Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have been looking at the AR Giulia Ti Sport 2wd with all the options. We were ready to pull the plug on a pretty Stromboli Grey loaded (stereo great safety package sport etc) but then I sort of stumbled on a Q2 package. The dealers continue of course to tell me oh it is just more stuff. Well the "stuff" matters. I currently own a MINI. I love it BUT it had everything I could ask for BUT it was not the S which the dealer at the time told me it was more STUFF and would not matter. Most of the time it doesn't BUT I always think about it and now I am not making the same mistake twice by missing a detail. My question for the forum. How much of a difference would I notice by not getting the Q2 High Performance Sport Package vs the Ti Sport 2WD? Also, what does everyone think of the Stromboli with Red interior on the sport? What do I want to make sure I don't over look in buying? :surprise:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a 2wd Ti with the Performance package and I love it. I thought I did not really need the paddle shifters but I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Even in Dynamic mode the car is always at too low RPMs for me without the paddle shifters. I am sure you would love the car without the Performance package, but it is well worth the $1,200 in my opinion. With the paddle shifters the car is transformed into something almost alive. It turns into a cat ready to pounce. Plus you get the limited slip differential which is very valuable in a 2-wheel drive car. I would do it over again. Staggered rear tires are a option I would pass on.

Color is personal, but why would anyone want a grey car like this? If you want grey get a Volvo, lol. My color preferences in order: Either of the two Tri-coats ( Russo red or Trofeo white), then Montecarlo Blue. I'm sure many people will disagree with me on this, lol.

Look at the Lusso interior package. The seats have an extra adjustment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
not quite sure what you are comparing here. Q2 (or Q4) is just the badging that you see on different models....its not the model name itself. Are you comparing a base Giulia to a Ti Sport? or a Ti Sport with or without the Ti Sport Performance package ($1200). I'll assume the latter for the rest of my answer but please clarify if I've misinterpreted you.

for the rest of my answer I'm just going to quote another forum member who answered this comprehensively:

Active suspension allows the damping rate to be adjusted. It has two settings in dynamic mode and only one setting in Natural or Advanced Efficiency modes. Without it you get a single "compromise" setting. With it, you get a softer ride in N and A and your choice of softer or harder ride in D.

Limited slip diff improves rear wheel traction by reducing the chance of just one wheel breaking loose. You can accelerate harder in a straight line or in a curve. Traction control and ESC attempt to do something similar by reacting to wheel slippage and applying the brakes, but it does not work as well as a mechanical LSD.

LSD cuts in when a wheel starts to slip.
Traction control cuts in when a wheel starts to spin.

LSD can still allow one wheel to spin. LSD are rated with a "torque ratio" that indicates the maximum ratio of torque that can be applied to the wheel. If one wheel has 0 traction, the torque ratio doesn't matter and the other wheel gets 0*ratio = 0 torque (not quite exactly, due to internal friction in the LSD but pretty close). When this happens the mix of LSD + traction control shines, because the traction control can *gently* apply the brake on the spinning wheel to send plenty of torque to the wheel with traction. This makes the transition to higher traction conditions much smoother compared to traction control alone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
@90Below....all Ti Sports come with the paddle shifters. (its part of the Sport package). The Ti Sport Performance package adds Active Suspension and mechanical Limited Slip Differential.

You might have interpreted the original question better than me though, not sure.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why grey because they don't have the tri-color red but the volcanic black is pretty sweet. I live in AZ so black is hot (ha ha everything is hot in the summer). Okay. The Ti Sport we are looking at has the paddle shifters but I don't think it is a Q2 although maybe it is. Can you get one with the paddles and have it not be a Q2? I will say you make a very valid point. My husband would really want the Quadrafolio in the blue or tri red (forget the official color names) but the Stromboli is not our first choice.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so how much of a difference is the "performance package" Active Suspension and mechanical Limited Slip Differential going to make on my drive. Can I feel the difference and if I went head to head would I say **** it why didn't I get this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
again, "Q2" is just a badging detail, not the model names. Your options are:

- Base Giulia
- Giulia Sport
- Giulia Ti Lusso
- Giulia Ti Sport

all of the models are available as 2WD ("Q2") or 4WD ("Q4") though the Base models won't show this badging (I don't think).
The Ti Lusso and Sport are available with the additional Performance Package (Paddle Shifters, Active Suspension and LSD). Note: that on the Ti Sport this option won't show the Paddle shifters because the Sport already has the Paddle shifters as standard equipment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
there is no way for us to advise you as to whether you will be able to "tell the difference". Depends on your style of driving and your sensitivity to the subtle changes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
@90Below ....all Ti Sports come with the paddle shifters. (its part of the Sport package). The Ti Sport Performance package adds Active Suspension and mechanical Limited Slip Differential.

You might have interpreted the original question better than me though, not sure.
Thanks a2alfaguy -- so many subtle options. On my sticker the paddle shifters are listed as part of the Ti Performance package, which confused me. I really do like the active suspension as there is a noticeable improvement in the feel of the car when its on. And I like the idea of having that limited slip diff there if it is ever needed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Okay so how much of a difference is the "performance package" Active Suspension and mechanical Limited Slip Differential going to make on my drive. Can I feel the difference and if I went head to head would I say **** it why didn't I get this?
Go drive them, but I would say if you like spirited driving then yes, you will regret not getting the active suspension. The limited slip diff you won't feel in a test drive unless your salesperson has nerves of steel. The LSD is also a big plus in winter or slippery conditions though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a MY18 Ti Sport Q4 AWD- when shopping and my test drive I drove a base model AWD without the Performance Package. Salesman said I would really notice the difference with the active suspension. I didn't listen and order the car with all the options I wanted or thought I wanted and I am glad I did because the last thing I wanted with owning this car is "I wish I had of" going through my head. The only thing I didn't get on the care was the upgraded HK system and still glad I didn't, just didn't matter to me.

I am very glad I didn't listen to the Sales guy and got the Ti Performance Package with the active suspension and LSD. The LSD has been great, have felt it kick in a few times as the right wheel starts to slip and than the left grabs and the that one slips and the fronts grab and the way you go. IMO a must if you are going with the RWD car. Without it, loss of traction to the right rear would cause TC ESC to cut in and reduce power to adjust to the slippage.

I use the Active suspension all the time, when I switch to D mode and not doing a lot of cornering I will set it to Soft to have the performance of D but the ride of N. When I hit the corners I switch it back for the added control and handling of the stiffer suspension. Love it and love having that choice.

I was wondering the other day- The cars without the Performance Package - is there no difference in suspension when switching to D? Or do all Giulia's the Active Dampeners but the Performance Pack adds the ability to Soften the Suspension in D mode?

Edit- as I recall I don't remember noticing any difference in my Base Giulia Test drive with the suspension when switching to D mode, so maybe I answered my own question.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for joining and doing your research with us :D I would second the advise below. I think your answers depend on your expectation of the car. These are quick cars so would extra toys help you? Are you planning on track days, zooming around, live near some most excellent roads that you're going to use it? If you're a conservative driver who wants a sexy car for A to B then that'll drop your requirements. Would like to hear your thoughts.

I've driven the S mini and it's night and day with a stock with that Supercharger but again, if you're zipping around town a Supercharger isn't worth it kind of thing.

there is no way for us to advise you as to whether you will be able to "tell the difference". Depends on your style of driving and your sensitivity to the subtle changes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
again, "Q2" is just a badging detail
The Ti Lusso and Sport are available with the additional Performance Package (Paddle Shifters, Active Suspension and LSD).
Sorry to get picky with you but as you can see from my icon this is a part of the Giulia specs matters to me :smile2: So I have to disagree with you on both of the above statements based on this AR doc
2017 feature availability
The way I’m reading it the only way to get the Q2 badge is with the Performance package or Performance plus packages.
  • The performance package is the “active suspension and mechanical limited-slip differential”
  • The plus adds “18-in. Sport wheels with all-season performance tires, colored brake calipers in Red, Black or Yellow), sport steering wheel with bright insert, column-mounted paddle shifters and aluminum Sport pedals including footrest”

Either of the Performance packs can be added to the Ti, the paddle shifters can also be added by choosing the sport package which has a big overlap with the plus features of the Performance plus. But at least on the MY 17’s the sport package conflicts with the lusso package.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Minime, what are you looking for as far as performance, luxury, comfort? The Ti models are an upgrade from the base models, and have options available that the base models don't. Are you looking for a 2017 or a 2018? Stromboli Grey is a somewhat passive color. When you look at cars in that color outside on the lot, that color really doesn't 'pop' like some of the others do. If you like gray, I think the Vesuvio Gray is gorgeous. It has a rich depth to it similar to the Monte Carlo Blue. Gray with red interior would look great; a classic color combo.

As far as sport versus other models, try getting in and out of sports and non-sports. The seats are different. The sport models have higher bolsters on the sides which might make it somewhat uncomfortable to get in and out of if you're not used to that kind of seating. The seats in the Lusso models have a bit more padding and the most adjustability. The look is different, and the side bolsters are not as high. I have them and they are very comfortable. They do a good job holding you in place, but if you plan on high performance driving, the sports seats will be better for that. The Lusso models have more leather in the interior which gives them a very high-end look and feel.

Some things I would say are a must on a Ti are: Ti Performance package, Driver assist packages; both static and dynamic, and High Performance Bi-Xenon headlights. If you want the sunroof fine, but that's a lot of black glass above your head. In Arizona that's going to get very hot. Another thing about the sunroof is the privacy panel isn't opaque; it's somewhat translucent which may further add to the heat in the car. The HK stereo upgrade gets mixed reviews. I have it and to me it sounds okay, but then I don't listen to the radio much. Others think it sounds terrible. You'd have to decide how important that is and if it's worth the extra $900.

Since you live in AZ, AWD isn't a necessity but those models (Q4) are faster 0-60 if that's important to you. They're also $2,000 more.

It all depends on what you're looking for, and what you're expectations are for what the car should do for you. If you're interested in 2017's, there are still some available. The dealer here in Boise, Dennis Dillon Alfa Romeo, still has some and is marking them down about $10,000. With that much of a discount, it would be worth it to have it shipped to you if they have what you're looking for.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I'd say that, depending on your driving style and conditions-- and I'm assuming here that, since you're asking this question, you're just driving, not track/solo-- there are elements of the Perf Pack which you may notice, and some you may not.

The Ti Performance Package (the one applicable to the Ti w/ Sport Pack you're looking at, which already has paddle shifters), which earns the Q2 badge, and includes the limited slip differential (LSD) and adjustable dampers (i.e. shocks).

Regarding the LSD, if you live somewhere wet, it'll help you put down power during aggressive driving, so you'll notice it. If you live with snow, it'll help get a bit more noticeable traction. If you have tight turns and/or you really like pushing it really hard through turns, again, it would be noticeable. If you drive like this in your Mini and it doesn't have LSD but you have wished for more traction at times, then get the Ti Perf Pack. If the Mini does have LSD and you drive like that, you should probably get it on the Giulia. The only catch is that Giulia has aggressive, non-cancellable, traction control, so the LSD only lets you go to a point before the traction control limits the behavior, so no tail-out antics for us either way.

Regarding the adjustable dampers, depending on road surface conditions and your preferred driving mode with the DNA selector, it may be a noticeable addition. The adjustability on offer is simply a softer setting when in Dynamic mode, which otherwise is stiffer than in Natural or Advanced Efficiency modes. The general thought is that when the Soft setting is engaged in D, you have the throttle response and shift points for aggressive driving, but more suspension suppleness for rough surfaces, which can translate to both better performance and greater comfort. Therefore, if you like driving in D and have rough roads, the option could be noticeable. I don't know if the D/Soft is the same as N and A suspension settings, nor do I know how the damping rates on the adustables compares to the standard, non-adjustable/fixed-rate dampers. I'd advise test driving the variously equipped cars for comparison.

If either condition is something you experience, then get the Ti Perf Pack. If you don't drive aggressively and never think about suspension performance, the package is an easy Pass.

Reactions: Tazio!1901

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW. So glad i stumbled on this site. YES. I notice every little difference and the way i drive i would notice. Living in AZ there is a track about 15 minutes away but otherwise we just have cool roads and mountains with some nice turns. I will use the car to its fullest potential. I can be patient and make sure i make the right decisions for the long term and short term. This will probably be my ladt new car I will buy.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Minime, what are you looking for as far as performance, luxury, comfort? The Ti models are an upgrade from the base models, and have options available that the base models don't. Are you looking for a 2017 or a 2018? Stromboli Grey is a somewhat passive color. When you look at cars in that color outside on the lot, that color really doesn't 'pop' like some of the others do. If you like gray, I think the Vesuvio Gray is gorgeous. It has a rich depth to it similar to the Monte Carlo Blue. Gray with red interior would look great; a classic color combo.

As far as sport versus other models, try getting in and out of sports and non-sports. The seats are different. The sport models have higher bolsters on the sides which might make it somewhat uncomfortable to get in and out of if you're not used to that kind of seating. The seats in the Lusso models have a bit more padding and the most adjustability. The look is different, and the side bolsters are not as high. I have them and they are very comfortable. They do a good job holding you in place, but if you plan on high performance driving, the sports seats will be better for that. The Lusso models have more leather in the interior which gives them a very high-end look and feel.

Some things I would say are a must on a Ti are: Ti Performance package, Driver assist packages; both static and dynamic, and High Performance Bi-Xenon headlights. If you want the sunroof fine, but that's a lot of black glass above your head. In Arizona that's going to get very hot. Another thing about the sunroof is the privacy panel isn't opaque; it's somewhat translucent which may further add to the heat in the car. The HK stereo upgrade gets mixed reviews. I have it and to me it sounds okay, but then I don't listen to the radio much. Others think it sounds terrible. You'd have to decide how important that is and if it's worth the extra $900.

Since you live in AZ, AWD isn't a necessity but those models (Q4) are faster 0-60 if that's important to you. They're also $2,000 more.

It all depends on what you're looking for, and what you're expectations are for what the car should do for you. If you're interested in 2017's, there are still some available. The dealer here in Boise, Dennis Dillon Alfa Romeo, still has some and is marking them down about $10,000. With that much of a discount, it would be worth it to have it shipped to you if they have what you're looking for.
I currently have sport seats and really like tight suspension. I have a MINI now and i cant think of a rougher ride but i love it. I test the Giulia Ti Sport but i dont believe it had the dynamic suspension. It felt like a luxury car to me compared to the go kart i drive so i do think the tighter the car is for me the better. If i am going on a longer trip i can always at a gel seat insert LOL.

·
Registered
573 Posts

I currently have sport seats and really like tight suspension. I have a MINI now and i cant think of a rougher ride but i love it. I test the Giulia Ti Sport but i dont believe it had the dynamic suspension. It felt like a luxury car to me compared to the go kart i drive so i do think the tighter the car is for me the better. If i am going on a longer trip i can always at a gel seat insert LOL.
That's what is great about having the Performance packing and active dampeners. You can have both the nicer ride and stiff suspension both at your fingers tip.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Well Mini, sounds like you'll want the Ti Sport, with the "must have" options I mentioned. Rather than get sunroof and/or HK stereo upgrade, depending on how you feel about modding, might I suggest you get the following:

Eurocompulsion's (they're a vendor here on the forum) V2 intake, and Phase 1 performance tune. Those two things alone added to a Ti Sport with the options suggested, would give you a wonderful performance car that can also be a comfortable commuter/trip car when needed. If you want to go even further mod-wise, add an aftermarket exhaust. I'd suggest going with whatever Eurocompulsion suggests because that's the one their performance tune was tested with. However if you don't like the sound, you could certainly go with a different one and still gain some benefit power-wise.

OR... depending on your budget, you might consider a Giulia Quadrifoglio. They're definitely more money but they're the star of the show when it comes to performance.

No matter which way you go, you're getting a great car. It may seem much more refined than what you're used to, but don't let that fool you. The chassis is so well designed, tuned and setup, that the car can do things effortlessly that other cars have to struggle with which gives them the illusion they're doing more. They aren't. They and the driver are just having to work harder.

As far as the Ti Performance package, when in D mode, the suspension is definitely stiffer. If you're driving over roads that are not in the best shape, but still want the performance of D mode, the Performance package gives you the option of pushing a button in the center of the DNA dial, which softens the suspension settings up somewhat so the suspension can do a better job tracking over the rough conditions. It's an option, and your choice as to whether you want to use it or not, and you can choose it at any given moment without having to stop the car or do anything other than push the button.

Let us know what you decide!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts