DMV about, at least in my state. Make it easy for yourself, get plates ahead of time if possible so there is no mixup at the dealership. I also think it depends on state too

Max

1 - 14 of 14 Posts