Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the Quad runs parallel turbos that are twin scroll. I understand how twin scroll turbos work when paired with even cylinder manifolds, but what about when it's 3 cylinders per bank? Is this even true about the Quad?

Jeremy Clarkson said in his written review:
"As is the fact that in both the twin-scroll turbo is in the V of the engine, giving instant punch when you so much as twitch your little toe."

I thought the turbos were externally attached to external exhaust manifolds? Is Jeremy right or wrong in one or two supposed facts?

Does anyone have more info on the exhaust manifolds and turbos?

Cheers

·
Registered
423 Posts
When Clarkson says "inside the V", he's referring to the 90 degree cylinder banks.

The turbos, integrated into the exhaust manifolds - to shorten plumbing/increase turbo response, are in the valley of the V6 engine architecture. This also saves space, packaging-wise, in the engine bay.

Some don't like Clarkson, I find his reviews pretty funny to read usually. He's on record for loving the QV too, right?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Clarkson has confused the Alfa turbo plumbing and engine technology with that of BMW and Audi. The German brands have located the turbos within the "V" for quite a many years. This places the turbos in place of the legacy intake manifold location.

It is a bit of a wonderment how they are able to manage the extremely high temperatures created within the engine valley. Everything is all about oil and coolant flow and some hefty turbo blankets I suppose.

When I heard Clarkson's statement, I raised an eyebrow knowing he mispoke. Entertainment value only. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for posting Mac.
Wow they are some small turbos literally just hanging off the block with very short manifolds.

It looks like the manifolds combine to one output, are the parallel turbos single or twin scroll?

Can twin scroll turbos be used with non-seperated exhaust outputs from manifolds (like what the diagrams look like) but still have the high and low exhaust channels in the actual turbo, just no exhaust scavenging?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clarkson has confused the Alfa turbo plumbing and engine technology with that of BMW and Audi. The German brands have located the turbos within the "V" for quite a many years. This places the turbos in place of the legacy intake manifold location.

It is a bit of a wonderment how they are able to manage the extremely high temperatures created within the engine valley. Everything is all about oil and coolant flow and some hefty turbo blankets I suppose.

When I heard Clarkson's statement, I raised an eyebrow knowing he mispoke. Entertainment value only.
Sure Eric, Clarkson is certainly an entertainer :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for posting Mac.
Wow they are some small turbos literally just hanging off the block with very short manifolds.

It looks like the manifolds combine to one output, are the parallel turbos single or twin scroll?

Can twin scroll turbos be used with non-seperated exhaust outputs from manifolds (like what the diagrams look like) but still have the high and low exhaust channels in the actual turbo, just no exhaust scavenging?
Found this in the US spec press release:

"In addition, the engine's turbochargers are integrated into the exhaust manifold and feature a low-inertia, single-scroll turbo design with variable-boost management for ultra-responsive throttle reaction."

·
Registered
423 Posts
Found this in the US spec press release:

"In addition, the engine's turbochargers are integrated into the exhaust manifold and feature a low-inertia, single-scroll turbo design with variable-boost management for ultra-responsive throttle reaction."
I remember reading that too.

So are turbos (IHI manufacturer?) twin or single scroll? Hoping the former as I've always understood twin-scroll to provide much faster response.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I remember reading that too.

So are turbos (IHI manufacturer?) twin or single scroll? Hoping the former as I've always understood twin-scroll to provide much faster response.
IHI is indeed the manufacturer for the Turbos, I do not believe they are twin-scroll, but I will page @MacGeek who will know.
While twin scroll help mitigate lag, I can tell you that up at the top end of the power range, they start to suck wind, literally.
3 of my cars have twin-scroll turbos and when they are pushed to accelerate quickly, off the line they really pop, but as you get going you can feel they start to max out the boost. not sure if this is a function of factory settings.....
as an aside...IHI turbos are what are in, for me, the ONLY car I'd sell an organ for:grin2: 288 GTO>:)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Dude! 288 GTO. :D And how about a 488 GTB? One of the Quad owners at Tutto Italiano this year was describing the engine and turbos as a 488 system with the front cylinders hacked off, NOT from a CaliT. I guess as a V8 car this could be true. Same boost pressures in use, 30psi, right? Levante is same as Quad with detuned heads ~ 400hp.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Cali T and Quad. I thought the manifold tubes were supposed to be same length for tuning? I guess they are ballpark due to the short run. And I think we are confusing "Twin Turbo" with "Twin Scroll."

Attachments

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Dude! 288 GTO. :D And how about a 488 GTB? One of the Quad owners at Tutto Italiano this year was describing the engine and turbos as a 488 system with the front cylinders hacked off, NOT from a CaliT. I guess as a V8 car this could be true. Same boost pressures in use, 30psi, right? Levante is same as Quad with detuned heads ~ 400hp.
Nope..a 288GTO is the one for me....488's are like Huyndais around my neck of the woods....
In order for me my F-Car world is,
1 288GTO
2.F40
3. 275 GTB Alloy Long Nose

So guys you may want to write this down, my birthday is coming up>:)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,444 Posts
Nope..a 288GTO is the one for me....488's are like Huyndais around my neck of the woods....
1 288GTO
2. F40

Not the Daytona or TDF?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
1 288GTO
2.F40

Awe yeah, and the more chrome the better? And for me a 599 GTO is next on the list.

·
Registered
423 Posts
IHI is indeed the manufacturer for the Turbos, I do not believe they are twin-scroll, but I will page @MacGeek who will know.
While twin scroll help mitigate lag, I can tell you that up at the top end of the power range, they start to suck wind, literally.
3 of my cars have twin-scroll turbos and when they are pushed to accelerate quickly, off the line they really pop, but as you get going you can feel they start to max out the boost. not sure if this is a function of factory settings.....
as an aside...IHI turbos are what are in, for me, the ONLY car I'd sell an organ for:grin2: 288 GTO>:)
Great info, thanks!

Maybe turbos are not twin scroll since from everything I watch/read, 2.9L really rips towards redline even with OEM state of engine tune.

Reviews also mention tolerable turbo lag, which is, IMO, an endearing characteristic of turbo engines I've come to enjoy with past/current cars I own.

Not that I'll ever get this deep into mods, but turbos integrated in exhaust manifolds limits turbo upgrade sizes (unless changing manifolds too)? I realize impeller wheel sizes could be upgraded within OEM turbo housing (if there is room to do so), but still...

But I'm not complaining. OEM power levels are incredible! I'm sure aftermarket tunes that optimize intake + full exhaust mods will be more than satisfying...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts