Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Giulia (only had mine for three weeks, although I've had Alfas for 37 years) and very new to this forum, but you guys have had the Giulia a good while longer than we have in the UK so I would like to canvas your views.

There is some discussion on the UK forum on the general convention best adopted when shutting down the engine (on an automatic) when parking the car.

Do you first hit the park button on the gear selector and then the button on the steering wheel to stop the engine or do you just hit the button on the steering wheel, allowing the electronics to select 'Park' and engage the parking brake automatically?

Your experiences on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hit the park button first and I actually look to see that it has moved to park as there is a short delay. For awhile I would just hit the stop button but I found that if I did that and lifted off brake too soon the engine would re-fire and lurch. There is another thread here on the subject and the majority say treat it as you would a mechanical shifter and put it in park.

Reactions: AustinJRod

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hit the park button first and I actually look to see that it has moved to park as there is a short delay. For awhile I would just hit the stop button but I found that if I did that and lifted off brake too soon the engine would re-fire and lurch. There is another thread here on the subject and the majority say treat it as you would a mechanical shifter and put it in park.
I've noticed the exact same behavior and follow the same steps as you do when parking.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'll hit park first and then turn off the engine. There was one time where I forgot to put it in park first and just turned off the engine, and luckily found out that the car will automatically puts itself into park when you do so. It's a really nice feature that it'll do that, I just don't quite trust it to be flawless all the time and I just don't think it's a good habit to get into, turning a car off before putting it in park. Then I'll also put on the electronic parking brake whenever I park on an incline.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Haha. You just missed a fairly heated thread about just relying on pressing the start /stop button to “park” the car. This is contrary to the operation of the car set out in the manual. Also there is a potential safety issue in that if the auto stop is engaged and you just press the start stop button to turn off the car, the car may restart and remain in gear. So I would suggest following the manual and always put the gear lever in park.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
Actually, hit the park button, then lift the parking brake switch, then check the indicators, then hit the engine start/stop button on the steering wheel and lastly take your foot off of the primary brake pedal.

Setting the parking brake prevents excessive force from being applied to the parking pawl in the transmission. In some hilly areas setting the parking brake is legally mandated before getting out of the car and failing to do so will make you liable for damages caused by your car if it should "run away". If the car will not restart, this will also make it easier to disengage the parking pawl for transportation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
All,

Has anyone else noticed that the car will still inch forward after shut down? I pull into my garage in D. Shift it to Park and then hit the Start/Stop. Depending on how long I wait to actually release the brake pedal, the car inches forward a little. Seems odd...

Thanks,

·
Registered
443 Posts
All,

Has anyone else noticed that the car will still inch forward after shut down? I pull into my garage in D. Shift it to Park and then hit the Start/Stop. Depending on how long I wait to actually release the brake pedal, the car inches forward a little. Seems odd...

Thanks,
Normal for any automatic. Put on the parking brake before taking your foot off the brake and it won't happen.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Normal for any automatic. Put on the parking brake before taking your foot off the brake and it won't happen.
Or just use the auto brake setting to activate the parking brake automatically every time you put it in park.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've been driving for 15 years and I've literally never engaged a parking brake on any vehicle. I'm pretty sure they're just to make people feel warm and fuzzy inside.
This is my first automatic so I ALWAYS used parking brakes in the past but I have seen the results on pawl failure on a few other cars. There is absolutely no reason not to use one and can save you lots of grief.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've been driving for 15 years and I've literally never engaged a parking brake on any vehicle. I'm pretty sure they're just to make people feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Never? I have seen damage caused by parked cars rolling down hills when the parking pawl fails. At least if you park on any kind of incline the parking brake should be engaged.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When parking on a steep hill, it's a good idea to engage the parking brake first, take your foot off the brake, then put it in park. Lets the brake take on the primary load.

In San Francisco, a great many transmission repairs are needed due to people relying on parking pawls when parking daily on steep hills.

·
Registered
507 Posts
For sure press "P" and wait about a half a second as it engages into Park. Then shut off the car. I know some who've ruined automatic transmissions because they treat their gearbox like a manual (for some weird reason) and shift in and out of Park, Reverse and Drive without allowing the car to come to a complete stop (creating a jerky sensation).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
Hmmm, yesterday I engaged the parking brake (checked the light), put the transmission in park (checked the light) and took my foot off of the brake pedal all in about 1 second. The car jerked very slightly when I released the brake pedal, leading me to conclude that the parking brake was not yet engaged even though the light was on. Not confidence inspiring behavior...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Even when you set the parking brake and you are on steep incline car will move a bit once you let go off the brake with the foot, suspension compreses, bushings compress etc....it is usually very small move but it is there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts