Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched Insurance companies. I had been using Allstate for years but decided to shop around. I checked about 8 different Insurance companies for rates for more or less identical coverage. Progressive was the lowest for our two cars (My 2018 Giulia 2.0 and wifes 2020 Mercedes CLA250). I found rates all over the place . In the end I switched to Progressive as they were a little cheaper than Geico and about 50% of the rate I was paying Allstate.

As I'm a fairly cautious driver, I did agree to using their tracking App, called "Snapshot". What surprised me is that they only seem to track 3 things:
a) Hard Brakes
b) Fast Acceleration
c) Phone Usage
Well, I just found out that what they call "Fast Acceleration" must be anything that accelerates faster than a lawnmower. I drive briskly sometimes, but never dangerously and why on Earth would anyone consider that accelerating is a sin? The attached picture shows a copy of one trip that was 7.1 miles and I was dinged once for "Hard Braking" and 10 times for "Fast Acceleration". Oh my, time to look for another insurance Company....

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,417 Posts
I wonder how that would have read on Vettel‘s Ferrari F1 car.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CLA had 9 Braking events on my wifes 2.5 mile trip to the grocery store too...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I run lights now when they go red as I approach. I used to stop...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Freedom isn’t worth saving $10 a month IMO. I would never agree to track any of my driving habits. You could be the most cautious and they will find something.
I agree with you! I don't need Big Brother to watch over my shoulder. When the last time I was insurance shopping they offered me the device and I told them, no thanks. I think it is an invasion of privacy. I would rather pay a little more and I am not even an aggressive driver.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
620 Posts
I recently switched Insurance companies. I had been using Allstate for years but decided to shop around. I checked about 8 different Insurance companies for rates for more or less identical coverage. Progressive was the lowest for our two cars (My 2018 Giulia 2.0 and wifes 2020 Mercedes CLA250). I found rates all over the place . In the end I switched to Progressive as they were a little cheaper than Geico and about 50% of the rate I was paying Allstate.

As I'm a fairly cautious driver, I did agree to using their tracking App, called "Snapshot". What surprised me is that they only seem to track 3 things:
a) Hard Brakes
b) Fast Acceleration
c) Phone Usage
Well, I just found out that what they call "Fast Acceleration" must be anything that accelerates faster than a lawnmower. I drive briskly sometimes, but never dangerously and why on Earth would anyone consider that accelerating is a sin? The attached picture shows a copy of one trip that was 7.1 miles and I was dinged once for "Hard Braking" and 10 times for "Fast Acceleration". Oh my, time to look for another insurance Company....
View attachment 108142
This might explain the dumbasses attempting to merge into 70 MPH freeway traffic at 35 MPH. They can't accelerate more because they don't want pay $10 more a month...

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
This might explain the dumbasses attempting to merge into 70 MPH freeway traffic at 35 MPH. They can't accelerate more because they don't want pay $10 more a month...
that insurance company will 100% use all that info against anyone in an accident.Horrible idea. Now what they should invent is a device to track all the fraudulent slip and falls. People make a living out of that.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Allstate will "help you drive safer", NOT. Drivers become paranoid about using the brakes to avoid situations and that causes wrecks. I also strongly suspect that "hard acceleration" would only qualify as "hard" in a Prius or other under powered econo-box. The whole thing is not only a bad idea but I know of no evidence that supports its validity.

A bad driver detector seems like a reasonable concept but this ain't it.

Oh yeah, now insurance companies are recommending 3 seconds between cars--as if you can manage such a large opening while driving in traffic.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
307 Posts
I won’t be using one of these to save on insurance but it’s got me thinking. If it plugs into the odbII port and measures acceleration I wonder what it will think on a car with a “gopedel” plugged in 🤬

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I won’t be using one of these to save on insurance but it’s got me thinking. If it plugs into the odbII port and measures acceleration I wonder what it will think on a car with a “gopedel” plugged in 🤬
can you run two devices off obdII? Doesn’t one take over ? I know they sell splitters but people complain only one command at a time.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Can you just get rid of the device but still keep progressive for the lower rates?

I would never agree to a device like that

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
307 Posts
can you run two devices off obdII? Doesn’t one take over ? I know they sell splitters but people complain only one command at a time.
The gopedal doesn’t plug into the odbII port but part of not all it does is trick the car into thinking you are accelerating more than you actually are

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
F that. I don't care what the discount is. No freaking way. I'm glad I have USAA.

Reactions: Monk

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can’t be the only one who doesn’t care if my insurer knows my route to work..right?

I also have an echo dot..but my everyday conversations are probably pretty boring to listen to anyway.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.