Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have thoughts/experience/suggestions with the following...

Park distance sensors are enabled for Loud audio but not making tone when I'm very close to curb. I've had Forward collision warning and blind spot settings disabled. Does that matter? Don't see how those would/should affect the parking sensors.

Thank you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the car for literally 24 hours. I'm generally a quick study with computer and car tech, but I have NOT yet checked to see if it sets off near a wall. Definitely I've come close to numerous curbs without sensor going off yet. I'll check driving near a wall. If it doesn't go off near a wall, then is there a setting I'm missing that you know of?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Giulia is not here yet, but the sensors in my Jeep are bumper-mounted, and generally only work on items at that height or higher. Bushes, poles, walls, gas pumps, people, large dogs, etc.

A curb might be a bit too low for the sensors to detect. Likewise, if it did detect something that low, things like speed bumps would probably drive you mad.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My Giulia is not here yet, but the sensors in my Jeep are bumper-mounted, and generally only work on items at that height or higher. Bushes, poles, walls, gas pumps, people, large dogs, etc.

A curb might be a bit too low for the sensors to detect. Likewise, if it did detect something that low, things like speed bumps would probably drive you mad.
That is correct. The sensors do not detect curbs, only obstacles about the height of the sensor. Be very careful pulling into parking spaces is all I can say

·
Registered
334 Posts
The sensors should work when you pull up to a wall, they will not usually go off for a curb height. You need to be very careful with the height of the lower air dam, I have already scratched mine twice with curbs that I thought were lower than they really were. Now I pretty much just stop short of any curbs or parking spaces that I even think could hit the front ....

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
a nit to pick with Alfa would be for them to simply allow the passenger side-view to tilt down when you are in reverse...this would help you with not curbing the rims...I'm perplexed why it does not do this....if it did...PDS is not needed for that..

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
A well-placed forward camera would also help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine beeps for curbs most of the time, though sometimes it starts to beep and then just stops while still parking. Also, if you pull in too quickly I have noticed they will not go off at all. Honestly, much like many of the electronics on the car the sensors are sketchy at best.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
That is why you should always park rear-in first (when allowed by law) so you can use your rear camera to back up, plus the rear bumper sits much higher than the front bumper and will not scrape on a bumper stop. You will save your front bumper from getting damaged if you make make this a habit and then it just becomes second nature parking this way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was going to do some testing this weekend. I wanted to see if curbs or curb stops could be detected by the sensors. Looks like we have different experiences noted above. I'll report my findings.

I do know the sensors have no problems with detecting walls or taller objects.

·
Registered
641 Posts
a nit to pick with Alfa would be for them to simply allow the passenger side-view to tilt down when you are in reverse...this would help you with not curbing the rims...I'm perplexed why it does not do this....if it did...PDS is not needed for that..
Some of us on this forum use seat and mirror setting 3 for that. When reversing I hit button 3, mirror angles down. Done reversing hit button 1 and mirror back to regular place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts