Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Alfa owners. Has anyone modified their pcv system to add oil separator?
Given the whole direct injected and carbon issues, thinking I will add to the separators to each pcv and breather. It looks straightforward, Ive done prior on my Mini Cooper track car. Just a shout out if any Alfa owners have any experiences with this? Here’s a simple schematic.
I’m concerned about one thing w this setup.
Using a check valve on the pcv circuit between intake and can seems to indicate once under boost, the little check Valve will take the brunt of the manifold pressure and seemingly preclude the much more robust factory pcv to do it’s job as it’s blocking pressure to the pcv. I guess you take the cv out but now separator gets pressurized.. don’t like that!! Could block off manifold and use vacuum from turbo inlet.
Any thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
470 Posts
I plan on doing this as well. Mishimoto makes a kit for the Jeeps with the hurricane engine which is similar to ours. I was thinking about getting that and modifying it for our engine.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I know that earlier cars often benefited with Oil Vapor Catch cans, but with the known concern with DI valve deposits, and it seems just about every modern car is DI, I would suspect a manufacture would not skimp on a minor adaptation to their power plants if they thought it helped or actually worked. So adding one to a modern DI motor may not accomplish more than what the designer did. Just my opinion, of course. NV

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Active Suspension, LSD
1,693 Posts
I thought ours has 3 of them stock

·
Registered
361 Posts
I plan on doing this as well. Mishimoto makes a kit for the Jeeps with the hurricane engine which is similar to ours. I was thinking about getting that and modifying it for our engine.
We don’t have the same accessory drive system as the Hurricane motor. The Mishimoto can for the Jeep 2.0 includes a mount that won’t fit because of this. It might be cheaper to get a generic one, though the Mishimoto one might have connectors that match up with the Alfa.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
470 Posts
We don’t have the same accessory drive system as the Hurricane motor. The Mishimoto can for the Jeep 2.0 includes a mount that won’t fit because of this. It might be cheaper to get a generic one, though the Mishimoto one might have connectors that match up with the Alfa.
Yes, we won't be able to use the mount, but looking at install instructions, it looks like the tubing and everything is similar.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I gave them a call a while back and they didn’t think it would fit, but I wondered if that was just the mounting hardware. Let me know if the kit works if you get around to trying it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not sure a 2.0 really needs this. I've had a couple of heads off of high mileage Giulias and found no real oil build up on the intake valves. These motors have a pretty stout oil vapor separator built in the side of the motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Guess I'll be a guinea pig and find out. If there's no oil in the can after a couple thousand miles I'll save you all the time, money and troubles.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm not sure a 2.0 really needs this. I've had a couple of heads off of high mileage Giulias and found no real oil build up on the intake valves. These motors have a pretty stout oil vapor separator built in the side of the motor.
What would you call "high mileage"?

·
Vendor
2,828 Posts
I agree with Beta. I see no real reason to bother with this, the engine already has it built in.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a matter of interest,
from a technical standpoint, why did the heads need to be removed? With regard to carbon build up, the API oil designated sn plus and RC is important for DI engines. Apparently the chemical additives help limit carbon from building up by blocking polomer chains...bla bla....engineerese lingo.There’s a cool video explaining it. Sorry don’t recall link

1 - 17 of 17 Posts