Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like alot of you I occasionally hit the Panic button resulting in embarrassing situations. Never had to deal with this with any other car I've owned. I was kind of bored at work and figured out how to deconstruct the key fob. Sorry I didn't get detail photos as I was doing it. The pieces are basically held together with clips. I removed the plastic protrusion (figure 4) with some shears. This prevents the sensor from activating. The only recommendation that I have is not to pull the entire rubber cover as depicted in figure 4. I would simply pull the inferior "panic" part up as in figure 3. Fig. 5 is the final product.
Maybe the next project should be to find a way to disable the Auto Start/Stop function.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes! Thank you very much. I did this, it was easy and works great! or doesn't work great... how ever you want to look at it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Interesting. I haven't accidentally hit the panic button, yet. But I do love DIY anything posts. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just my perspective

Don't mean to be a killjoy....just not a fan of "breaking" things..... I'm way more into "preservation"......I would tend to ask of myself, "why do I keep engaging the Panic Button" rather than..."How can I *uck up my Alfa's key fob...."....

Don't mean to piss anyone off....just don't see "Breaking" something as "DIY" or a cool "MOD"....D

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
I had the same issue; the Panic button is way too sensitive.

I got a leather holder for the key fob, which solved the issue for me.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I set my panic off at the dealer recently. All I did was bend over to look at the tire. Not touching anything at all. Car is open and unlocked. Just started screaming the horn at me. Took four people to shut it off.

Yesterday I was getting gas and washing the windshield. Leaned across the hood and the trunk pops open. The biker getting gas started laughing so hard I thought he was going to drop his bike.

Not so sure I want to disable the two buttons. I never use them. But...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Where'd you find the key fob holder? Do y'all offer one?

The worst is having the panic go off while the car is in the garage, or late at night. I've also come out of a building to find the trunk hanging wide open. I originally didn't think I'd be interested in modding the fob, but I'm getting to the point where I may actually follow the DIY. Thanks @2020.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where did you get the leather fob?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I also find panic button too sensitive. But I wanted to keep it for use in finding car in the parking garage or maybe for an actual panic event.

So just shortened the plastic nub so that it still would work but now you not have to push it very hard to make the contact.

Now it works great as you have to push pretty hard but it's still reliable for on and off. Volla! the button now works like it should have originally.

The way I did it was with a metal file. I Took apart the remote it's pretty self-explanatory and then peeled the rubber diaphragm back so I could get at it easily and tried to keep any hard rubber filings from getting into the mechanism. But DON'T pull it all the way back off all the 5 buttons as it's VERY hard to get the nubs to go back into the buttons afterwards. Just pull back the one off the panic button. I then filed it back to the exact size shown in the photo. I had to do it a couple times but this size seems to be the perfect size.

NOTE: as you can see from the photo I did pull all 5 nubs it out of the rubber diaphragm. For each knob that you pull out you have to file around the edges of those knobs making each of them a smaller diameter because they will not go back in the holes unless you make them a slightly smaller diameter. I tried pushing on them hard, getting them wet everything possible but in unless you file them down to be a smaller diameter they will not snap back in to the hole. That is why I suggest you only pull back the one off the panic button and use a small file. And you also have to make that nub a smaller diameter too. If you do end up taking off the whole diaphragm off all 5 buttons you can get good access to the knobs really easy and just file all five of them down if you want as I did but it's a lot more work and more risky. Just get a narrow file maybe even a fingernail file would work it is quite hard plastic and easy to file.

My photo does not show The nub down to a smaller diameter it because I only figured out you have to make it a smaller diameter later. You don't have to take a lot off the diameter but enough to make it snap into place. You can test it easily every time you file it down.

When taking some of the height off of the panic button just remember if you file too much off it won't work at all or worse it could work intermittently which means it might turn it on but you might not be able to turn it off!!!!

Again go for the height size in my photo and it will work perfectly. The photo with the two nubs shows the original size and the single nub is the correct shortened size. And of course you only grind down the one for the panic button. But you could do the same thing for the remote start button.

And to take the mechanism apart you should use a small flat blade screwdriver. The way I did it was to very carefully first pry off the big black cover, then very carefully wedge the screwdriver blade in at the top of the 2 prongs on the silver U shaped piece. It's kind of sketchy but you'll figure it out. Then once you have that U-shaped part removed you can easily just pull back the rubber diaphragm all the way but do not try and remove it completely.

This is not an easy mod and unless you have good light, good eyesight and are comfortable prying around with small things. Although I was ultimately successful putting it back together it was quite hard getting all the parts to line up perfectly. I was worried that I might be breaking some of them. I did slightly tear the diaphragm when I was trying to push those nubs hard back into the holes before I discovered the only way is to file them down to a smaller diameter.

The silver U-shaped clip is a bit tricky you hook it at the bottom first and then line it up at the top and then you just squeeze it straight together. It's not simple to figure out and it doesn't go easy and you have to work at it and I felt like I could break something at any time. But eventually I just squeezed together hard and it snapped back into place. So for me it all went back together and looks just fine. But I think I'll wait and get my courage up to do my second one I'll just do the one I use most of the time for now. Actually the second one will be very easy as the hard part is just figuring out how the clips work and what not to do.

But I will say it's night and day difference testing the two remotes, the original unmodded one and my new modded one. I sure like how my modded one works a lot better, it's perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, I found this because I accidentally hit my panic button, and the ONLY way I could turn it off was to get in and drive >5mph. Is there another way? I RTFM, but didn't see much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So, I found this because I accidentally hit my panic button, and the ONLY way I could turn it off was to get in and drive >5mph. Is there another way? I RTFM, but didn't see much.
I had to do the same thing the time I accidentally set mine off. Since then, I've read the manual and apparently if you hit the panic button again it will go off. When I set mine off I was at a picnic and it was embarrassing so I grabbed my FOB and just started pressing buttons. Once I did that there was no way to shut it off. I actually got in and started it to move it farther away in the parking lot and when I hit 5 MPH it went off on it's own. I didn't know it would do that, either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had to do the same thing the time I accidentally set mine off. Since then, I've read the manual and apparently if you hit the panic button again it will go off. When I set mine off I was at a picnic and it was embarrassing so I grabbed my FOB and just started pressing buttons. Once I did that there was no way to shut it off. I actually got in and started it to move it farther away in the parking lot and when I hit 5 MPH it went off on it's own. I didn't know it would do that, either.
I had a good laugh at the "quirky Italian-ness" of that design- "We keep the panic alarm going until you're safely away from danger!" translates to, "the alarm will shut off once the carjacker successfully leaves your lifeless body on the sidewalk". I swear I tried to hit panic again to silence it, but will have to try in a secluded area.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Did second remote today here's some further information.

So the second remote mod went much quicker only about 15 minutes. This time I only peeled back the panic button so I only had to grind down the diameter of only one button nub. Much easier than having to grind down the diameter all five of them.

When I thought I had it done I tested the remote and it wasn't quite what I wanted as it was a still a little too easy to turn on the panic button so then I opened it up again and ground it down more but this time I went a little farther than I had done on the first remote. So now on this remote I have to really really push hard down. It still works reliably but it seems you can customize how far you want the button to have to be pushed. But again DON'T grind it down too far or it won't work at all or even worse work intermittently. And I did come a little too close for comfort to that with the second remote. It worked out fine but I was impatient and took too much off to quick without testing it first. I would do that diameter reduction part first and get it so you know it works and then grind down the height of the nub second. And do it a little bit at a time and test it each time as it's really easy to test it.

Took some photos of the button ground down as you can see you really have to grind around the edges you reduce the diameter quite a bit to make it snap back in the hole. That's actually the hardest part of this.

I taped some paper towel over the holes so any filings from grinding would not get into the remote. But be careful not to get duct tape on any of the silver part of the remote as it will peel it's paint off. I used a fingernail file this time but resorted to my big metal file as it was a little easier and quicker.

So you're at if you're up for things like this it's a great mod as now my remotes will never go off into panic mode from being in my pocket or reaching my hand in my pocket as it happened too many times before.

But if you're not good at things like this you might like to have someone else do it because you could damage your remote. Probably the rubber diaphragm is the thing you have to be most careful about peeling that back without stretching it too hard.
Good luck I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Leather key fob cover

Do you sell the leather holder for the key Fob? I have been unable to find one as have others.. thanks

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Do you sell the leather holder for the key Fob? I have been unable to find one as have others.. thanks
Leather FOB cover, hmm.... That's an idea.

I keep setting off my remote. The trunk opened once while I was washing the windshield. I've set off the panic multiple times just bending over.

I started the engine once. I was in the cabin (in the woods) about 25 feet from the car. I bent over to pick up something and thought I heard the alarm set. So I clicked the button and actually set the alarm. About five minutes later we walked up the hill to the car and found the engine running.

And to add insult to injury, any time I try to open the trunk with the trunk release on the trunk deck, it arms the alarm. LMAO

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
This key fob is huge. I sure wish someone at Alfa had the sense to make a slimmer one.

Reactions: DEEZZ

·
Registered
812 Posts
This key fob is huge. I sure wish someone at Alfa had the sense to make a slimmer one.
Agreed! It is too large. But have you checked out the distance for the panic button to work? It is a long ways and handy for finding in your car in a parking garage.

And even the 4C key fob is too large.
At least the cars they make are svelte!

·
Registered
80 Posts
another question: say you modify it and the panic function gets set off some other way. Now you have no way to shut it off. Is there any software fix to disable the panic function?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts