Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my photography skills were liked (well by 99%) yesterday, I thought let's do something else.

Here we go with the process.

I did 6 coats with 15 minutes dry time between each coat. Watched the YouTube video how to do it and it was painless. For a white Quad this is ideal. Happy with results.

Photo 1 - Before (prepped and ready)
Photo 2 - After first coat
Photo 3 - After sixth coat
Photo 4 - Final product

Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Any pics from far? I'm wanting to possibly do it to my giulia

·
Registered
414 Posts
Looks good! I've never plastidipped anything myself so hopefully I can find a Giulia badge painted black online to purchase lol

Reactions: ATXQUAD

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good! I've never plastidipped anything myself so hopefully I can find a Giulia badge painted black online to purchase lol
I've never done it either. It's super simple.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't like it. As I zoom in to examine the details, I can see that that the edges are now messy, not crisp like the original. And the surface finish now has a rough texture, whereas the original was smooth. It probably looks good from afar but it's far from good IMO. Fine for a proof of concept, perhaps, but I couldn't live with it on my own car. To me, the Alfa is a classy upscale looking car and this mod looks cheap in comparison. But if you like it, then that's all that matters.

I've seen some Plastidip jobs that have a much smoother and flatter surface finish, so I'm not sure if the issue is with the particular product you used or your application in this case (cleanliness, temperature, humidity, technique). The manufacturer says you should allow 30 minutes minimum between coats, yet you only waited 15 minutes. You might want to peel this off and do it all over again to achieve a better finish. Just be careful scraping away the Plastidip from the body paint so you don't scratch it. I know you don't have to mask Plastidip but in this case you might get a cleaner edge if you did. But with all masks, the trick is knowing when to pull it up so you get a sharp edge and don't mess up the paint.

If I had to have a black Giulia badge on my car I would probably remove the OEM badge and replace it with a new badge that was refinished with Cerakote ceramic coating (very thin film and safe on plastics) or with a quality automotive 2k urethane paint. The Guilia badge is a tough one though because it is supplied between two sticky sheets: the backing sheet protects the mounting adhesive and the front contact sheet keeps the letters properly aligned during installation. So to refinish it you'd have to remove the front contact sheet without disturbing the letters, spray the letters black without letting too much paint bleed onto the backing sheet to avoid joining together with the letters, then allow it to fully cure before applying a new contact sheet to the front to hold your letters together in perfect alignment for installation. And hopefully then you can remove the backing sheet to expose the adhesive without the paint keeping them stuck together. A lot more work perhaps, but likely a much better looking option.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't like it. As I zoom in to examine the details, I can see that that the edges are now messy, not crisp like the original. .
Hardly bursting my bubble...it's just a fun thing I did for time killer. Might redo this weekend. I was really just trying it out. Can take it off and redo. No biggie.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I would disagree about messy edges, but my black Giulia is also pebbled...but I like that look. There are several varieties of Plastidip and a number of techniques, and I’m sure one might be appropriate to deliver a smooth and shiny finish. On the white, I can see an argument for the smoother finish, on an Alfa Black car, the pebbled finish gives just the right amount of contrast to make Giulia readable while still blending in.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
def simplifies locating at the airport....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had her at the airport yesterday for a quick day trip.

Since I valet there I'm not sure how much it helps...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice!

I've never used plasti dip ... Was it easy to remove from the paint? or did you have to tape around each letter?

Since my photography skills were liked (well by 99%) yesterday, I thought let's do something else.

Here we go with the process.

I did 6 coats with 15 minutes dry time between each coat. Watched the YouTube video how to do it and it was painless. For a white Quad this is ideal. Happy with results.

Photo 1 - Before (prepped and ready)
Photo 2 - After first coat
Photo 3 - After sixth coat
Photo 4 - Final product

Enjoy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice!

I've never used plasti dip ... Was it easy to remove from the paint? or did you have to tape around each letter?
No as you can see from pics I just blocked around all letters. Once finished, you just peel from the edge up and over and it peels around letters. Some good YouTube videos on it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
No as you can see from pics I just blocked around all letters. Once finished, you just peel from the edge up and over and it peels around letters. Some good YouTube videos on it.
Definate thumbs up the YouTube video search. The plastidip needs to be nice and thick to properly self-cut as you pull it from the letters. I used 8 coats...straight on, left side across, right side across, top across, bottom across, straight across, left side across and right side across. Each coat is pretty thin, but builds up well. The easiest way to remove it is microfiber cloth rubbing, it is said...I wouldn’t know as my plastidip is still perfect after 4 months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts