Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advance Auto parts (carquest) now has it in some stores, meets the Fiat/Alfa spec 9.55535–GS1. In stock in Lincoln and omaha NE.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
ooh good to know - still haven't taken a trip to Shell to see if they have it too but i'll google my local Advance and see if they have it

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Out of stock at Advanced here in the Philadelphia suburbs. Their drones could not figure out how to find it "in the system".

NAPA was super helpful. Apparently Pennzoil distribution is sourced from Delaware. Should have ~10 gallons of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the tip!
I searched all the Advance Autoparts stores in the Birmingham area until I found the only one that had 4 quarts of Pennzoil Euro 0W30. Purely random. This is like searching for the Holy Grail.

What is so special about this oil that makes it so rare? Why couldn't Alfa come up with something less complicated to find?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Should be the "LX" oil that meets the 9.55535–GS1 spec.

All oils are not created equally. Though, other oils will probably be fine. Not sure I'd want to lose a $25k motor and not have a warranty though!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was able to find it in stock in one of their San Diego stores.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Is this oil suitable for top off prior to initial service? From what I understand there is a different oil from factory?
Also, the oil level guage is quite confusing :
Shows 2 bars below full...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is this oil suitable for top off prior to initial service? From what I understand there is a different oil from factory?
Also, the oil level guage is quite confusing :
Shows 2 bars below full...
This is a great question. Not sure if it was answered elsewhere... Maybe @AlfaRomeoCares could shed some light on using this oil for top off whether it's before initial service or after service

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why might it not be? It meets the specs and the viscosity listed in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Anyone else think the 0 part of the weight is a bit scary? I remember the old timers being paranoid about 5w-20 when that started showing up. Now, we are putting 0 in...I'd love to see a wear report wit this oil one day; especially the ASTM D-4172 4-ball test.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone else think the 0 part of the weight is a bit scary? I remember the old timers being paranoid about 5w-20 when that started showing up. Now, we are putting 0 in...I'd love to see a wear report wit this oil one day; especially the ASTM D-4172 4-ball test.
I used 0w-40 for 15 years in German cars where it was one of the approved oils, with no wear issues even up into higher miles. I don't have an issue with the 0 part. Its there to get oil moving around faster when its cold. For the other 99% of the time the oil is behaving as a 30 weight.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I did start a thread for results of Blackstone oil analysis which should provide data on wear. My initial change was at 2k miles but the data suggests it should be fine out the suggested 10k. I will send another sample out for analysis at that point which will be 8k miles on that oil. My reading suggests there have been phenomenal advances in oil technology and that modern motor oils are pretty sophisticated in their own right. My Giulia is the 2.0.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/179434-post1.html

Hope other people will contribute their own Blackstone test results.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Alan, When you replaced the oil at 2k, did you use the dealer supplied factory oil or the Penzoil Euro?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Went to the dealer, they used 0W30 but it doesn't state on my report that it is specifically Penzoil Euro. I guess I will find that out when I send the sample to Blackstone. If the chemistry doesn't match then the dealer is using some other brand. The first oil change report said they used 0W40 and when I pointed that out they changed it again to 0W30. Is the 0W40 the recommended viscosity for the 4C? Not a confidence builder for that dealer but they did own the problem and make it right as far as I can tell. I'm trying not to be paranoid :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am confused. I have a Quad and the manual states 0-40 oil, not 0-30. Just turned 2K miles and when I checked the oil level by way of dipstick it showed low. So, my local Autozone only had the Mobil 1 0-40 and that is what I used. Since I am on the subject, does one quart of oil in 2K miles considered normal?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts