Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had this issue and how did Alfa deal with it? I have and 18QV just delivered. I had a 3M clear covering on the bumper and hood. The bumper did not go on perfectly and the installer removed it in order to do it again. When he did paint pulled up over both headlights down to the primer. The installer is a reputable guy that works on high end cars and uses quality products.

I’ve taken the car to the Alfa dealer and they will be contacting Alfa tomorrow. The dealer warned me that the factory may not cover this. My reaction is that factory paint should be more than tough enough for this and the either the car was patched at some point or the paint is faulty from the beginning. Don’t want to pre judge but will be very angry with Alfa if they dont fix this. Dealer says whole bumper should be repaint. I agree but that is a major expense.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. I do agree the factory paint should stand up to that. In my case i have a black Q.V. 17 and i used Epel pro. It took over 6 weeks to get it on and for me and the installer to be happy with it. I can tell you during that time it was put on and taken off many times in some areas as much as 5-6 times. Paint looks prefect. Epel is thicker, sticks harder and is a little harder to work with. I think something else is going on there. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I feel your pain but I doubt Alfa would accept responsibility for this. Their position will be you applied an aftermarket product to the paint. Not sure how you can be mad at Alfa. I had opticoat ceramic put on mine and the detailer said it's one of the best factory paints he's seen. I wish you luck and maybe they can determine the cause...a bad cure possibly. But it could also be a bad removal...past performance by your detailer on other cars doesn't guarantee success on yours. Mistakes happen.

Reactions: Max and Endeavour

·
Registered
422 Posts
Adhesion problems with the paint, perhaps? Or, the paint was compromised there with a cut from razor blade and it lifted when he pulled away.

Someone has to pay, doesn't matter who. I wouldn't take sides- let the installer and dealer battle it out. Bottom line is you don't pay.

rjp

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Looks like a bad formulation on the plasticizer for the bumper. You want it flexible obviously but not so soft it peels...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a friend that does body wraps all the time. Clearly, no pun intended.,this drops in the lap of your installer. If he’s a real buisnessman he’s got insurance and this should be covered, no problem...Bit If it’s just a buddy doing it as a favor, I think you’re pretty much out of luck.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We had clear bra installed by the dealer before shipping. It was a partial. I hated it and it was a poor job (bunched in the slits of bumper) so i asked the detailer to remove and install the full film. He told me up front. “Something” could happen and the paint could come off. It could be the paint hasn’t had enough time, the dealer could have had an “accident” at delivery (not Alfa the dealer) and said it happens. Let me put it this way. I was relieved when it came off clean. I did not think that if it did peel it would be Alfa’s fault. We were warned it could happen. I didn’t ask the detailer who’s fault it would be but I think we assumed it would be ours since we accepted the risk.

If your detailer has done enough cars I am surprised he didn’t let you know what “could’ happen. The detailer that we use if very well known in the valley and does top notch cars (ours QV was slumming for them) and it has happened to cars rare but it happens. When it does it stinks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess it all depends on how the clear bra was removed.
If the installer more or less pulled it off, there's a chance of damage especially if the paint isn't strongly bonded/protected - which might be the case around sharp curves/edges.

And if this applying/removing was done multiple times, well ...

In my case, I had a chance to witness my partial hood (Xpel) being removed (I hated it - what a waste of money). My detailing guy offered to remove it for free. He used a heat gun to get the Xpel to lift off from the edges, and then it was brute force and the heat gun occasionally.

I was cringing thinking the paint was going to come off, and said so. But the guy was confident, he had just applied Gyeon's Duraflex after detailing and polishing some days ago and said the paint job was really good and he didn't think it was a problem. He did mention other brands where the paint was so 'soft' that he would have had to use a heat gun all around.

-krish

·
Registered
876 Posts
let me tell you a story, how i was installing clear bra on 300k bentley bentiaga, just delivered to dealership, clear bra was still wet so not that adheasive, had to adjust mirror placment, lifted up with the paint..

conclusion, either paint was still too fresh, or bad prep, and another thing, paint doesnt stick as good to the plastic as it does to the metals, keep that in mind :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for detailed responses. I agree that things are rarely due 100% to one cause. If the clear bra installer did a bad job removing the film maybe there would some damage but if he was careful and competent, as I believe he is, then they paint must be pretty weak. The dealer said that they do clear bras on all their Ferraris and Maseratis so I don’t think they can take issue with the actual fact of applying a film. My hope is Alfa wants to hold their cars, and their paint, to a very high standard and build their reputation in the market. It looks like the edges were not prepared properly, being very smooth and perhaps not having sealer under the primer. The paint around the fringe is very flexable and looks like to would pull off in sheets if you pulled on it some more.

Still qurious if anyone has had similar or other paint issue with a Giulia and how FCA responded. Thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And is that Alfa Rosso? Is it single stage? All the metallics are ti-cotes and may have an advantage that way. Sorry this happened. Hope dealer or installer can cover the repair. Good news is Alfa Rosso should be easy to match.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I found this video below. But I don’t know if this helps or not? But it seems to me by watching this production line on these cars its all pretty automated and held to a pretty high standard.

I can’t see how a robot would miss coat of paint or primer or clear coat.. But I’m not sure about the plastic pieces? These pants are baked to a specific temperature and cured before they reach assembly as well, let alone shipped out.. So many variables coming into play when you start factoring in third-party applications of anything you do to a new car after you purchase it.

It’s commonly known in the automotive industry when you alter a new car anyway it voids the factory warranty, period.

This goes for mechanicals and electronics, as well as any application or changes to the paint.

That is unless the dealer sold you something as an extra add on offered in the manufacturers catalog branded in this case by Alfa Romeo or Mopar.

But I don’t know too many dealerships that stand behind anything aftermarket beyond that, like all the tempting goodies and tweaks being suggests and advertised on this fourm for Giulia's.

You just got to be aware of these things when you start tweaking on your new car as we all most certainly do from time to time.

This is coming from a guy thats had over 30 years of association with retail automotive industry and had a few vintage Alfa Romeos over the years and still does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HJHxlIGfeo

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I like that video. The only thing that could happen if the dealer had to have a repair on the bumper and it was aftermarket paint. They don't have to report that unless it is $1k. It is also weird that it is in the same spots on both sides which may strengthen your case but I am not sure where the line is drawn with AR. We apply a bra remove it and reapply (did the same thing and was shaking in my boots because the rubber bumper paint or plastic can come off). I would start collecting some expert collision letters with an assessment that your OEM paint is flawed. I think that will carry a lot of weight. Otherwise, if AR takes your detailers word great but how is AR suppose to understand that your detailer didn't do it because of their reputation. Not sticking up for AR and they may be looking at a goodwill thing here. But they may be able to send some inspectors out to make an assessment on your paint. They have meters to determine the quality of the paint and if yours is below the threshold of their quality standard then you will likely have a good case and they will cover it. They do use a razor as part of the removal. I would hope that is not the area they started with. A good thing would have been if they would have taken a photo of what happened with the first light then video them pulling it off the second to show it was not them. I would have done that just to cover my ass if I was the detailer.

Our detailer did take a reading on our paint before it was detailed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone else had this issue and how did Alfa deal with it? I have and 18QV just delivered. I had a 3M clear covering on the bumper and hood. The bumper did not go on perfectly and the installer removed it in order to do it again. When he did paint pulled up over both headlights down to the primer. The installer is a reputable guy that works on high end cars and uses quality products.

I’ve taken the car to the Alfa dealer and they will be contacting Alfa tomorrow. The dealer warned me that the factory may not cover this. My reaction is that factory paint should be more than tough enough for this and the either the car was patched at some point or the paint is faulty from the beginning. Don’t want to pre judge but will be very angry with Alfa if they dont fix this. Dealer says whole bumper should be repaint. I agree but that is a major expense.

Thanks
Sorry that happened to you. I just purchased a TI Sport with the Tri-coat red and had the dealer install a 3M clear bra on the front bumber and 24" of the hood. After about a week or so, not all of the bubbles cleared so i took it back and they re-did the entire clear bra, and the paint was fine. This seems to be a defect from the factory and I would fight tooth and nail....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. I just purchased a TI Sport with the Tri-coat red and had the dealer install a 3M clear bra on the front bumber and 24" of the hood. After about a week or so, not all of the bubbles cleared so i took it back and they re-did the entire clear bra, and the paint was fine. This seems to be a defect from the factory and I would fight tooth and nail....
So how do you prove factory defect? Would it not affect the whole car as well and how would that be resolved? That was just the area on the bumper that was impacted?

The good thing is the paint match on the factory Rosso Tri Coat is not perfect because of the material difference. I see a difference although slight. Maybe they will repaint better. Look forward to hearing how they resolve.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Unless the wrap installer removed the front fascia and wrapped the edges, I suspect that the previously posted hypothesis is correct: the wrap installer nicked the paint when trimming the wrap along the edge weakening the paint so that it pulled away more easily than it should have. Alternatively the wrap installer applied too much heat to remove the wrap causing the paint to become too soft.

Either way, it is probably impossible to prove it. Contamination of the plastic prior to painting could also cause a problem like this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We need a complete shot of the compromised sections, especially the under side where it has pulled away. This could be a cut job by your installer, or just improper removal technique (did he use a steamer etc). The fact that you have to say he's reputable blah blah, basically means he's not. This is on your installer 100% either way. He botched the install, botched the removal and now tells you it's not his fault. You should be angry at the person who messed up your car...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. However I can’t see why you are going after Alfa for this. You tried to stick an after market product on your car. Doing so should be at your risk. You will have to try to work something out with your installer on this. I would be very surprised if Alfa agrees to repaint your car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts