Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken a chance on DIY PPF? As a lease I only want to spend on the front bumper and hate partial wraps. Local shop wants $650 for a bumper. That's crazy. I also don't want to deal with chips.
If any of you have used a kit out there, I have a TI SPORT AWD fully loaded (Vulcano Black), 2018. Id love to know what site you worked with and how your experience was.

I have owned my Giulia for going on 2 months now and have only minor things that I need to correct. The metallic paint helps hide a lot, and the car somehow has come through unscathed fairly well for the driving it has seen in the past 2 months but very soon I need to get this thing clayed/decontaminated, corrected, alcohol wiped and coated to prepare for rougher months ahead. Doing the prep work then driving it to have it wrapped doesn't seem wise, nor does paying someone to do the prep work as I have all the 'stuff' myself but PPF is new to me so my thought leads me toward DIY. I'm fairly meticulous and will spend the time as needed, but also realize this is not a DIY effort for the faint of heart...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Spend the money and let a pro do it. Do you really want to learn on your car? Mine has the clear track package with carbon fiber wrap on the bottom front, rockers and bottom rear. The track package covers the front, hood, front fenders, mirrors, door cups and door edges. Well worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with Alfa55. I did the headlights on the second generation X5 and the curves and small crease were ridiculous to deal with...and of course getting rid of air bubbles was trying. I also consider myself OCD but still had a hard time. So, my advice is to pay a professional for any extensive area of film.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
When the lease is up, what IF the application was not done perfectly and causes the paint to peel on PPF removal?

Even with a pro installation, there were bubbles they had to remove and they knew how to.

Seems like a risk you won’t want on a new Giulia.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
When the lease is up you leave it on I'm sure they won't catch it. Paying $1,500 for a nose re-paint if chipped badly is always an option. Paint peels when moisture gets between layers, such as those bras that were the rage years back. That doesn't happen with wraps. The wrap is tucked around all edges for an air and water tight fit. Mines been on for a year and still looks new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts