Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Unfortunately my fiancee was pulling into a parking spot and scraped the left rear fender of my Giulia on a cement pillar. It looks like this now https://i.imgur.com/d9tNq8e.jpg. It's rosso competizione. I should theoretically have paint repairs covered under an expanded premium care warranty I'm paying for with my lease so hopefully it's covered.
However I am curious if someone could explain to me the different layers of the paint and why the scratch has a white color. I'm also curious as to how some of you would go about repairing it if you were to DIY.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Ouch unlucky! I've scraped the underside of my nose a few times so know that feeling first hand. I think that's in a tough spot that you'll be able to properly match it and repair unless you have your own body shop. Due to the location and that your paint it brand new (which makes it harder to finish too) I would get it done professionally especially if it's covered.

If you did it yourself you'd have to sand it down, fill the lines, sand it again until it's perfectly smooth, primer, paint, clear coat and blend it properly.. not an easy job to be honest.

The white is the undercoat/primer which is the first coat sprayed on for the paint to stick to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch unlucky! I've scraped the underside of my nose a few times so know that feeling first hand. I think that's in a tough spot that you'll be able to properly match it and repair unless you have your own body shop. Due to the location and that your paint it brand new (which makes it harder to finish too) I would get it done professionally especially if it's covered.

If you did it yourself you'd have to sand it down, fill the lines, sand it again until it's perfectly smooth, primer, paint, clear coat and blend it properly.. not an easy job to be honest.

The white is the undercoat/primer which is the first coat sprayed on for the paint to stick to.
Thanks for the info it's really helpful! My salesperson told me he's going to arrange something with the GM and hopefully get back to me later today about where and when to drop off the car.

Do you think having PPF back there would help at all with cement scrapes or would the cement rip straight through that?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
PPF would likely have gotten chewed and just been the first layer to go. If it's already down to primer the ppf wouldn't have done much, especially since the post was concrete. If it was wood or plastic, maybe some flex would have prevented deeper gouging under the ppf.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Unfortunately my fiancee was pulling into a parking spot and scraped the left rear fender of my Giulia on a cement pillar. It looks like this now https://i.imgur.com/d9tNq8e.jpg. It's rosso competizione. I should theoretically have paint repairs covered under an expanded premium care warranty I'm paying for with my lease so hopefully it's covered.
However I am curious if someone could explain to me the different layers of the paint and why the scratch has a white color. I'm also curious as to how some of you would go about repairing it if you were to DIY.
Hard to tell from the photo, but was the pillar painted white? Some of that looks like white paint and then some appears to be missing clearcoat.

It could be that the clearcoar was scratched and looks white, or the pillar transferred some white paint to the fender and also removed some clearcoat.

Either way best of luck with the repair.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to tell from the photo, but was the pillar painted white? Some of that looks like white paint and then some appears to be missing clearcoat.

It could be that the clearcoar was scratched and looks white, or the pillar transferred some white paint to the fender and also removed some clearcoat.

Either way best of luck with the repair.
I don't think the pillar is painted white, at least it just seemed like concrete to me. To the touch you can definitely feel the scratches .

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
... and you are still engaged?

Anyway traditional tricoat consists of a silvery base layer, a translucent color layer and a protective clear coat layer. There may or may not be a primer underneath the base layer. Light goes through the color layer twice, yielding that deeper than paint appearance.

The white you see might be the silvery tri-coat base layer or it might be primer.

I will guess that at a minimum the entire panel needs to be repainted in order to avoid a splotch coloration. Unfortunately that is probably the largest panel on the car as it extends forward over the doors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts