Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my windows tinted and car washed last week and this week noticed what looks like a grease stain on my paint about few inches in lenght. Won't wipe off, any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Can you post a pic? Can't imagine why there would be a grease stain from a tint job, unless someone was careless from another job. Pick up a clay bar if you don't have one or use a grease cutting detergent like Dawn or a kitchen spray like fantastic or greased lightning. Fantastic is safe on enamel paints and has been used by the Marine 1 crews for the presidential helicopter. Works well on my cars. If the clear coat was stained or marred somehow (from a strong solvent) then you may need to buff it off. Be careful because you don't know how deep it goes. Maybe get a body shop to clean it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Can you post a pic? Can't imagine why there would be a grease stain from a tint job, unless someone was careless from another job. Pick up a clay bar if you don't have one or use a grease cutting detergent like Dawn or a kitchen spray like fantastic or greased lightning. Fantastic is safe on enamel paints and has been used by the Marine 1 crews for the presidential helicopter. Works well on my cars. If the clear coat was stained or marred somehow (from a strong solvent) then you may need to buff it off. Be careful because you don't know how deep it goes. Maybe get a body shop to clean it.
If you use a kitchen based detergent or spray you MUST wax immediately after. Dawn like detergents fully remove all waxes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the pic execuse the smudges from my fingers trying to wipe it off

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have clay at home though so should I try that ?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Here is the pic execuse the smudges from my fingers trying to wipe it off
That looks like adhesive from the tint. If the clay bar doesn't work you might try some goo gone or orange citrus. If that doesn't work, goof off, but be very careful...it can remove paint if left on too long.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stopping rubbing it without a solvent. Soak a soft microfiber towel with WD40 (use a decent amount) and try to clean the area. Try that first. If that doesn't clean it, we move up the solvent scale. A good product for stuff like this - Wurth CleanSolve - have to buy it mail order, but it's good stuff, safer than goof off in my opinion.

Clay bar is good too, but follow the directions and use plenty of the solvent spray when claying, the kit will come with it. Only clay wet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stopping rubbing it without a solvent. Soak a soft microfiber towel with WD40 (use a decent amount) and try to clean the area. Try that first. If that doesn't clean it, we move up the solvent scale. A good product for stuff like this - Wurth CleanSolve - have to buy it mail order, but it's good stuff, safer than goof off in my opinion.

Clay bar is good too, but follow the directions and use plenty of the solvent spray when claying, the kit will come with it. Only clay wet.

Thank you and yes I got plenty detail spray for the clay bar

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes do the clay bar with detail spray.

Is it the dark cloudy area, the light cloudy area, or both? Light cloudy looks like adhesive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes do the clay bar with detail spray.

Is it the dark cloudy area, the light cloudy area, or both? Light cloudy looks like adhesive.

Tried the clay, barely put a dent if any at all. Ended up putting some light swirls in the process but that can be corrected, what's next to try? What's crazy is the stain looks like under the clear coat or absorbed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does anyone know if acetone is safe for paint? It's my go to for sticky tape residues and fine for glass. Agree with above, don't rub hard without a solvent. Another option is to try waxing the area - it acts like claying but clay is better because dirt particles are absorbed in the clay whereas with waxing they stay on the cloth. But, I'd you're going to paint correct with orbital buffer and polish it won't matter much.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I would try WD40 first as well...if something slightly etched clear coat, scratchX 2.0 could do the magic as well...that stuff is good also for tough mineral deposits

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah there you go, I was thinking of the etch effect. You might also try some amorall just to see if it fills the etch. It won't remove it but hide it for a bit, if at all. Try WD40 after that. If it doesn't help try some scratch remover. The Formula1 stuff at Pep Boys looks like the old Maguire's Swirl remover. It has a slight citric acid in it and buffing compound that help polish out the fine swirls. I think it has a poly filler too so they kind of meet in the middle. I have had good results from both. That's a softer step to take before going to rubbing or cutting compound. Darn shame they let something sit long enough to do that. Kinda crazy and worse than bird poop. Oh and try Goo gone but it looks like it's in the paint or clear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.