Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
no worry - I highly recommend!

you'll be surprised what you overtake and what overtakes you and I think you'll be very impressed with how the Giulia performs, excellent brakes, excellent pickup and phenomenal handling.. you'll have a blast

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Thanks FNM.I want to find a school that teaches you how to drive a sports car.And I know that my Giulia is not a really one.But I never owned a car with pedal shifters before this one.
That's what's awesome about this car... it gives you that lost excitement for the pure joy of actually driving.... That is what this car is ALL ABOUT! My purchase was not a rational one but an emotional one.

Enjoy it and Congrats!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
Thanks to you FNM I found a race track in Ohio which is not NASCAR.
Its Mid Ohio School :D
Never been in high speeds and want to experience it for the first time, that too in my Giulia

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Never been in high speeds and want to experience it for the first time, that too in my Giulia
do itttttttttttttttttttt!!!

Think the Indianapolis has a track inside it too right?

Here's my top 5 tips:

1. Make sure you have a valid Snell helmet - that's the standard. Can get an HCL for around 150, don't need to go nuts
2. Would advise a decent camera filming your event (go-pro/track cam)
3. Track insurance with https://ontrackinsurance.com - you've spent a lot of money on your car, don't lose is, anything can happen
4. Don't obsess too much about tech, your car is new but if you're worried, brake fluid might be worth changing
5. Get a tire pressure gauge with a release valve. Most useful tool I used all day, the pressures go all over the place

Enjoy! pics/report are mandatory!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Also check Autobahn. It is South of Chicago by am hour or so. They hold a lot of club events there and part of their program is for novices.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The most comprehensive sites to find track events (High Performance Driving Schools) in US are:

Clubregistration.net

Motorsportreg.com

Choose your date and track and sign up! Just as easy as that......

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
MidOhio is a great track! I did two high speed driving schools with the BMW club there and they were wonderful experiences. Other marques are welcome with the club and I'm sure they'd love to see the new Alfa on the track. Plenty of old ones run the vintage races there, too!

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Just wanted to know if there is any Performance Driving School for Alfa Romeo owners near Chicago, Illinois?
The Chicago chapter of the Alfa Romeo Owner's Club runs an excellent track day and driver's school. I believe they run at Blackhawk Farms in the Spring and Autobahn in the Fall. They used to have a weekend at Road America but got priced out of that venue about 5 years ago.

The best thing about the Chicago chapter is that the instructors are great; people like Mike Besic and Rick Dunleavy that know a thing or two about racing Alfas.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Definitely change your brake fluid. There's no more buzzkill on a high speed track than pushing the brake pedal and having nothing happen!!! (Say at 105 mph...not fun)

The Brembo steelies are capable as heck, but the Achilles heal could be brake fluid.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Definitely change your brake fluid. There's no more buzzkill on a high speed track than pushing the brake pedal and having nothing happen!!! (Say at 105 mph...not fun)

The Brembo steelies are capable as heck, but the Achilles heal could be brake fluid.
In a novice run group the stock fluid and pads are just fine......
the money saved should be used to participate in more learning track events......
change the fluid/pads once promoted to intermediate/advanced run group

Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Thanks BostonDMD!

I'd be game for an event at Lime Rock. It looks like next spring at the earliest, though I could meet you guys in the Miata or Ferrari too.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Just wanted to know if there is any Performance Driving School for Alfa Romeo owners near Chicago, Illinois?
Thanks FNM.I want to find a school that teaches you how to drive a sports car.And I know that my Giulia is not a really one.But I never owned a car with pedal shifters before this one.
Seems like you've got some good direction.

You're right, the Giulia is not a sports car, but she is well balanced and will do well on a track. She's much heavier than I like, but, she'll feel neutral and fun to drive.

My local Alfa club runs track events and driving schools. I've taken the schools several times and have a dedicated track car. It's loads of fun and there's a lot to learn. I think you'll find that you'll be a better street driver later as a result of the schools. I want my wife to do this in our Giulia. I doubt I can talk her into it, but I can dream. And I might just do it in the Giulia myself so I can safely find out what she really has.

I took her up into the canyons yesterday. She felt nice, for a saloon.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Thanks BostonDMD!

I'd be game for an event at Lime Rock. It looks like next spring at the earliest, though I could meet you guys in the Miata or Ferrari too.
Looking at possible dates in August and September, I will keep you posted

BTW, the Miata will be just fine......

Reactions: FNM
1 - 20 of 22 Posts