Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharper Image installed my tint several weeks ago. In the process of getting paint protection film on complete hood, bumper, side fenders and side view mirrors. Great company and highly recommend. Real professionals. Tint has lifetime warranty and PPF 10 year warranty. Pictures of hood being applied and completed.

Attachments

Reactions: TedO

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Looks good. Two questions - how much does it roughly cost (assume you can get it done any time?) and secondly do you not need to wax/polish it with that film?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
Sharper Image installed my tint several weeks ago. In the process of getting paint protection film on complete hood, bumper, side fenders and side view mirrors. Great company and highly recommend. Real professionals. Tint has lifetime warranty and PPF 10 year warranty. Pictures of hood being applied and completed.
Just to make it clear, the company applying the PPF is Sharper Images, not to be confused with the retail clothing store Sharper Image.

Some questions:

What happens to the PPF at seams, such as where the faschia meets the fender or where the fascia meets the headlights? Keep in mind that it is common to need to remove the fascia for some maintenance operations.

What happens around badges, door handles and similar items that stick out?

·
Registered
658 Posts
As far as timing is concerned, the issue is the chips in the paint. The longer you wait the more chips there will be and they will be preserved under the film if you don't have all of them filled first.
The film doesn't cover seams between panels. The good installers will carefully wrap the film round all panel edges. It definitely doesn't hinder panel removal.
Badges are areas where the excellent installlers can cover them without leaving any trapped air or water.

You don't have to have the entire car covered in film and I discovered the it works well when combined with ceramic paint protection. Because you can end up with a glossy wet look over the entire car without needing wax.
Other forum members know a lot more about the process and technology than I do.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Thx interesting. I was trying to get my head around if your wrap 'some of it' you'd surely get different wear, gloss etc. Sounds interesting, wonder if a respray is cheaper though? We don't highway ours too much so thankfully that reduces peppering

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The average person will never know a car has paint protection film on it, even if only the partial front 1/3 of the hood and fenders is covered.

Reactions: FNM

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
it looks neat, I'd never heard of it. I'd just call out a mobile sprayer on my cars like 'chips away' in England if it looked like turd and they match it perfectly. Wonder how it compares price wise?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The front end of the Giulia is a bit easier than the Quadrifoglio but not by much. Entry level into the club for PPF is around $1200USD

Not sure how this compares to the product you're referring to?

Reactions: FNM

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
ouch that's a lot. Think i'll respray if I need to but then I have a different setup to a lot of people. My neighbor got his S4 pretty much two weeks differenence and has driven 1000's of miles and peppered the heck out of it.. in that circumstance i'd do it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just got a "Track Wrap" done last week, $2200.00

Full front end, A-pillars, 1/3 of the roof, rocker panels, upper rear bumper, luggage area, lower rear 1/4 panels, door handle cups

Xpel, 10 yr. warranty

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
My car's front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, the side fenders, side skirts, and the rear luggage area are wrapped in clear bra. I also have the film applied to the inside of the rear doors where people step as the paint is exposed to scratches.

I recommend doing the head lights as a minimum because this will prevent any fading and yellowing over time. The headlights will remain looking brand new for years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To answer some of the questions. Approximate cost was $1300, it's pretty labor intensive but definitely worth it especially if you have tricoat paint. That can't be matched well. Definitely recommend going to a professional who's been in business for a while with good reviews.

Film applied was Suntek PPF Ultra, they do have contracts with pretty much all manufactures so can get whatever you want.

Most cars don't need correction for paint, but if that's something you like it can be done for extra since part of prep work.

As for the wrapping around edge, you can choose to have them take off panels and wrap completely around or else they will approximate to the edge and cut wherever they can't wrap. I chose to not have them take off panels, bumpers, etc off.

Some more pics added too.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
you and I used the same product...and I am very happy with it...my installer removed the front panels to wrap the film around..
I chose what they also called the "Track Pack" it included
Front bumper, Hood front fenders, side view mirrors, the lower body fascia where the CF is, the rear quarter panels & wheel well areas..
cost was $2081. w/tax.
I did not have a paint correction done as I was pushed for time..before the film they did a nice detail and polished it up after..

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Doesn't make sense to do it on a leased car. I wanted a clear bra. I'll still get an estimate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The side skirts seem to take more of a beating. Doors aren?t bad, occasionally some mud in rain but I think you?d be ok not applying film to the doors to save money. So far the paint protection film has exceeded what I thought and saved numerous rock ships. Can?t wait to see how it does in th winter here in the north east.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The side skirts seem to take more of a beating. Doors aren?t bad, occasionally some mud in rain but I think you?d be ok not applying film to the doors to save money. So far the paint protection film has exceeded what I thought and saved numerous rock ships. Can?t wait to see how it does in th winter here in the north east.

I have suntek on all my other cars. I would NOT drive a special car on the road w/o it. I just cannot stand the thought of chips debris damage. I work too hard to have nice cars and I work too hard to keep nice cars...nice.

my questions about ppf and here to apply it for the qf are due to what is a unique shape and some apparent non traditional target areas that may benefit from ppf.

the ppf is still expensive and my goal is always to get away w/ the minimum ppf while getting the needed protection. I always prefer real paint as opposed to real paint covered by ppf.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts