Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, my dealer had told me that 'the car needs to be really close to something" for the sensors to start warning you. I thought it was strange that mine didn't seem to be going off after i pulled up about less than 2' away from my wife's car the other day. When i was at the dealership I had the salesperson walk real close behind the car and in front...no beeps or warnings went off. I also pulled within inches of an Audi and a wall behind me and nothing. We figured something was wrong so she said she would have Service call me. The strange thing is that I was in a parking lot with my son yesterday and I was sitting still in reverse just about to shift to pull into a parking spot when another car came around the corner behind me and the rear sensors made a quick beep. I'm not sure what to think but I'm pretty certain something is wrong. Anyone else have this issue?

My Ti AWD has Driver Assistance Dynamic Plus and Static.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The front sensors are sort of a joke really. The rears are more sensitive and more useful.

I have a big flower pot in my driveway that I pull up near. The front sensor doesn't go off until I'm about two feet from it, which is just about where I plan to stop. Usually there's enough of a delay that I'm at a full stop before it alarms.

Adding to the insult, when I start the car to leave, the sensor starts alarming just as soon as I start the engine. It continues to squeal even though I'm in park with the P-brake set and while in reverse. I have to back up about two feet before it stops squealing at me. Keep in mind this is the two feet that it didn't squeal while I was moving forward as I was parking.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Gotta love that. So are these infrared or radar? I wonder what the wave cone or pattern looks like?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,373 Posts
The Giulia's front sensors and sometimes jumpy brakes are an entertaining mix.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I'm still convinced mine just don't work. I think as a test I'll try putting an object right in front of the car in the driveway so when I start it up again I'll see if they come on then.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Have you tried changing the sensitivity in the settings on infotainment system?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED....I put a trash barrel in right in front of my car and then went into the Parksense menu. I switched it to 'Sound and Display' from 'Sound' only and it must of triggered the system somehow because now it works fine!
I did several tests with pulling up close to the barrel and backing up to it, the front sensors seemed to start around 3'-4' away and the rear started around 4' or more.
Now I should go back out and test what happens if I change it back to Sound only.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes, this sounds like what was said in the AutoAvanti videos.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The front sensors are sort of a joke really. The rears are more sensitive and more useful.

I have a big flower pot in my driveway that I pull up near. The front sensor doesn't go off until I'm about two feet from it, which is just about where I plan to stop. Usually there's enough of a delay that I'm at a full stop before it alarms.

Adding to the insult, when I start the car to leave, the sensor starts alarming just as soon as I start the engine. It continues to squeal even though I'm in park with the P-brake set and while in reverse. I have to back up about two feet before it stops squealing at me. Keep in mind this is the two feet that it didn't squeal while I was moving forward as I was parking.
Mine acts exactly the same. I pull forward and stop before the sensor goes off. When I restart the car the sensor warning comes on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine acts exactly the same. I pull forward and stop before the sensor goes off. When I restart the car the sensor warning comes on.
I'm with you guys- stupid that the front sensors are active and reporting if the car is in P or R. I've also noticed that sometimes the front and rear don't turn off after I shift to P...other times they do. The good news is, I imagine that's a software fix, so if we figure out how to make as much noise as the sensors do, FCA might actually do something.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I guess the take from this is that they are just inconsistent across the board.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
So I guess the take from this is that they are just inconsistent across the board.
So it seems. The good news is that AR can adjust the software and issue a patch. But will they???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok so it's not only me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm going to hate it when I smash into a curb and have to redo the front spoiler.

·
Registered
223 Posts
With the newer builds (mine is 04/2018) is better but still are inconsistent (assuming the sensors are the same in the Giulia as in the Stelvio, what I drive). They work more or less as expected (for me) in dry weather. When it rains, forget about them. I just turned them off, otherwise sometimes they go off at a traffic light with nobody in front. Curious to see other views from newer builds ARs.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
With the newer builds (mine is 04/2018) is better but still are inconsistent (assuming the sensors are the same in the Giulia as in the Stelvio, what I drive). They work more or less as expected (for me) in dry weather. When it rains, forget about them. I just turned them off, otherwise sometimes they go off at a traffic light with nobody in front. Curious to see other views from newer builds ARs.
Mine work perfectly and consistently, Jan 2017 build.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Is there a way to forcefully trigger them? When pulling in straight after driving, they don't work; if I put it in reverse and back to drive, they work. When pulling out from a stop (from Park), they work; it's just when coming in front-end first after driving they don't seem to trigger.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Guys, my dealer had told me that 'the car needs to be really close to something" for the sensors to start warning you. I thought it was strange that mine didn't seem to be going off after i pulled up about less than 2' away from my wife's car the other day. When i was at the dealership I had the salesperson walk real close behind the car and in front...no beeps or warnings went off. I also pulled within inches of an Audi and a wall behind me and nothing. We figured something was wrong so she said she would have Service call me. The strange thing is that I was in a parking lot with my son yesterday and I was sitting still in reverse just about to shift to pull into a parking spot when another car came around the corner behind me and the rear sensors made a quick beep. I'm not sure what to think but I'm pretty certain something is wrong. Anyone else have this issue?

My Ti AWD has Driver Assistance Dynamic Plus and Static.

The quick beep from another car coming was to warn oncoming traffic when u put it in reverse. This feature comes with blindspot monitering

1 - 20 of 21 Posts