Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked through the manual and couldn't find how to pair the garage door opener. Anyone know how?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found a previous thread and did it. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check starting on p. 57. There's a whole section on setting up the Homelink (assuming you have that option) It's standard for all Homelink cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Using the "learn" button on the unit itself didn't work out well for me, after 10 attempts I gave up - Maybe others have better luck. Instead I just used the remote itself and that worked instantly the first time.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Me too!

Using the "learn" button on the unit itself didn't work out well for me, after 10 attempts I gave up - Maybe others have better luck. Instead I just used the remote itself and that worked instantly the first time.
I posted about this on another thread. I have two different garage door openers and have been unable to get it to pair with either one. I followed the instructions on the YouTube video.
Someone suggested that it is because I am using a replacement opener, not the manufacturer's original. But that doesn't explain why it won't work with either one.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
I posted about this on another thread. I have two different garage door openers and have been unable to get it to pair with either one. I followed the instructions on the YouTube video.
Someone suggested that it is because I am using a replacement opener, not the manufacturer's original. But that doesn't explain why it won't work with either one.

Step 1: Push the button you tried to program, does it blink fast or slow? What about the other buttons? A slow blink is not programmed. So if you have a slow blink, same rate as the non-programmed buttons, then you need to start here. I move A LOT for work so I redo these things all the time and never have issues, same car... In my parent's BMW I had ****. It was very particular about how close I held the transponder to the visor. Normally, I just put the remote right next to the visor or mirror and mash the buttons until I get the lights to change rate. If after say 30 seconds I don't get the change I release and start again. In my parent's car I was "too close" and it took me a while to figure this out.

Step 2: Assuming you have the fast blink meaning you have the Homelink programmed you need to address the motor. Put the door up. Find the purple, sometimes green, button on the motor and push it, sometimes a hold. You should get a new light on the motor. Run back to the car and push the now programmed button (fast blink still, yes?)

Step 3: Hold that Homelink button until the Learn light on the motor goes out - some start to flash (you did keep the manual for the garage door motor right?). You now need to keep pushing the Homelink button until the door pairs. Usually a few cycles of push/release. Homelink will stop sending after like 30 seconds or so so if you don't have the motor accept the new transponder start again.

If you have an aftermarket transponder it proves your motor is able to accept new transponders and that it's compatible. Unless your system is from the 80's I doubt this is the issue.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks again.

If you have an aftermarket transponder it proves your motor is able to accept new transponders and that it's compatible. Unless your system is from the 80's I doubt this is the issue.

Copied and printed.
Will try again over the next few days and let you know.
Thanks for the help, MrMegadeth. Hope you are able to get some movement on your infotainment update efforts.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm happy this subject has been brought up again.

Still haven't gotten mine synced, gave up and just use my regular remote.

This will give me renewed conviction to try again.

Thanks,

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hmm. That's from the online version. The version with my car doesn't say anything.
This is still the case. I have the fourth edition user manual that came with my car. I believe the car left the factory 6/15/17 according to miscellaneous paperwork (packing list) I found in the glove box. No mention of the garage door. But the version online includes it. Here is a link to the online manual. Then do 'control f' and search for 'garage.'

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/content/dam/alfausa/uploads/owner-manuals/QV/2017-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia_Quadrifoglio-OM-2nd_R2.pdf

Mine required me to clear the memory (hold button 1 and 3 till flashing occurs). Press learn button on garage door motor. Press whichever button you want to allocate the garage door to (button 3 in my case) it flashes slowly. While this occurs press the button on the handheld garage door opener that has the signal you require until garage door flashes. press the handheld garage door opener again and the homelink button flashes fast. It is set.

They all seem to vary slightly by brand and model. I have a garage door motor chamberlain.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,477 Posts
I struggled with this earlier today and will try again another time. Usually much easier. What's different about Alfas?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
I struggled with this earlier today and will try again another time. Usually much easier. What's different about Alfas?
Mine would not program using the garage door remote. I had to push the "learn" button on the garage door opener chassis and follow the procedure for homelink in my car. This was with an old and obscure opener, Giulia learned enough after three iterations (supposedly typical). I haven't tried it yet on my newer garage doors.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've done it both ways...using the learn on the head and with the garage opener. Both ways was tedious and took multiple tries and usually involved clearing the memory at least once. And then a little happy dance when the **** thing finally worked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts