Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In R mode the automatic start/stop is deactivated......I just figured it out......
Tons of fun power sliding with no shutting down of the motor when commencing a launch......:grin2:
Only draw back is that you go thru tires a bit quicker......:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
save some tires for May! :)

I'm relying on the P2 tune as they forgot to put an R mode on mine ;(

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
save some tires for May! :)

I'm relying on the P2 tune as they forgot to put an R mode on mine ;(
No need to save anything, I’ll buy a new set and help keeping the economy going.....:grin2:
I can’t wait to test drive your tuned Giulia!

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
616 Posts
In R mode the automatic start/stop is deactivated......I just figured it out......
Tons of fun power sliding with no shutting down of the motor when commencing a launch......:grin2:
Only draw back is that you go thru tires a bit quicker......:laugh:

this is how I have handled the stop / start issue. I only drive in race mode. yes I am sideways and burning rubber on every outing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there a way to permanently disable this with a diagnostic tool at the dealership? I know a tuner may be able to disable it if you go that route, but it's not like the cars are lacking for power.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,373 Posts
this is how I have handled the stop / start issue. I only drive in race mode. yes I am sideways and burning rubber on every outing.
Putting on a show for the unfortunate masses?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Is there a way to permanently disable this with a diagnostic tool at the dealership? I know a tuner may be able to disable it if you go that route, but it's not like the cars are lacking for power.
Not sure they'd do it if they could, emissions are a hot potato i'm sure and if they were caught doing that i'd assume a big mess

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Not sure they'd do it if they could, emissions are a hot potato i'm sure and if they were caught doing that i'd assume a big mess
No worse than a plumber taking a flow restrictor out of a shower head (not that I know any who have).

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Come to think of it, just remembering to hit the off button may be the best way to handle it. Even if you could override it, you would probably have to hit another button anyway, like with the Forza controller... although it could be programmed to the Homelink buttons :) I am thinking of it as more of a checklist now:

1. Start (D mode, even thinking of N)
2. Soft suspension
3. Forza open on Homelink
4 --should be Auto S/S off but I still forget.

Reactions: BGorilla

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Imagine you're in a race car, leaving the pits.

·
Registered
317 Posts
At this point it is part of starting the car up for me. I hit the red button and then the stop start button. It’s becomes like putting on your seat belt.
Wait, there's a red button?:wink2: Once a tuner cracks the code this should be able to be coded out. In the meantime I have been thinking along the lines of another poster awhile back. It should be possible to install a chip which provides a pulse delay to the switch. A 555 or other IC chip can do this. There's actually a pre-packaged timer on the market for under $20. presently. I need to work out the leads in which to intercept. I need a day with nothing to do... Once accomplished I'll report back. My motivation is that now this is my second car which requires this and it is getting boring pretending I am entering an Apollo capsule or aircraft and have to go through a pre-flight checklist....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wait, there's a red button?:wink2: Once a tuner cracks the code this should be able to be coded out. In the meantime I have been thinking along the lines of another poster awhile back. It should be possible to install a chip which provides a pulse delay to the switch. A 555 or other IC chip can do this. There's actually a pre-packaged timer on the market for under $20. presently. I need to work out the leads in which to intercept.
See this thread for my solution which uses the pre-packaged timer. I've been using it for months now with no issue other than the remote start not working. I've forgotten that there is auto stop/start :)
Now if I could just keep the parking proximity sensor from beeping when the car is in Park in my garage. At least that one is reminding me to press the button :)

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
No worse than a plumber taking a flow restrictor out of a shower head (not that I know any who have).
It is less worse than the flow restrictor modification.

Auto start stop will shut the engine off immediately after you pull off of the freeway, potentially increasing intake carbon buildup on this direct injection engine. Start stop is just a terrible solution to anything other than helping fuel economy while driving in stop-and-go traffic. The best solutions to the later being to avoid driving in such traffic or get an electric car.

Shower head flow restrictors OTOH have a hidden benefit: if you like long-hot showers the water heater will be much less likely to run out. Just be sure to avoid the overly restrictive types that only let a trickle flow. Flows between 2 and 2.5 GPM seem to provide a good tradeoff. I know of no equivalent benefit to auto-start/stop--just a heavier car that requires more maintenance.

·
Registered
317 Posts
See this thread for my solution which uses the pre-packaged timer. I've been using it for months now with no issue other than the remote start not working. I've forgotten that there is auto stop/start :)
Now if I could just keep the parking proximity sensor from beeping when the car is in Park in my garage. At least that one is reminding me to press the button :)
Yes, yes it was your post! Thanks much; you deserve credit especially for recommending the timer unit which is brilliantly made and small. The only thing I don't understand is why this should disable the auto start feature. I'll need to read carefully what wire you're intercepting but I would figure if a pulse is given to the correct side of the auto s/s switch then it should act identically as the switch does. I'm also not sure a relay is needed as per the instructions from the company making the chip describe. I would think the chip can handle sufficient amperage if it's pulling a relay such as that is and also for that matter a transistor should/could be used instead. Anyhow I'll probably just buy two and try it out. I agree after reading the instructions on-line a delayed pulse with feature 7 seems like the way to go.:wink2:

·
Registered
692 Posts
The only thing I don't understand is why this should disable the auto start feature. I'll need to read carefully what wire you're intercepting but I would figure if a pulse is given to the correct side of the auto s/s switch then it should act identically as the switch does. I'm also not sure a relay is needed as per the instructions from the company making the chip describe. I would think the chip can handle sufficient amperage if it's pulling a relay such as that is and also for that matter a transistor should/could be used instead.
The remote start will start the car, but as soon as the simulated button press occurs, the car shuts off. I'm not sure why. Must be programming.

The Auto Stop/Start button is normally "open" or "floating". The timer module does not provide a function that makes the output normally "floating".

·
Registered
317 Posts
It probably thinks someone is in the car without the key. One could just program the timer with, say, a two or three minute delay - enough time to walk up to the car but not too late that the auto start/stop kicks in. Obviously it kicks in later for a cold start than a warm one....

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
It probably thinks someone is in the car without the key. One could just program the timer with, say, a two or three minute delay - enough time to walk up to the car but not too late that the auto start/stop kicks in. Obviously it kicks in later for a cold start than a warm one....
Yeah, that's why I didn't increase the timer. If I make a stop and then come back to the car, I don't want the auto start/stop engaged for the first few minutes of my trip. Plus I would probably use the remote start in the winter when I want it to warm up for at least 5 minutes, so the timer would have to be that long.
I just live without the remote start.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not too concerned as well but for those who want full functionality I wonder if the timer would need to "ping" the door switch to mimic an entry and then do a second "ping" to the auto s/s switch. I might have someone sit in the car and see what it takes to allow the auto s/s to be manually hit from inside on remote start without a shutdown.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts